1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It has to do with the index page

This new dropping of pages appears to only be the index page. I have checked all my other pages, and they are all in the exact same spots.

This dropping appears to only be of the index pages (most amount of rankings and traffic for nearly everyone of course)

So it looks like index pages are not being included at all for some of us, don't have backlinks/pr/anchor text factored in. I'm guessing it is the anchor text mainly. Also the onpage factors might not be in either for the index. Anyway something about all the missing index pages is not being calculated in. There is just no way this many pages could go from top 10s, to not in the top 1000, without the being banned, or the ranking algo being incomplete.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Anyone around who has actually benefitted from this?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you read through the 27+ page post on WMW about floridaupdate, then you will see a few people finding the same results.

It is mostly content sites that have top 10 rankings with the internal pages. No internal pages appear to be affected, however, since the index page almost always gets by far the most traffic and has the highest SERPs, there is still a huge dropoff in traffic. I get about 20% of my traffic from SEs from pages other than the index page. So, I got about 20% of normal traffic today. :-(
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The index page is the page of most sites where your incoming links go to. The index pages aren't missing. We are either being penalized for the incoming links we have, or they aren't being counted, it just so happens it is screweing the index pages.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If this is all true, then this is the same thing that happened in May/June - as I suspect it is and conroy is correct that off page factors are not being worked in yet. Googleguy reported over there that this update would proceed much faster with all factors being incorporated within 3-4 days. (added) - Offpage factors anchor text - was the last thing to be added into the algo soup last time.

Just sweat it out folks.

I only rely on Google/Yahoo for about 30 percent of my traffic because I have had days like this and worked all summer on a traffic diversification plan in anticipation of another one. Boy am I glad I did that.

But this is killing my new ventures at the moment.

What is it with Romanian cats? The one next to me is so demanding that if I stop petting her to type she yells at me.
  11. No Profile Picture

Unhappy Interesting

I leave for 24 hours out of town and come back and poof! Im gone from Google for the only keywords I care about. Grr... I was supposed to come back with good news as google deep crawled 3 days ago.

Im not in the top 10 listings for them, page 5 (err was?).. in a quite competitive area.

Does how long your site has been around count as a factor? I am working on 10 months while my competitors have been around for years.

:-?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Zapatista,

You have been very reassuring, you will have all kinds of credibility in my book if you are a good prophet. And if you aren't, well, I can't really blame you for anything.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you haven't been through it before, this can be very unsettling. I endured it for about 6 weeks beginning in May and was bouncing off the walls. I swore never to allow Google to have that much power.

Diverisify your traffic sources after this. You have to get creative and think outside the box without violating the spam rules.