Thread: GWT and 404

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

GWT and 404

Ok, after getting some help from some of the members here, I've finally started working on my site.
    I've bought some tools, and now I am shocked how many errors are there.

I am trying to figure out so many things and basically, the feeling of panic is stronger than a rational thinking. I am now trying to establish
    a priority plan and fix what should be fixed.

One fo the things I've just noticed in Google Webmaster Tools is that sitemap has 11 errors.
    404 URL. I've manually clicked on those, some are really 404 and some are there.

What should be done in a situation like this considering that some 404 are reported back in 2016 (even if pages are there)?

thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi femdom

The reason the pages that are there are being label 404 is that the status codes for those pages are reporting a 404, probably from incorrect settings on the website.

I don't remember if you site was done in WP or not, but if it was WP, this is not an uncommon problem folks run into.

I would suggest you install the Link Redirect Trace tool bar helper from Link Audit & Link Building Tool for Professionals - LRT. It is free and gives you the http status code as well as other useful information.

BTW, what tools did you decide on using ?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for the answering. Will try it right now. I've picked up Power SEO Suite and I am seriously impressed with the price and what is offering. Still learning but the feeling is that I was working in the total dark for years.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey, yes, it is a wordpress. I am looking inside WP repository for Link Redirect Trace , but nothing there. Can you please give me a link?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Its a tool bar add-on for Chrome. It is not a WP plugin. I usually don'r recommend tools so openly but this is one tool that most users (meaning the new folks to seo) can get some good use out of.(it is free too !)
    Here is the link for it again ---- Link Audit & Link Building Tool for Professionals - LRT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo