Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is this guy telling the truth?

Hi Guys,
    I been doing some research for best ways to build quality links and I was talking to someone a few days ago on the other forums and this is what he is saying;

-80%+ do follow links 20% no follow
    -consist of a combination of PR 3+ blog comments (for link juice), angela styled links (fast indexing), related blog comments (relevancy), and web 2.0s
    -I try to avoid articles or anything with spunned or mass syndicated content that has been causing penalties lately
    same for blog networks which work effectly, but on the update on Mar 18 Matt Cutt is going to reveal more targeted approach toward blog networks and if you just build for 2 keywords, very very high chance you'd get hit with penalty.
    if possible, please try to have multiple keywords per url otherwise we'd be running into penalty very quickly
    if you just target 1 keyword on a single url you'd get hit very fast avoid getting too many links from the same forums. I got sanked that way
    google doesn't like signature links that much. I used do massive amount of signature links thousands and that worked well for years until google decide to slap

And he is suggesting i should go for angela styled links, PR 3+ blog comments, social votes.

My question is should i follow this guide? And what else can i do accept blogging on my site (which i am doing already)
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I think, that's about right. In order to be a good SEO, it doesn't just stop on mastering the techniques. You should also study new strategies every now and then. at least, once a month. It can freshen up your knowledge about SEO and also you can pick up some new and awesome tips for you to be better. ;)
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Rubbish!

There is no causation between dofollow and nofollow so correlation is total BS.

A link in is a link... I have never developed a single blog comment ever nor angela styled link nor web 2.0... complete BS

I try to avoid articles or anything with spunned or mass syndicated content that has been causing penalties lately
    same for blog networks which work effectly, but on the update on Mar 18 Matt Cutt is going to reveal more targeted approach toward blog networks and if you just build for 2 keywords, very very high chance you'd get hit with penalty.
    if possible, please try to have multiple keywords per url otherwise we'd be running into penalty very quickly
    if you just target 1 keyword on a single url you'd get hit very fast avoid getting too many links from the same forums. I got sanked that way
    Sort of correct but this is "dazzle 'em with brains and baffle 'em with bull**** gibberish" IMHO.

google doesn't like signature links that much. I used do massive amount of signature links thousands and that worked well for years until google decide to slap
    Again... "dazzle 'em with brains and baffle 'em with bull**** gibberish" ... a signature link is a PAID LINK... you exchange fresh content to the forum owner in exchange for another link... thus the payment in lieu of cash is content... paid links violate Google's TOS.

I would avoid this person's advice primarily because them don't know anything they are simply spinning other people's opinions.

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees : Spot on
  7. No Profile Picture

That may be ture. Do your websites rank change today?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jassicasim
    That may be ture. Do your websites rank change today?
    I just checked 1 of my keyword which i used to be on page2 on google.co.uk now i am on page4
  11. No Profile Picture
    The Dog Guy

"-80%+ do follow links 20% no follow"

I hear that they say that a nice random allotment is best. If you are using automation that my be hard. I would always assume that if you are building manually you may as well mostly spend your time posting on places that follow your link. That is if you want any power to your site.
  13. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by bruce99
    "-80%+ do follow links 20% no follow"

I hear that they say that a nice random allotment is best. If you are using automation that my be hard. I would always assume that if you are building manually you may as well mostly spend your time posting on places that follow your link. That is if you want any power to your site.
    hmmm... even that is somewhat inaccurate.

Since nofollow links are dropped from the link graph there is nothing to compare them to e.g. on one hand dofollow links and on the other ... "NOTHING".

It's a flawed premise to start with.

Nofollow links neither help nor harm your website "organically". They are 100% a non-issue.
  15. Contributing User

Whilst I agree with fathom on regards of the nofollow v follow links, I would guess and this is a pure guess and trying to put myself in mind set of google. In order to spot natural linking v un-natural linking I would expect to see a mixture of follow and nofollow links in a backlink profile. This would be normal for most websites, however if the site only had followed links and lots of them would that damage anything ? I doubt it very much but it may raise a flag as suspect.

Where the 20% rule falls over is when a site posts something that goes viral, many people link to it from many sources including a lot of nofollow sites, would this then harm the site instead of benefiting it, I doubt it very much. I think the OP maybe on about his personal preference and not a hard and fast rule. After all you should not in a ideal world be able to control how users link to you so having 5% or a 85% nofollow I doubt very much if it would have any impact in SERPS.

Just my opinion and pure guess and not backed up with any research.
    Good SERPS is great, Traffic however is even better
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Chedders
    I would guess and this is a pure guess.
    Not debating your points... there might indeed be merit that could stand a debate.

But the Opening Poster came here with:

Originally Posted by technician27
    I been doing some research for best ways to build quality links...
    You are claiming... "guessing," "purely guessing" is the best way... (I know you aren't but that is what you wrote)

Surely, you have better quantifiable best ways.

The 20/80 rule might work for: 80% organic & 20% inorganic or 80% different longtail phrases & 20% short-tail phrases... but there is absolutely no correlation between do- and no-follow links.

One is in the link graph and that aids in ordered ranks and the other is completely dropped from the link graph and has absolutely no value or impact on ordered ranks.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your comments guys. Fathom I am not claiming anything I don't even know much about SEO (accept basic seo). Thats why i am doing research what is best ways to get quality links. However what this guy been saying I wasn't sure about should i do samething or not. I am posting blogs already on hubpages and a few other but i wasn't sure about blog commenting.
    Originally Posted by fathom

You are claiming... "guessing," "purely guessing" is the best way... (I know you aren't but that is what you wrote)

Surely, you have better quantifiable best ways.

The 20/80 rule might work for: 80% organic & 20% inorganic or 80% different longtail phrases & 20% short-tail phrases... but there is absolutely no correlation between do- and no-follow links.

One is in the link graph and that aids in ordered ranks and the other is completely dropped from the link graph and has absolutely no value or impact on ordered ranks.
  21. No Profile Picture

He's just spewing his same old witches brew as are most of the people in the thread.

Test, then test some more then draw your conclusions. There is way to much bs in this industry to go on guru bs or forum posters under tested opinions.
  23. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by technician27
    Thanks for your comments guys. Fathom I am not claiming anything I don't even know much about SEO (accept basic seo). Thats why i am doing research what is best ways to get quality links. However what this guy been saying I wasn't sure about should i do samething or not. I am posting blogs already on hubpages and a few other but i wasn't sure about blog commenting.
    My comments (after the first post) were not directed at you.

I would avoid doing anything in volume.

A little link exchange is ok

A little hubpages are ok

A little blog commenting is ok

A little forum posting is ok

A little 3-way links are ok

A little [add here] is ok

Continuing to do any of the previous simply because you started to see success is flawed... upgrade and start putting your ROI in labor into investing in "just making a great website GREATER"!
  25. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by secretagentdad
    He's just spewing his same old witches brew as are most of the people in the thread.

Test, then test some more then draw your conclusions. There is way to much bs in this industry to go on guru bs or forum posters under tested opinions.
    As much as that sounds plausible... testing with only a single test (your own singular domain) is at best a solid observation but it can also be a complete fluke... how would you know the difference?

I spew brew from hundreds of domains... my sampling rate is much better.
    Last edited by fathom; Mar 17th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
  27. No Profile Picture

My point was more that its a poorly understood topic you can get zillions of different answers for, none of which can be explicitly proved to be correct.
  29. No Profile Picture

-80%+ do follow links 20% no follow" . I think there is no such formula given by any SEO persona or from any authorized person fro Google. It is just assumption. Just do natural link building, and nothing else.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: