Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Houston SEO Guru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    13

    Has Local search replaced National??


    Ok- am I behind the 8 ball on this or has Google just unleashed a total game changer this week?? I live in Houston, TX and if I type in "SEO" into Google and hit 'search' I now see local listings mixed throughout the entire page (not only the maps- all listings). Same thing with any generic term such as 'pizza' or 'jewelery' And YES, i am signed out of google and YES i've cleared my cache and cookies.

    I'd like all of you to try this- and let me know what you find. I need to know if they are just experimenting in Texas or if this is on a national/global scale.

    To see exactly what I'm talking about you can pull up 2 browser windows. In one- type in "seo" and leave it up. In the next browser type in "seo" but this time click on the "MORE SEARCH TOOLS" link on the left nav. Next click the "nearby" link. And finally click "custom location" link. From there you can type in USA to see what 'should' be the true national search results for the term 'seo'. Now what I'm seeing in houston, tx is totally different than what I see when set to the US.

    Try this out for any keyword you can think of- I need feedback..if I'm not missing something here then this is a total game changer. How do you run a national or global level SEO campaign?? And is there software that can accurately track the rankings?? This is crazy!! Help? Ideas? Thoughts? Feedback?
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Houston SEO Guru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    13

    Anyone??


    I'm hoping someone will reply soon- I cant believe I'm the only one blogging about this massive update! I found a pattern- I can type in almost any subject- such as 'travel agent' or 'used cars' and what i now see is that the top 4 natural positions are national companies (then I usually see the map listings) and then the next 6 natural listings are LOCAL.

    This is HUGE- is this only happening in Texas?? Please jump in people!
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    79
    I see it too( I'm in Texas) for the phrase "web design". I'm surprised there aren't more responses here.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Houston SEO Guru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by SEOTyler
    I see it too( I'm in Texas) for the phrase "web design". I'm surprised there aren't more responses here.
    This is the BIGGEST thing to happen to the SEO Industry since SEO began- where the heck are all the posts?? I've now checked with friends in 3 separate states and they are ALL seeing what I am..local results in bottom half of natural listings on page one for almost ANY phrase you can think of!

    When did this roll out and is it here to stay??
  8. #5
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    189
    I'm in Dallas, Searching for "Travel Agent" position 3 is Dart.org, the local Dallas City Transportation Agency.

    The rest are National.

    I don't see this happening in my other serps. Is possible that google started feeding in local results for either some users or certain searchs.

    probably selecting "Seo" to screw with us all.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Houston SEO Guru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by Dice79
    I'm in Dallas, Searching for "Travel Agent" position 3 is Dart.org, the local Dallas City Transportation Agency.

    The rest are National.

    I don't see this happening in my other serps. Is possible that google started feeding in local results for either some users or certain searchs.

    probably selecting "Seo" to screw with us all.
    I've called friends now in florida, tennesse and Illinois and they all are seeing the local results in bottom half just as I am. Are you logged out of google and did you clear your cache? I'm seeing this across the board for all phrase such as sporting goods, travel agent, used cars, used tires, etc. Of course if there are not local companies in the area WITH a website to support the SERPS then sometime you will only see national. Please try some more in dallas and let us know?
  12. #7
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    189
    Originally Posted by mrrodger
    I've called friends now in florida, tennesse and Illinois and they all are seeing the local results in bottom half just as I am. Are you logged out of google and did you clear your cache? I'm seeing this across the board for all phrase such as sporting goods, travel agent, used cars, used tires, etc. Of course if there are not local companies in the area WITH a website to support the SERPS then sometime you will only see national. Please try some more in dallas and let us know?
    Logged out, Firefox and Chrome.

    Dallas Results:

    Cars = National
    Pizza = 1 Local Result position 10, Hungryhowies.com
    Used Cars = National
    Grocery = Albertsons.com, looks to have 1 local results.


