1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Highly Unusual Backlinks

Hi All

I was wondering if any of you have ever seen something like this before or could possible shed some light as to why it might be happening.

I think that Google is seeing three of our sites as the same site. Each of these sites are showing identical backlinks - it shows that each site has the same links pointing to it but this is far from true. Each of the sites are completely different with completely different domains, they are related by industry but that is it.

It's possible that a handful of sites that link to one domain also link to another, but this will be a very small percentage of the total backlinks to any one of the domains. The two main sites (A+B) link to the third site (C) and site C links to both A and B, but A and B don't link to each other at all.

The three sites do sit on the same load balanced machines but they are on different external IPs. Is it possible that a DNS setting somewhere may be confusing Google and making it think that the sites are all one in the same?

I haven't posted the domains in question as it's my first post here for about a year but I'm happy to post more details on request.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this one really has us scratching our heads.

Best regards,

Tim
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Google only shows a selection of the back links to its sites. I would say that as they are in the same industry the same links that they all share are what go into googles link:yourdomain.com command.

First thing to do - do you get each individual site when you type the URL?
    Secondly check Google's cached pages - if they are all individual sites then there is no DNS problem.

Check the links in yahoo and MSN.

I don't think you need worry. Google will take into account all links that it has.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi tstolber

Thank you for your feedback, however I don't think it's an issue of the only links showing due to a coincidence in what Google has decided to show.

Some of the inbound links only exist for one of the domains (they are links from the same domain) yet the Google link: command is showing these same links for the other domains, when they don't or have never existed for them.

Also, we've noticed that Google sporadically lists our url for one of the domains as www.domain.com/index.asp,http://www.domain.com which obviously results in a 404 error. We do use a 301 redirect to clean index.asp from the domain name but we've made sure we use a 301 so as not to confuse Google, unfortunately it looks like it may have had completely the opposite effect.

The cache's for the sites do seem to be intact but unless all the sites showing the same backlinks is a temporary Google freak out, I'm concerned we have something inherently wrong with our setup.

Best regards,

Tim