Thread: Help!

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Help!

Hi,

I am new to this forum and could really use some advice/help. I own a website, www.candlefundraisersusa.com Several days ago I requested a link in the fundraising section of a website www.teacherhumor.com The owner kindly added my link promptly. The day after it was added I noticed that my main page has gotten totally screwed up by Google. Along the bottom of my listing instead of having my URL it has www.teacherhumor.com/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=148 - 15k - Apr 16, 2004.

That is the link she had set up for me on her site. When you clicked onto my list it still went to my website. Also my cached page is totally screwed up with some of her stuff and some of my stuff. I thought I could fix this my asking her to remove my link, which she did last night. Now I realize that the only reason you could get to my website was becasue of her link on her page. Now that it has been removed when you click onto my site on Google it goes directly teacherhumor. This is only happening to my main page, all other pages seem to be just fine in Google.

So for example if you do a key word search for "candle fundraisers" I am the first list that comes up but when you click onto it it goes right to teachrhumor. It's like I've been hijacked. None of the other search engines have done this just Google.

Any suggestions?? I really need to get this fixed! Thanks!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Unfortunately, the result returned is for their site not for yoursite.

Their site is so big and well linked, that simply the phrase "candle fundraisers" on their link page brought them up number 1 for a search on those keywords.
    Last edited by mcdar; Apr 17th, 2004 at 11:08 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Okay L'll try to make myself a little clearer. That is my listing in the first position when you search for "candle fundraisers" always has been. It should be my URL along the bottom not the URL for other other site. Do a search for "candle fundraisers usa" my screwed up main page comes up and 2 of my other pages--my contact page & privacy page come up also. They are listed correctly with my URL along the bottom & cached correctly too. My home page isn't cached correctly anymore & doesn't have the correct URL along the bottom. I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say.
    Thanks again!
  7. Contributing User

What was the anchor text that was used on the teacherhumor webiste?

Was it "Candle Fundraisers USA, candle fundraising, cookie dough ..."?
  9. America fights back

!

Somehow they have highjacked your site listing, this isn't the first time I have seen this happen to someone. You will have to work to get your spot back and I have no ideas for you but to try to get a keyword link that is the same as the one they had for you and try to regain your spot.

The cache page shows me your page, but the pictures don't show up. So some how they copied your page onto their server then because they are stronger they took over and you were probably demoted as a duplicate listing!
  11. Contributing User

Yes, Debunked is right.

The links on their page goes to a stored copy of the pages they are linking to, to record hits, then immediately redirected to the actual site.

This may be how come Google reports them as having 66,500 pages on the site!

You may want to contact them again and ask that they remove the copy of your page they have stored as well. Simply removing the link may not have totally solved the problem.

Once ALL is removed, you should be OK. (after Google re-crawls and finds the link gone)
  13. Contributing User

Cool Not amused

Originally Posted by eagle01
    Okay L'll try to make myself a little clearer. That is my listing in the first position when you search for "candle fundraisers" always has been. It should be my URL along the bottom not the URL for other other site. Do a search for "candle fundraisers usa" my screwed up main page comes up and 2 of my other pages--my contact page & privacy page come up also. They are listed correctly with my URL along the bottom & cached correctly too. My home page isn't cached correctly anymore & doesn't have the correct URL along the bottom. I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say.
    Thanks again!
    Unfortunately, the first position listing in decidedly NOT yours, and hence the confusion. Teacher humor has a better positioning with a PR of 6. Searching "candle fundraisers usa" your contact page comes up in position #4, with a PR of 3, while Teacher humor comes up in position #1.

The title of the Teacher humor page and the cache is where the confusion lies, and in what you are referring to as "screwed up".

Google's cache has an old version of your page. It doesn't show the images from your home page. This happens from time to time, and is the result of how fast your page loads when Google crawls by. I wouldn't worry about that. I would worry more about being hijacked. Talk to Teacher humor.

When people follow the Teacher humor link from Google, they arrive at a Teacher humor page. You are not listed there. Indeed, your competitors are. And if I search for "candle fundraisers usa" on the Teacher humor site, I get a "No Match Found to your Query" response.

You should bring all of this to the attention of Teacher's humor... tell them that you are not amused.

Regards,

Agalychnis
    Last edited by Agalychnis; Apr 17th, 2004 at 12:18 PM.
  15. Contributing User

I had this happen to me once, in reverse.

I gave a link to a much smaller site and found our own site start coming up in the serps for the anchor text that was used to point to this other site. In fact, we came up for the search much farther ahead then they did.

I have since removed the link as we did not wish to target that phrase.
  17. No Profile Picture

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I have somehow been hijacked as up until this past Wednesday, that is when I asked for a link on Teacherhumor, when you searched "candle fundraisers" the first list was me. AND it still really is me, all the wording is the same as it has always been in the list except now it goes directly to Teacherhumor. As I said I thought removing the link would resolve the problem obviously it hasn't. I'll email her again and see if I can get this resolved.
  19. No Profile Picture

also not amused

I'm sorry to bring back an old thread, but I wanted to clarify a few things to show that I meant no harm to any other webmasters or sites. Someone brought this thread to my attention as the teacher humor site is my wife's site, and I do a lot of the programming for it. I have also communicated by email with the person who started the thread and I've done my best to do the right thing.

I had posted a message a few weeks back on another forum about this occurence. I'll paste it below, but I find other people's responses here interesting, if not amusing.

