1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Headings nullified by CSS?

I was reading that having your keywords inside heading tags (<h1> <h2> etc) boosts the weight of those keywords in searches.

Unfortunately, using heading tags would be somewhat awkward visually in my site's layout. As such, I was considering using css to force the <h1> tags to render the same as my normal text does. I realize that this may fall under the category of black-hat techniques. Will I still see any benefits? Am I likely to be penalized?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mailinator
    I was reading that having your keywords inside heading tags (<h1> <h2> etc) boosts the weight of those keywords in searches.

Unfortunately, using heading tags would be somewhat awkward visually in my site's layout. As such, I was considering using css to force the <h1> tags to render the same as my normal text does. I realize that this may fall under the category of black-hat techniques. Will I still see any benefits? Am I likely to be penalized?

Thanks.
    use css as much as possible. it makes your code cleaner. use it like this:

.content h1 {
    font: ...
    }
    where content is your content div

try not to put to much text in <h1>, <strong>.. . use these tags for your title and keywords.I dont see how using h1 for all of your text can help you.

you may get banned only if u use css to hide text(make the font's color the same as the blackground)
  5. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The H tags are Headlines, not sentences or body parts.
    You can adjust them in css but I would not make them look like regular content.
    Headlines are usually a bit bigger keep this!
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

If you have to make the <h1> tags look like text because it doesnt fiot your site I would take a look at the structure of your site. At its most basic each section should have a head tag. Structure your site similar to a newspaper, if that makes sense.

If you currently have no heading tags and they cant fit into your site in any way I would suggest going at the SEO w/out them rather than trying to make them look like regular text.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  9. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by mailinator

Thanks.
    From my experience heading tags are best used to organise your content better; their effect on rankings is questionable.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by googler
    If you have to make the <h1> tags look like text because it doesnt fiot your site I would take a look at the structure of your site. At its most basic each section should have a head tag. Structure your site similar to a newspaper, if that makes sense.

If you currently have no heading tags and they cant fit into your site in any way I would suggest going at the SEO w/out them rather than trying to make them look like regular text.
    Agreed. Don't forget you're writing the page for a 'human' to read, not a bot. SEO should be secondary to user-experience.