1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

High ranks initially but after few days ranks are dropping!

Hi guys,

I need to know the answer to a critical question, I'm unable to figure out what are all the consequences.
    When I created a new page with a certain subject, I can rank on the number one page in the search engine results but after few days or
    weeks, the results are showing on 2nd page or 3rd page of Google.

I don't know what is the issue, what was wrong in that. Ranking on page 1 when I created a certain page and dropping the ranks after a few days.

Please give me clarity on this. What are all the things to change in this situation?

Waiting for your valuable reply guys.

Thank you!
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Normal, google figuring our where it needs to rank.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Aug 4th, 2018 at 02:54 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Normal, google figuring our where it needs to rank.
    Then why initially it is ranking on first page and dropping after that. Even the new sites are ranking better with some pages with even duplicate content. Then how it will be?
    I would like to know.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If it ranked on the first page, it means it was viewed to be relevant by Google for a given search query "at the time". If it dropped after that, it means Google has discovered other pages that were found to be more relevant than your own page for the given query after some time.

Your competitors are keeping up with you and you need to continue to keep up with them, and get ahead to rank ahead.

If you share us your page, the other pages that beat it, and the search query, I'm pretty sure we can come up with a lot of reasons.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Sandy2012
    If it ranked on the first page, it means it was viewed to be relevant by Google for a given search query "at the time". If it dropped after that, it means Google has discovered other pages that were found to be more relevant than your own page for the given query after some time.

Your competitors are keeping up with you and you need to continue to keep up with them and get ahead to rank ahead.

If you share us your page, the other pages that beat it, and the search query, I'm pretty sure we can come up with a lot of reasons.

Hi @Sandy2012

1. Keyword: embassy edge
    Page - housingman.com/projects/embassy-edge

2. Keyword - assetz soul and soil
    Page - housingman.com/projects/assetz-soul-and-soil-bangalore

3. Keyword - reliaable dollars colony
    Page - housingman.com/projects/reliaable-dollars-colony-plot

These are few pages which ranked high initially in the first page of Google and later dropping gradually and most of the pages
    have the same scenario as this.
    Last edited by matt1966; Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by solaraju
    Hi @Sandy2012

1. Keyword: embassy edge
    Page - housingman.com/projects/embassy-edge

2. Keyword - assetz soul and soil
    Page - housingman.com/projects/assetz-soul-and-soil-bangalore

3. Keyword - reliaable dollars colony
    Page - housingman.com/projects/reliaable-dollars-colony-plot

These are few pages which ranked high initially in the first page of Google and later dropping gradually and most of the pages
    have the same scenario as this.
    You can give us a screenshot of search results from your end so we know which pages are beating your own pages from your own perspective (i.e. search results will differ between you and someone else). This way, we can tell you (if you are unable to figure it out) how this page or that page beat you.
    Last edited by matt1966; Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can give us a screenshot of search results from your end so we know which pages are beating your own pages from your own perspective (i.e. search results will differ between you and someone else). This way, we can tell you (if you are unable to figure it out) how this page or that page beat you.

Check out the attached screenshots for 2nd and 3rd keywords.
    https://ibb.co/gQ1SLe
    https://ibb.co/kGj3tz
    https://ibb.co/cwVMfe
    https://ibb.co/cT8UYz
    https://ibb.co/j2Ru0e
    Last edited by solaraju; Aug 8th, 2018 at 05:25 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, let's give this a shot. I'll use the one on position 10 (based on the screenshots provided) as basis for comparison.

For the keyword assetz soul and soil:

Competitor (10) vs You (25)

Where you lost:
    - domain name (competitor has obvious advantage)
    - Page Speed Insights reading for desktop
    - natural use of keyword in the body whereas you have it only as headings
    - backlinks with keyword as anchor texts (I used SEO SpyGlass for this and although no tool is accurate, it shows that you have way more backlinks than your competitor but the keyword was never once used in the anchor texts. Your competitor however has fewer backlinks but they were able to use the keyword in the anchor text. Many of your backlinks are also questionable - bookmarking and forum sites - so this is definitely a case of you needing to look more into quality instead of quantity of links)

For the keyword reliaable dollars colony:

Competitor (13) vs You (20)

I decided not to pick your competitor on position 10 because it again has the obvious advantage for the domain name (https://reliaabledollarcolony.upcomingestate.com/). Next in line would be YouTube (11) and Quora (12) which are obviously very powerful sites so I settled with competitor on position 13 instead.

Where you lost:
    - exact keyword used (although your page title states "dollars", everything else on the body is "dollar". Competitor however stayed true with the keyword and used "dollars")
    - ok, I'll stop at this
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, let's give this a shot. I'll use the one on position 10 (based on the screenshots provided) as basis for comparison.

