1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

HELP!! optimise & keywords for ireland

Hi,

I am currently optimising an irish site ( well its a .com )... I have done keyword analysis for a major keyword yet it doesnt show any keywords that are serched with the word irish or ireland included..

so is there a special keyword tool i can use for ireland alone? i currently use Keyword Tracker... or are tools like Keyword Tracker showing results from an irish searcher or all internet searchers?

can i do a search engine ‘term search’ for searchers using the particular search engine from Ireland only?

Or do i optimise for google not com and google.ie will take care of itself?

please can you help??
    Last edited by algo_cruncher; Oct 20th, 2006 at 01:54 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture

i may not have explained to well:

I am optimising for a .com but they want to target the irish market.

but when i have done my keyword analysis, suggested search terms show that no one is searching keywords like ' widgets in ireland' or 'irish widgets'

so i need 2 know if i optimise for google.com. as usual. it will still target google.ie users.

Does google default to google.ie for irish users?
    And if there was a search done on google.com or google.co.uk for 'widgets in ireland' would it automatically pull results that would show up on google.ie.

Or would i need to include these keywords in my title, even tho know one is searchin them? how best do i optimise for the irish market? or do i just optimise for google.com and it will take care of its self?

i really do need help on this guys... pls
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

*how best do i optimise for the irish market? *

I'd do the KW analysis based on UK data, and ensure the site is hosted in Ireland...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well why dont you use a Keyword Research Tool such as Word Tracker or Inventory.

Akash
  9. No Profile Picture

First of all I would recommend you to use wordtracker. In my experience it’s much more accurate than any other tool I’ve used. You can just pay for one day, which is quite cheap, so I don’t think this would be a problem.

Putting the word Ireland (or any other name of a country) in the title and h1 tags has helped me quite a lot on several occasions when doing some geographical seo. But the main reason why this helps is because most people just type in the name of their country right after the keyword they are looking for, even when they have an option to select to view only sites of their own country right in front of their noses.

Now, this works pretty well for me but in Hispanic markets (optimizing for each google version for each country) so unfortunately I haven’t tried this for Ireland. So I wouldn’t know if it’s quite common for people in Ireland to search in the same way. Try to obtain this information from someone reliable. Don’t just ask people around in forums, cause people don’t always do the things they say they do. Some internet marketing firm may have conducted some sort of professional survey/ research on this matter.

What glengara just said about hosting your site in Ireland can indeed help, but I assume you probably already have a hosting account so maybe you won’t be able to do this. I personally target several markets in different countries and have many websites so I obviously don’t go around paying hosting services all over the world. It would cost me too much. I just use a couple of hostings (the U.S. is my place of choice), so I rely on other tactics of course to rank well geographically.

Try getting links from sites that are important in Ireland (hosted in Ireland may help as well) for example.

As you probably noticed you won’t always get the same results using google.com than google.ie or google.co.uk. And if you only optimize for google.com that won’t just do the job for other googles. Trust me.

The differences are even much bigger when comparing the results in spanish speaking countries. Even though you might type the words in spanish in google.com, when you do the same search in, let’s say, google.com.pe (peru) you get totally different results. Really a big headache to optimize. This of course is because there is another language involved. The results do vary dramatically then. It seems google.com gives more weight to links comming from english sites and spanish versions of google (e.g. google.es from spain) give more value to links comming from spanish sites. Thank god you won’t be having these kind of problems in this case.

Cheers

Coqui

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Coqui, this was a high quality reply. Nice job!
    Last edited by Coqui Colunge; Oct 21st, 2006 at 06:28 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Matter of interest Coqui, are there spelling differences between the different Spanish variants like between American/British English?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by glengara
    Matter of interest Coqui, are there spelling differences between the different Spanish variants like between American/British English?
    Yes there are differences, sure.
    Not that i worry too much about them though.

Coqui
  15. No Profile Picture

as i said i do use wordtracker and there isnt any thing coming back for searches done for example 'widgets in ireland' or 'iris widgets' nothin related to ireland...

so wot if im in the UK and want to find for example 'irish widgets' ? how would the search engines return the results?? would it use data on googles.com datacentre .co.uk's or google.ie datacentres.

so what you are saying i cant optimise my keywords for ireland..

i can only use my head tags and get in hosted in ireland??
  17. No Profile Picture

If nothing is coming up with the word Ireland it’s probably because not many people are searching for that phrase/keyword.

By the way, why would you want to target a keyword that no one is looking for?
    Not that you shouldn’t of course. You may have other reasons. But usually people target keywords that are being searched so that it could be profitable. So I was just wondering…

Another interesting point is the fact that it will probably be quite simple to rank well for this particular keyword, cause there is probably only a few sites competing for it, right? So if I were you I wouldn’t worry so much in this case.

Try doing some seo like suggested in the previous posts and you’ll probably get good results. If not, you can always come back for some more help here at the forum.

Originally Posted by algo_cruncher
    so wot if im in the UK and want to find for example 'irish widgets' ? how would the search engines return the results?? would it use data on googles.com datacentre .co.uk's or google.ie datacentres.
    If you use google.co.uk it will return results from uk's datacenters of course (no matter where you are)
    so what you are saying i cant optimise my keywords for ireland..
    yes you can optimize for the keyword "ireland" within google.co.uk, sure. Use some of the strategies mentioned in previous posts, but change them to UK of course. I thought you wanted to rank well in google.ie and not google.co.uk
    i can only use my head tags and get in hosted in ireland??
    You can use many other tips of course. Not only these two. You can also start by using general SEO tactics, these will work fine as well.

Hope it helps

Coqui
  19. No Profile Picture

No its the oposite its a major keyword, but my company want to target the irish market becasue no one else seems to be doing it..... like i say I have done keyword analysis with wordtracker but no one is searching these terms... so why would i optimise if no one is searching.... its pointless... but i need to give them reasons why not to target the irish market.....

Originally Posted by Coqui Colunge
    If nothing is coming up with the word Ireland it’s probably because not many people are searching for that phrase/keyword.

By the way, why would you want to target a keyword that no one is looking for?
    Not that you shouldn’t of course. You may have other reasons. But usually people target keywords that are being searched so that it could be profitable. So I was just wondering…

Another interesting point is the fact that it will probably be quite simple to rank well for this particular keyword, cause there is probably only a few sites competing for it, right? So if I were you I wouldn’t worry so much in this case.

Try doing some seo like suggested in the previous posts and you’ll probably get good results. If not, you can always come back for some more help here at the forum.

If you use google.co.uk it will return results from uk's datacenters of course (no matter where you are)

yes you can optimize for the keyword "ireland" within google.co.uk, sure. Use some of the strategies mentioned in previous posts, but change them to UK of course. I thought you wanted to rank well in google.ie and not google.co.uk

You can use many other tips of course. Not only these two. You can also start by using general SEO tactics, these will work fine as well.

Hope it helps

Coqui
  21. No Profile Picture

Ok I get it now.

You are in the UK but you want to target Ireland.

If you say it’s a major keyword then it’s probably been searched in Ireland as well.
    It’s just not being searched using the word Ireland next to it.

This is not unusual of course. It all depends on the market.
    For example if someone who lives in Madrid is interested in getting a hair cut he is definitely not interested in “hair salons in Barecelona”. He would probably type best hair salon in Madrid. But for someone who is only interested in buying a SEO ebook, he wouldn’t care if that ebook was originally written in Sri Lanka or in England, cause he’ll just buy it online. He wouldn’t use those words next to the keyword “best seo ebook”.

So it all depends on the type of product / service you are offering.
    I have no idea to what that is but if you say it’s a major keyword then it’s probably just not being searched with the word Ireland next to it, that’s all.

So if I were you I would just try to target the main keyword, plain and simple. And try building strong links from Irish sites (try sites hosted in Ireland and sites with the Irish TLD’s pointing to your site)… and just go for it.

In this case there is probably no other way.

But you might want to do some experimenting with the Irish market if you wish first.
    You can try to experiment by doing an Adwords campaign first, just to see how the visitors from Ireland respond.

I’ve used this method before and it has worked for me.

You spend some money buying some traffic from google and see what happens.
    And check out the IP addresses and you’ll notice how many come from Ireland and you’ll get a slight idea of the size of the market (if that is one of your goals of course).
    Or just bring some traffic from Ireland only. It all depends on what you want.

Once you know what would happen, then you’ll see if it’s worth all the SEO work.

Well hope that helps.
    Gotto go now…

Coqui