1. Give me Backlinks
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Question High Competition for a keyword?

I use a software that tells me the competition for a particular keyword. If the software shows a very high competition for a particular keyord, I interpret it in this way- there are a lots of guys using this keyword for their sites, but the most optimized site will win the race. However, other members of our SEO team simply discard a keyword if the competition is too high. Is my opinion right? Or we can't use a keyword with too much of competition, even if it's the most relevant one?
  3. Professional SEO

Focus is THE goal you should aim! Think what is essential and then go after it.
  5. Give me Backlinks

Cool High Competition

Thanks 2k.<br>
    I am working at backlinks.<br>
    Don't mind, but I couldn't quite get you (too dumb for you folks)!
    So here again I ask, should I keep competition in mind while contemplating to use a keyword?Yes, or no.
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Maneesh...

Your teammates are toad hunters... but you can be the one who makes the big kill.

If you have strong SEO skills and are willing to work very hard on backlinks and building a powerful site you will be the one who accomplishes big things.

Some search terms are very very competetive such as "web hosting" ... lots of smart computer savvy people... other search terms do not have that same level of SEO skills being applied. Do the analysis and then go one step more to evaluate the competition. They may be unskilled, running low PR sites and you will be able to defeat them.

You seem to have a competetive spirit. You can be the one who succeeds.

Go for it!
  9. Head Honcho

EGOL is right, as always

Originally posted by EGOL
    Your teammates are toad hunters... but you can be the one who makes the big kill.

EGOL is soooooo right here. Don't forget - even though positions 1-10 are the <B>coveted search spots</b> that you want to be in, there are STILL some people that will scan through pages and pages of listings.

So, assume you choose two keywords:

The <B>first keyword</b> is not very competitive, and gets about 100 searches a month. If you are in the #1 position for this keyword, you might get all 100 searchers to come to your site (100% clickthrough - yeehaw!).

The <B>second keyword</b> is VERY competitive, and it gets 50,000 searches a month. Now, if you're in the 30th, 40th or 50th position, it is not impossible to get 100-1000 clickthroughs for this keyword, simply because there are so many people searching on this keyword every month. But that would only be a <B>0.2 - 2%</b> clickthrough rate, which is small, but you can see that you'd still be getting more than that first keyword.

And eventually, as you continue to improve the site, the <B>second keyword</b> will climb in the listings, and that's what Egol is referring to - the <B>"big kill"</b>.
    Take care,

... Christopher @ BeRomeo
    -----------------------------------------
    Download your Free Seduction eBook:
    http://www.BeRomeo.com
  11. Professional SEO

should I keep competition in mind while contemplating to use a keyword?Yes, or no.
    No, if it serves your goal!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I agree with EGOL, go fo rthe big one but keep a few back-ups.

Our main keyphrase is extremely competitive but we have now managed #4 in google.co.uk and #10 in google.com. This has partly been due to good optimisation, but mainly due to patience and the drive to find new links.

I was originally advised not to go for this keyphrase but go for ones that had less searches, so I placed our main keyphrase first and then went for three smaller ones as well and now we are in the top ten for all of them.

The key to it all is patience and effort, put the effort in by getting the backlinks and have the patience to wait for the backlinks to work. It has taken about 8 monthes for it to work for us, but now that it has I've seen sales double in the last month alone.

Steve