First, the teacher humor site uses a fairly common content management system called e-xoops. It essentially uses the same link management script that you find with php-nuke. There are definitely NO cached versions of other people's sites on my wife's site. The site that showed up in the cache was in fact the thread-starters site. What happens is that the link script has a redirect to the other site and google cached the other site, with the redirect script as the address.

Initially, the redirect link did go to the original site, but the author did not want our URL address showing in Google (and I don't blame her). However, my own guess was that Google would have fixed it with their next re-index - if they ever do another standard one again. In addition, just to point something out, in the author's listing, we included a raw link not going through the script as well, so basically, the author was getting a nice juicy page rank 6 link to her site from ours.

After the author notified us that the wrong URL was now showing in Google, she asked us to remove the listing. We did, and of course then, when the script couldn't find the link on our site, it redirected to our home page, which was clearly worse than going to the author's site through our script. Google was slow to correct things, so the author asked us to add the link back, which I did. Google was in the process of fixing the problem, so sometimes it would show her site, and sometimes ours - however, our link still redirected to hers. She was still not happy with us, so she asked us to remove the link again, which we have finally done a week or so ago.

I'm not sure why Google accidentally listed the redirect script instead of the destination site, but it wasn't isolated to our site - there was a whole thread about this on another forum, and that is where I had posted my experience at the end of April, while this was still a problem. It's frustrating, because when I check the searches now, even though I have had the link removed for a while, it still shows the teacherhumor.com site first, but because the author wanted me to remove the link from our site, it is now redirecting to our home page.

If someone can suggest a solution, please let me know and I'll implement it. Here's what I had posted on that other forum:

I recently have had problems with this on one of the sites I manage. But I'm the one who has unintentionally hi-jacked a site. Here's what happened:
    On my sites, I use a fairly common content management system. One section of the site is for people to submit their sites to a directory. The links in that directory are fed through a redirection script so that I can count the number of hits - it's a common link indexing module in php - nothing fancy.

Someone submitted their link to my site, and I added it, not thinking anything of it. A few weeks later, I get an angry email (understandable) saying that their top listing is now gone and in place of it is the site I manage redirecting to their site - they asked me to remove their listing. This is where the fun really begins.

I remove them from my directory, but the URL still shows as the top result in google for a particular search. So, now when someone searches for that search, they are taken to my redirection script. Since the particular site is no longer found, they are sent to my home page - which then has several competitors of this other person's site. Now I got another angry email (understandably).

I then contacted google through their URL removal tool - this was not helpful. They suggested I add robots.txt exclusion rules - I don't have much experience with robots.txt files, but can I exclude a specific php URL with 2 paramaters? Even so, I would have to wait for Google to spider the site again before it would take effect, right?

Ultimately, I just added the site back to my directory and now the top listing redirects to this person's site again. Hopefully they won't lose their page rank like the person who started this thread, but it was the best option I could find. I also figure that the destination site will be back to first when Google does their next update (any day now?)
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi!

I have a suggestion that might work out well.

Add this two lines to your .htaccess file and Google will figure it out and the owner of the target site will regain her site listing.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=148 www.candlefundraisersusa.com [R=301]

The frist url should be an active link that Google can crawl.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your web sites.
    Last edited by sorvoja; May 18th, 2004 at 06:56 PM.
  23. America fights back

Originally Posted by Rick_M
    I'm sorry to bring back an old thread, but I wanted to clarify a few things to show that I meant no harm to any other webmasters or sites. Someone brought this thread to my attention as the teacher humor site is my wife's site, and I do a lot of the programming for it. I have also communicated by email with the person who started the thread and I've done my best to do the right thing.

I had posted a message a few weeks back on another forum about this occurence. I'll paste it below, but I find other people's responses here interesting, if not amusing.
    Rick,

You sound like we offended you. We did not mean to insult you or your wife's site. I will have to admit, it appeared to be deliberate, but now hearing what you have done I know it wasn't.

This forum is here to help people and when a person shows us something like this we all just tried to help, even though we had no control over the site. I just hope if anything like that happens to me, that someone like you is on the other end willing to rectify the problem.

Hope all ends well with this.
  25. No Profile Picture

also trying to understand

Debunked,

I appreciate the comments and input that everyone here provides. I think we are all here to learn - I know I have gained immensely from the discussions here.

sorvoja,

I'm gonna give that 301 redirect a try in my .htaccess file. I'll follow-up here and let you know if it works.
  27. No Profile Picture

mod-rewrite and 301 redirect with dynamic parameters

sorvoja,

Okay. Things are never as simple as you'd expect. I tried setting up the .htaccess file and of course it didn't do anything. After searching around, I found some information on using dynamic links with mod-rewrite. I wound up using the following code in the /modules/mylinks/ directory and it works, and gives a 301 header. I'm not sure how technically correct the coding is, but it seems to work.

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    rewriteCond %{query_string} lid=148 
    rewriteRule ^visit.php$ http://www.candlefundraisersusa.com? [R=301]
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Rick_M
    sorvoja,

Okay. Things are never as simple as you'd expect. I tried setting up the .htaccess file and of course it didn't do anything. After searching around, I found some information on using dynamic links with mod-rewrite. I wound up using the following code in the /modules/mylinks/ directory and it works, and gives a 301 header. I'm not sure how technically correct the coding is, but it seems to work.

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    rewriteCond %{query_string} lid=148 
    rewriteRule ^visit.php$ http://www.candlefundraisersusa.com? [R=301]
    Hi Rich_M,

I am so glad you found a workable solution. I hope everything works out nicely for both involved web sites.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo