Thread: Here goes!

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Here goes!

I have a website which is a .co.uk and want to change over to a .com as the primary extension. My hosting comp. will be mapping the site over so that if .co.uk is typed in it will just go to the .com. What I need to know is how do I 'tell' Google that the site listed should now be the .com version.

If I submit the .com site to Google that won't de-list the .co.uk and this would effectively become a mirror site which I could possibly be penalised for couldn't I? Plus, by re-submitting would I be risking the site's position within Google anyway?

Chris
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hi Chris,

best to do is 301 redirect:
    A 301 redirect is the most efficient and spider/visitor friendly strategy around for web sites that are hosted on servers running Apache (check with your hosting service if you aren't sure). It's not that hard to implement and it will preserve your search engine rankings for that particular page.

A 301 redirect is implemented in your .htaccess file.

What is a .htaccess file?
    When a visitor/spider requests a web page via any means, your web server checks for a .htaccess file. The .htaccess file contains specific instructions for certain requests, including security, redirection issues and how to handle certain errors.

What is a 301 redirect?
    The code "301" is interpreted as "moved permanently". After the code, the URL of the missing or renamed page is noted, followed by a space, then followed by the new location or file name

How do I implement a 301 redirect?
    First of all, you'll need to download the .htaccess file in the root directory of where all your web pages are stored. If there is no .htacess file there, you can create one with Notepad or a similar application. Make sure when you name the file that you remember to put the "." at the beginning of the file name. This file has no tail extension.

If there is a .htaccess file already in existence with lines of code present, be very careful not to change any existing line unless you are familiar with the functions of the file.

Scroll down past all the existing code, leave a line space, then create a new line that follows this example:

redirect 301 /old/old.htm http://www.you.com/new.htm

It's as easy as that. Save the file, upload it back into your web and test it out by typing in the old address to the page you've changed. You should be instantly and seamlessly transported to the new location.

Notes: Be sure not to add "http://www" to the first part of the statement - just put the path from the top level of your site to the page. Also ensure that you leave a single space between these elements:

redirect 301 (the instruction that the page has moved)

/old/old.htm (the original path and file name)

http://www.you.com/new.htm (new path and file name)

Search engine spiders & 301 redirects
    The 301 redirect is the safest way to preserve your rankings. On the next spidering, the search engine robot will obey the rule indicated in your .htaccess file. The search engine spider doesn't actually read the .htaccess file, but recognizes the response from the server as valid. In the next update, the old file name and path will be dropped and replaced with the new one. Most importantly, the 301 redirect is recognized by the mightiest of search engines - Google.

Hope this was helpful
  5. Contributing User

You haven't got to tell google anything. If your .co.uk site is no longer online (i'm presuming it isn't) google will de-list that site over time and your .com will become visible.

Make sure you have a couple of solid links from important resources pointing to your .com domain, this will help google to find your new site.

just using the devil icon, because i like it

7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

@ jimmy

Its not so easy better do the way that functioned a lot of times ago!
  9. No Profile Picture

Many thanks guys you've been really helpful. Excellent explanation firestarter. Much appreciated.

Chris

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo