1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Has google changed something that would cause a ranking to fall on organic results?

Hi everyone, I'm in a very niche market in webdesign and with the search term for our specialty we've always had number 1 or 2 placement organically on google for about the last 3-4 years. The last few days my phone hasn't been ringing as much so I checked my placement and I've fallen to 5th and almost onto the second page, and now my competitors who were non existent before are above me, can anyone shed light on why this might be? I am even willing to pay money to get some assistance as this could hurt my business. I just need some help.

Never did any kind of SEO campaigning with anyone only worked on my meta keywords and descriptions and that was enough to get me high on the searches.

Please help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Given that Google make ~500 changes to the algorithm each yr, then yes Google did change something yesterday, today and will probably change something tomorrow as well.
    Maybe your competitors are doing a better SEO job.

Comments on this post

• WebOutGateway agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google keep on changing its algo. You should see if you are set according to that. Moreover I think you need to start building links as your competitors might be doing hard work to get on top and so you lost your position.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not aware of any specific updates in the past few days nor have I seen any chatter in the SEO blogosphere. So, it sounds like the issue may be with your site or link profile. Without an SEO audit, I can't really speculate any further without it just being blind guessing. If you'd like me to perform an audit, send me a private message and we'll work out the details.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As the others have said - Google continuously changes its algorithm. As far as I know, there wasn't a recent major update. It's possible there was some kind of manual penalty at play, or perhaps something got messed up on your site on the back end.

Do you have analytics or Webmaster Tools for your site? If so, these are the first places I would start, because they will usually inform you of any glaring issues going on, especially if its a manual penalty - Google will tell you right in Webmaster Tools what the penalty is. If you don't have these things, I would recommend signing up for them.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by karina.b
    As the others have said - Google continuously changes its algorithm. As far as I know, there wasn't a recent major update. It's possible there was some kind of manual penalty at play, or perhaps something got messed up on your site on the back end.

Do you have analytics or Webmaster Tools for your site? If so, these are the first places I would start, because they will usually inform you of any glaring issues going on, especially if its a manual penalty - Google will tell you right in Webmaster Tools what the penalty is. If you don't have these things, I would recommend signing up for them.
    So what say about Humming bird also update........
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by karina.b

So what you'll say about hummingbird algo update
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The Hummingbird Update was announced recently, yes, but Google claims that it has been rolled out for at least a month (around August 20th). The Hummingbird Update works to understand the long tail queries users type into a search or the queries they speak into their mobile phones, and provide better results for those longer tail queries.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hummingbird has been our since the last week in August, so it wouldn't be the reason your rankings dropped in the past few days. Also, Hummingbird did not have much noticeable effect on rankings. In fact, I don't think I saw anyone in the SEO world going on about an algorithm update at the time that Google launched it. So, the effect was so slight that no one really noticed.

That's because Hummingbird affected how Google understands queries, not ranking factors. Some rankings were affected because Google now better understands what searches mean and thus are (supposedly) showing more relevant results, but if a site is relevant and Google was showing relevant results before, then it would continue to rank where it had before Hummingbird.