1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

google's seemingly random treatment of my site...

when I search on google for "wonder stuff" I want my official band (The Wonder Stuff) website to be as near the top as possible (I bet thats a real shock, huh?).

Just before Christmas my site leapt up from about 120 to number 2. Imagine my alarm when I spotted that today the site has slumped back down to 120-ish.

I honestly have no idea why my site leapt up dramatically and has now disappeared below pages with only the most tenuous of connections to the band who's official site I am running.

www.thewonderstuff.co.uk is my site (not to be confused with the current number 1 ranking and ex official site www.thewonderstuff.com)

Has anybody got any thoughts on why google seems to hate the website so much, or why it so briefly surged up the rankings...?
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This sounds good to me. Getting #2 is a great sign. The fact that it did not hold can probably be attributed to the fact that thousands of different computers are used to serve google results and the database where your site has reached #2 has not been fully propagated across their network. So, it is likely that you will have that result stick in a few days.

There could be a problem but from what you describe it sounds like normal moving up pattern.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture

Be patient and check again in a few days. Google is doing a big update right now in its database - if your site didn't have a PR back in September or October, it'll have one this month. Your site will probably be up to #2 again, as well.

I know for sure that Google has been doing updates, because a bunch of my buddies sites finally got a PR from Google, and just today, they lost it - back to 0. My site used to be a 5, on Jan 2,2005 went down to a 4, and now its a 5 again. I am sure that in the end, I'll probably have a PR of 4 - as it seems Google is using its old data right now.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have had a page rank for a while now, a page rank of 4. Thats comparable to the number 1 ranking and former official wonder stuff site - www.thewonderstuff.com

I had a number 2 ranking for maybe 2 weeks before it shot back down to to 121.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check again in a few days time and if theres no change I'll reply again (probably respond in a week or so I guess).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

well, its not quite a week yet, but my site has gone up to number 60 so thats a bit of progress I guess. Hopefully soon it will go back into the top 10, it should do as its way more appropriate content than most of the stuff currently above.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

oh well... it all seems to be going backwards. Went up to 51 or so last week and has now slumped back to 66.

I honestly do not understand why there are so many sites with the most tenuous connections to the wonder stuff ahead of the official site. Ticket sites, lyric sites etc etc.

Most infuriating!