For the keyword assetz soul and soil:

Competitor (10) vs You (25)

Where you lost:
    - domain name (competitor has obvious advantage)
    - Page Speed Insights reading for desktop
    - natural use of keyword in the body whereas you have it only as headings
    - backlinks with keyword as anchor texts (I used SEO SpyGlass for this and although no tool is accurate, it shows that you have way more backlinks than your competitor but the keyword was never once used in the anchor texts. Your competitor however has fewer backlinks but they were able to use the keyword in the anchor text. Many of your backlinks are also questionable - bookmarking and forum sites - so this is definitely a case of you needing to look more into quality instead of quantity of links)

For the keyword reliaable dollars colony:

Competitor (13) vs You (20)

I decided not to pick your competitor on position 10 because it again has the obvious advantage for the domain name (https://reliaabledollarcolony.upcomingestate.com/). Next in line would be YouTube (11) and Quora (12) which are obviously very powerful sites so I settled with competitor on position 13 instead.

Where you lost:
    - exact keyword used (although your page title states "dollars", everything else on the body is "dollar". Competitor however stayed true with the keyword and used "dollars")
    - ok, I'll stop at this

Ok. I agree with that. But what about other websites. Even they are very new and the text is duplicate with no quality backlinks.
    Even the ones you are referring for dollars colony, the site's content is duplicate and our content is written and original,
    can you plz explain this.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok. I agree with that. But what about other websites. Even they are very new and the text is duplicate with no quality backlinks.
    Even the ones you are referring for dollars colony, the site's content is duplicate and our content is written and original,
    can you plz explain this.
    - being new doesn't always make a website inferior vs. one that's old. If it's more relevant and more informative, despite being new, then it will be more superior.
    - if something is a duplicate, you may not really know if that is the original or the duplicate. You may think it is the duplicate but Google "might" have viewed it as the original and the other versions the duplicate.
    - when you mentioned quality backlinks, your own backlinks actually have quality issues (links from bookmarking and forum sites). If you think they are guilty, you are just as guilty.

When you evaluate your own pages, focus on areas that you can improve - and control. Do not focus on what you think is the fault of your competitors. Google is the judge for that, not you. So you think your content is original while theirs is duplicate? That is out of your control. Google has already judged them to be more relevant so you need to figure out what made them more relevant - instead of why you think they shouldn't be more relevant.

So in the case of referring for dollars colony, the competitor stayed true to the keyword while you didn't. This is an area you can improve. Forget about "your content being original and theirs being duplicate" because as far as current rankings is concerned, that is clearly not enough to beat the competitor. Concentrate on your weak spots and improve those.
    Last edited by Sandy2012; Aug 9th, 2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: OC
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

- being new doesn't always make a website inferior vs. one that's old. If it's more relevant and more informative, despite being new, then it will be more superior.
    - if something is a duplicate, you may not really know if that is the original or the duplicate. You may think it is the duplicate but Google "might" have viewed it as the original and the other versions the duplicate.
    - when you mentioned quality backlinks, your own backlinks actually have quality issues (links from bookmarking and forum sites). If you think they are guilty, you are just as guilty.

When you evaluate your own pages, focus on areas that you can improve - and control. Do not focus on what you think is the fault of your competitors. Google is the judge for that, not you. So you think your content is original while theirs is duplicate? That is out of your control. Google has already judged them to be more relevant so you need to figure out what made them more relevant - instead of why you think they shouldn't be more relevant.

So in the case of referring for dollars colony, the competitor stayed true to the keyword while you didn't. This is an area you can improve. Forget about "your content being original and theirs being duplicate" because as far as current rankings is concerned, that is clearly not enough to beat the competitor. Concentrate on your weak spots and improve those.
    Ok @Sandy2012. Thank you for your information. I will concentrate on my weak spots and will improve those things.
    Can you let me know a few things like

1. How can I improve rankings for my site for generic keywords - [flats for sale, apartments for sale]
    2. As you told few of my backlinks are from forums and bookmarking, what are the best ways to get backlinks
    3. Tell me a few critical things for our site to improve on which you think is very critical

Thank you.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1. How can I improve rankings for my site for generic keywords - [flats for sale, apartments for sale]
    https://searchengineland.com/shot-ranking-phrase-288663

2. As you told few of my backlinks are from forums and bookmarking, what are the best ways to get backlinks
    https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-s...rity-and-links

3. Tell me a few critical things for our site to improve on which you think is very critical
    - as of this post, "/" redirects to "/real-estate-in-bangalore" yet "/" returns a 200
    - apart from the images, H1, page title, and URL, content needs to differentiate the page for Bangalore from the page for Chennai, etc.
    - https://developers.google.com/speed/...re&tab=desktop

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  25. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Ok @Sandy2012. Thank you for your information. I will concentrate on my weak spots and will improve those things.
    Can you let me know a few things like

Thank you.
    Sir, nobody can claims for their suggestions will provide the results that you are expecting. You should read Sandy's link first also immediately stop doing the activities what you are doing.
    Keywords never rank but webpages list in organic searches and you couldn't make sure how Google will list your webpages in organic searches, so build an strategy which insists your or prospective client for bookmarking, sharing, marketing your site, implement this and see the results I am sure that will help to meet your requirements.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:33 PM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  27. No Profile Picture

Did you add a good page? Perhaps the content that you added didn't bring you benefit. So you can't forget that you need to do SEO every day because your competitors do it every day. So the position can change every day.