Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Help I've been Banned!

Hi all,

One of my favourite sites has been Banned from Google!

I had a PR5 home page and all of the reciprocal link pages had a PR3, which, after months of link trades, made this site into some nice real estate!

Then ZIP - there it was - GONE.

No PR and Google started reporting zero links to this domain;

www.bulletproof-web-hosting.com

I'd be greatful for any critiques or suggestions. How do I get un-banned? Any ideas on why this site might have been banned?!

Many thanks all!

Doug
    Last edited by douglaslampi; Jun 9th, 2004 at 08:44 AM. Reason: correct speling
  3. Contributing User

when we took over the web development of one of our clients from another company that managed to get the domain banner, we emailed google - help @ google.com and eventually they got back to us and removed the ban
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

maybe you could tell us, what you have done
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What do you think might have gotten you banned?

Is there any actualy content on your site, or is it just a link exchange/ad site?
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I wonder if Google is considering this site a link farm. When I clicked "site map", I got a page with tons of links - it looks like a link farm to me since many of the links are not related to hosting, and the link text is often "spammy" in nature. Every page I went to on the site has very little valuable content. The pages seem to just be optimized for specific key phrases. The overall impression I get is this is a site that was designed to rank highly for many hosting related key words with little concern for useability. Sorry, it just looks spammy.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The site looks spammy but can you really get banned just for that. Is there any duplicate site or have you used cloaking. I have heard that they are hunting down the cloaked sites but not sites with lots of links on them. The site map seems to go to pages on the site but those link out. I noticed that there are several links on the same page to the same site. That could trigger some filter or ban maybe? Most likely its because somethings (links) are used in exess. Strange that they still are showing the Adsense though. I would email them and ask whats up, if you are lucky, maybe they answer.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

personally, I think it's right for Google to take action again this type of site. Sites of this nature really don't add any value to the Internet as a whole. They make people get confused, lost and aggravated. A site like this does not belong anywhere near the top of the serps. The searcher would most likely be much happier finding pages for companies that actually offer hosting, or maybe a page that reviews hosting providers. Maybe information about how internet hosting works. Something that offers what the user is looking for. The page is question clearly doesn't. I don't know that banning is the right thing. I think you need to have a blatant disregard for Internet users in order to be banned, or attempt to take advantage of the SE in a non ethical way.

This is of course just my $0.02
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe you could contact google and see what happened,
    even if this site does not add value , it should not be banned
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd contact them via telephone- it seems to get far better results that way.
  21. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Whitesell
    When I clicked "site map", I got a page with tons of links - it looks like a link farm to me since many of the links are not related to hosting, and the link text is often "spammy" in nature. Every page I went to on the site has very little valuable content. The pages seem to just be optimized for specific key phrases. The overall impression I get is this is a site that was designed to rank highly for many hosting related key words with little concern for useability. Sorry, it just looks spammy.
    I'm sorry Whitesell but this is just about the lamest post I ever read...
    I was going to reply to each point but they are all... um - silly frankly!

laiwa - using more than one link to the same page is not a problem (and you can get banned just for a spammy site - if you're real unlucky).
    JaneCompersNews - I don't see any of those guidelines broken - were you alluding to something specific?
    sammydafish - You are competing with Whiteshell for the lamest post here!
    happyallday - finally... a useful contribution (and I agree with you).

Sorry to be confrontational to some of you folks but really - a whole bunch of judgemental nit-picking and very little constructive help... I thought it only fair to redress the balance.

Sadly, I couldn't find any good, solid reason for a ban - although you were taking a big risk with your metas Doug! You may find this is just a glitch - it wouldn't be the first time by a long stretch - otherwise I'm with happyallday and jrwrestling
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by sammydafish
    personally, I think it's right for Google to take action again this type of site. Sites of this nature really don't add any value to the Internet as a whole. They make people get confused, lost and aggravated. A site like this does not belong anywhere near the top of the serps.
    Huh?

Have you popped your domain into McDar's DC tool to see if it's consistent across the board?
  25. Contributing User

Hey there...