    Boston Results:

    Grocery = Stopandshop.com, shaws.com, local.yahoo.com/MA/Somerville/Food


    Definitely something there. Not sure how long this as been, new to me.
  14. #8
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    189
    It seems that if the results have a local section, then local results can feed into the national results.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Houston SEO Guru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by Dice79
    It seems that if the results have a local section, then local results can feed into the national results.
    You may be on to something- when you say 'section' do you mean local map listings? For example if you search for the phrase 'cups' i do not see local map listings- but also do not see local company listings..not sure but maybe on to something here..
  18. #10
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    121
    Originally Posted by mrrodger
    Ok- am I behind the 8 ball on this or has Google just unleashed a total game changer this week?? I live in Houston, TX and if I type in "SEO" into Google and hit 'search' I now see local listings mixed throughout the entire page (not only the maps- all listings). Same thing with any generic term such as 'pizza' or 'jewelery' And YES, i am signed out of google and YES i've cleared my cache and cookies.

    I'd like all of you to try this- and let me know what you find. I need to know if they are just experimenting in Texas or if this is on a national/global scale.

    To see exactly what I'm talking about you can pull up 2 browser windows. In one- type in "seo" and leave it up. In the next browser type in "seo" but this time click on the "MORE SEARCH TOOLS" link on the left nav. Next click the "nearby" link. And finally click "custom location" link. From there you can type in USA to see what 'should' be the true national search results for the term 'seo'. Now what I'm seeing in houston, tx is totally different than what I see when set to the US.

    Try this out for any keyword you can think of- I need feedback..if I'm not missing something here then this is a total game changer. How do you run a national or global level SEO campaign?? And is there software that can accurately track the rankings?? This is crazy!! Help? Ideas? Thoughts? Feedback?
    Same here in UK ! just typed in the word "builders" and some local listings came up in the middle of the results page.

    One thing I have noticed is the local results given are more localized from where I'm searching from as all the listings that come up are within a 2 mile radius of my house, where as if I searched "builders Birmingham" the local results show companies within a 2 mile radius of Birmingham city centre (I am 5 miles away from the city centre) and show different results.

    I think this is a good thing for search, especially as my website shows up in the local listings on page one now instead of page 5 and will give me more customers closer to my home

    Very good idea google ! now people will not have to enter city name to view local services and businesses plus the fact that the results given are Even more localized than just city center's. Good job !
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    79
    What are the tendencies for the common end user when it comes to entering city and state name? I assume most people put the city and state in the query.
  22. #12
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    121
    Originally Posted by SEOTyler
    What are the tendencies for the common end user when it comes to entering city and state name? I assume most people put the city and state in the query.
    That's what I would presume i can only imagine my nan to only enter the query instead of city and query, lol.
    But I'm sure other must also do this too, so this can only lead to more bossiness than before.
    Maybe in time searchers will start to figure this out and only enter query even more!
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Houston SEO Guru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by martin77
    Same here in UK ! just typed in the word "builders" and some local listings came up in the middle of the results page.

    One thing I have noticed is the local results given are more localized from where I'm searching from as all the listings that come up are within a 2 mile radius of my house, where as if I searched "builders Birmingham" the local results show companies within a 2 mile radius of Birmingham city centre (I am 5 miles away from the city centre) and show different results.

    I think this is a good thing for search, especially as my website shows up in the local listings on page one now instead of page 5 and will give me more customers closer to my home

    Very good idea google ! now people will not have to enter city name to view local services and businesses plus the fact that the results given are Even more localized than just city center's. Good job !
    Its good for business targetting locally- but what if you own a business (or have a client) that want to sell 'clock radios' to the entire nation?? We will now have to tell them that it is only possible IF we are lucky to get you to the top 4-5 listings on google? Otherwise they will have to do PPC...see my point? Whats good for some can be very bad for others- so I'm undecided at this point..

    Comments on this post

    • SEOTyler agrees : I had the same thought.
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    79
    I don't think the average searcher would catch on for a long time.
  28. #15
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    121
    Originally Posted by SEOTyler
    I don't think the average searcher would catch on for a long time.
    I dont know people already seem to try to search with as little words as possible! Plus as every year goes on searches seem to be getting better at searching as people are getting more internet friendly year on year.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Preview MSN similar to WISENUT SERPs - not so innovative after all
    By -search-engines-web in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:20 AM
  2. OH MY GOD!! seochat is #1 on New MSN Search for "Search engine optimization"
    By -search-engines-web in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: Nov 17th, 2005, 06:06 AM
  3. More Traffic From Local Search Inquiries!
    By earlpearl in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Aug 12th, 2004, 08:36 AM
  4. If Msn Would Only Buy Alltheweb !!!
    By -search-engines-web in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:28 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo