1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Having the same domain with a different suffix

Hi,

I am new here so hello folks

I am making a website for a company who currently have a domain example.com in use. This website is in Google but it is a rubbish 5 minute template site and does not rank well.

The company also own the example.co.uk domain which is currently not in use.

If I were to create the new unique site on the .co.uk domain is this a bad idea for Google ranking (duplicate content perhaps...?) as the domain is the same expect for the suffix.... or should a new domain be used. The comany would like to use the .co.uk if possible.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
    Last edited by joshdbharris; Jun 9th, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
  3. Newbie
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Josh,

I don't think the domain name will be the issue as anyone could purchase it if it was available and start a website on it. What I would be concerned about is the duplicate content.

Is it really necessary to have two sites? Why not move it over to the .co.uk and 301 redirect the .com to it.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by joshdbharris
    Hi,

I am new here so hello folks

I am making a website for a company who currently have a domain example.com in use. This website is in Google but it is a rubbish 5 minute template site and does not rank well.

The company also own the example.co.uk domain which is currently not in use.

If I were to create the new unique site on the .co.uk domain is this a bad idea for Google ranking (duplicate content perhaps...?) as the domain is the same expect for the suffix.... or should a new domain be used. The comany would like to use the .co.uk if possible.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
    If you're in the UK and targeting the UK, then use the .co.uk. If you're targeting the UK and abroad, then keep the .com.

I would 301 redirect one domain to the other, whichever one you choose to pursue. There would be no sense in running two businesses that are next door to each other selling the same products, so why would you try to run two websites? It would just double the work you'll be doing.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Zagek
    Hi Josh,

I don't think the domain name will be the issue as anyone could purchase it if it was available and start a website on it. What I would be concerned about is the duplicate content.

Is it really necessary to have two sites? Why not move it over to the .co.uk and 301 redirect the .com to it.
    Thanks for the comments. The sites will be completly different and content too.

The current site is shockingly bad though, so I like to scrap this content completely (The sie has barely no traffic). So is a 301 the best method here then?

Thanks,

Josh
  9. Newbie
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I would still 301 redirect the old site as it may have some history that is worthwhile attributing to the new site and the "barely no traffic" couldn't do the new site any harm now, could it? ;)

If they want to keep the old site up then it shouldn't be a problem if they have completely different content.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Zagek
    I would still 301 redirect the old site as it may have some history that is worthwhile attributing to the new site and the "barely no traffic" couldn't do the new site any harm now, could it? ;)

If they want to keep the old site up then it shouldn't be a problem if they have completely different content.
    Hi,
    Thanks again. The old site is: thebeamlockcompany .com

As you can see it is terrible. Is this still worth 301'ing to the .co.uk?

Thanks,

Josh
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I can see why you want to scrap that site... did the creator get bored or something??:
    Code:
    <div style='display: none'><b></b><i></i><i></i><i></i><b></b><b></b><i></i><i></i><i></i><i></i><i></i><i></i><i></i><i></i><i></i><b></b></div>
    But yeah, 301 redirect is definitely worth it, even if it only sends 1 visitor to the new site, you still have all the history of that domain, so Google is more likely to recognised the co.uk as a trusted domain.