I thought your site looked alright from a users point of view. Im a beginner in the SEO and Webdesign business, so if i tried to tell you why your site is banned, i would prolly be wrong so i wont go there.

I was just wondering something about your title bar that says bulletproof web hosting and has a picture of the matrix. Because this is so obviously a picture from the matrix, are you not worried that you will get into some copywrite problems? Im probably wrong, but thats the first thing i thought of when i saw your title bar......It is obviously matrix...lol....

Anyways, im not trying to burst your bubble, just a thought..
  27. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    I'm sorry Whitesell but this is just about the lamest post I ever read...
    I was going to reply to each point but they are all... um - silly frankly!

laiwa - using more than one link to the same page is not a problem (and you can get banned just for a spammy site - if you're real unlucky).
    JaneCompersNews - I don't see any of those guidelines broken - were you alluding to something specific?
    sammydafish - You are competing with Whiteshell for the lamest post here!
    happyallday - finally... a useful contribution (and I agree with you).

Sorry to be confrontational to some of you folks but really - a whole bunch of judgemental nit-picking and very little constructive help... I thought it only fair to redress the balance.

Sadly, I couldn't find any good, solid reason for a ban - although you were taking a big risk with your metas Doug! You may find this is just a glitch - it wouldn't be the first time by a long stretch - otherwise I'm with happyallday and jrwrestling
    ClickyB, you talk about unconstructive posts, well you've just made another. I didn't find anything good in the content you have offered either. I understand you have your right to your opinion, but try not to be a hypocrite in your own posts.

Now, on to the real subject.

Our free link exchange pages were carefully themed with matching keywords and meta tags. To find link exchange partners that match your theme, browse this collection of link swap (reciprocal link) services.
    It looks like you're providing link farm services. Google doesn't care if you swap links, but don't make it sound like a farm.

ARELIS - Higher link popularity means top search engine rankings, new business contacts and more customers!
    I didn't try this software, so I won't say it got you banned or not, but is it sort of like linkblaster?

Add your site
    Linkateer
    Star Linkernkateer Star Linker
    Thats a quote from your side menu. What is Linkateer and Star Linker? How many link services do you have on your web site?

I think you may have gone a bit overboard with the amount of link exchange services that you publicly promote. Maybe not. However, it sure looks spammy, and I agree with the previous posters.

Moreover, if you end up linking to a banned site, Google has, and still may ban your site and consider it part of the "ring" so we say. Be careful about whom you link to.

In conclusion, nobody knows the real reason you were banned unless you know a Google technican or ask Google directly. I would suggest the latter. However, it's hard for one to look past the direct offenses of all the publicly link exchange programs. It's not even an argument that you are providing links soley for promotional purposes. Do all SEOs do this? Of course. Do all SEOs advertise publicly that they do this? Not in a lifetime.. it's a death wish. I'd also remove the page "Links.asp". Thats just a give-away. Call the page "jfdkasjfaksldj.asp"

Hexed
    Last edited by hexed; Jun 9th, 2004 at 04:28 PM.
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  29. Contributing User

From an SEO point of view I notice right off the bat, the following (some of which have already been mentioned)

1. the matrix logo at the top of the page. Although this may be copywrite infringement it WILL NOT get you banned.
    2. very little valuable content on the site. This is bad for rank positioning.
    3. the site is difficult to navigate from a user's point of view. Bad for conversion.
    *4. what's up with your site map? No offense intended, but seriously, i agree that there is no useful or explanitory content or layout, and in its entirety it is promoting link farm software. If I had to guess i would have to say that I think the fact that you are promoting link farms on your site to such an extent, is probably your downfall.....

So, what to do????

1. Fix your site. Add relevant content to the services you provide.
    2. Clean up your site map. Get rid of all of the link farm stuff. Avoid huge lists of links, each page needs to have decent content for any search engine to view it as valuable.

Once you've got everything fixed....

3. Resubmit to Google. They will review it and if it meets their standards, you will be re-indexed. to resubmit; email Google at:
    help@google.com your subject title should be REINCLUSION REQUEST
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: