1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Has the inclusion of less-relative content hurt my rankings

Preface. I am a wedding DJ and my site initially was focused purely on the client-side of the wedding business. But some time ago I decide to include more DJ-to-DJ related content specific to the industry to help increase traffic to the site.

That traffic certainly increased my overall user base coming to my site, seeing a 92.89% increase in total traffi, decrease in bounce rate, doubling page vies, etc comparing 10/1/15-3/13/16 and the previous year-to-date.

So is this all huzzahs? Well not quite. So while I have gain tremendous traction in a couple articles, making first page organic views in general searches like "what does a wedding dj do" (client oriented) and a couple product reviews like "soundcraft ui16 review" (DJ related) it seems that one of my core longtail keywords for wedding traffic "hudson valley wedding DJ" is down in SERP placement, now hitting page 2 organically.

So the question I have is if including these DJ-to-DJ content related pieces may be hurting my client-specific presence. Comparing some key pages I am seeing some clear signs.

Homepage: +50%
    Pricing Page: -14.5%
    Thank you (post info request fill): -63.5%

There is one other factor to consider. I launched a new version of the site (new theme) back in January. Most of the front page content is similar so the overall content in front of the eyes of the viewer has not changed much at all.

If the above thoughts are true, now the question is what to do. Do I create a new web presence for my DJ-to-DJ related content? Do I live with the current results?

As an aside I have been investing in AdWords for some very specific keywords, which is still more expensive than I wish it would be. ~$5.50/click. I've had a three PPC firms look at what I am doing and they are all on the same page that I am doing the most efficient way I can be doing things.
    Last edited by LTParis; Mar 14th, 2016 at 10:02 AM.
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Homepage: +50%
    Pricing Page: -14.5%
    Thank you (post info request fill): -63.5%
    Would it be correct to sum up that your traffic is up while the leads are down? Is that the conclusion we make there?

I am just trying to better understand what's going on...

How huge exactly was the drop for your core "client-oriented term": I did gather it's on page 2 now but where was it previously?
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    Would it be correct to sum up that your traffic is up while the leads are down? Is that the conclusion we make there?

I am just trying to better understand what's going on...

How huge exactly was the drop for your core "client-oriented term": I did gather it's on page 2 now but where was it previously?
    Yes, traffic is up, leads from Google are down.

Originally my long tail keyword 'hudson valley wedding dj" was at #2 for a while, and then I battled between #3-7 for a while with some various Google updates. I am now #11. Not horrible but clearly off where I was for a while.
  7. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by LTParis
    Yes, traffic is up, leads from Google are down.
    You mentioned that the new content targeted relevant audience but not exactly your clients... So I suppose that is why

Originally my long tail keyword 'hudson valley wedding dj" was at #2 for a while, and then I battled between #3-7 for a while with some various Google updates. I am now #11. Not horrible but clearly off where I was for a while.
    So dropping had started before your new content strategy? I think your new content has nothing to do with it...

I'd play with some secondary calls-to-action for the traffic that isn't representing your immediate customer... Maybe newsletter sign-up or coupons for referring a friend...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't like the philosophy of coupons or offers for my particular service because I think it cheapens the brand overall. Kind of a catch 22 to try to draw people in without being overt or reducing brand value.

Honestly it is hard to know exactly what may have happened. I seemed to have dropped down from #2-3 to #7'ish on the particular long tail keyword when Panda 4.2 went up. But of course this was all around the same time that I was putting more additional non-client specific content up and promoted it.

Dissecting my two top articles, one is client based, one is DJ based.
    The client based one "what does a wedding dj do" had my biggest single day hits of all my articles. It lists organically now on the first page of SERP (#5 today), but it's not how I specifically get customers to my site. Unfortunately I have to rely on AdWords since most will search for short keywords like "wedding dj" where then Google Local kicks in and makes things difficult in this industry. People generally don't care that their wedding DJ is only 5-10 miles from their home, but yet Google Local treats things more as brick and mortar. So I have to feed the machine to get those keyword hits anything 10 miles outside my immediate reach.

My top DJ based article "Soundcraft Ui16" is an equipment write-up article for DJs and when you exclude the article above for the first couple promotion times, the Soundcraft article has more overall views past the promotion time of my article above. I get numerous keyword hits to it, and just happens to be a very popular article overall. But it's DJ related.

I just wonder if over time google will lessen the value of the brand specific to Wedding DJ clients (traditionally) or has this increase of traffic of including wedding DJs into the mix helped overall even though I have seen a drop in that specific long tail keyword.