1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google's confused between my .com and .net

I have a site that's both .net and .com. All my files are on the .com and the .net is an HTTP redirect.

Somehow the .net has a pagerank of 3, and the .com is still unnoticed... should i swap my files over to the .net domain and HTTP redirect the .com to the .net? Does it matter?
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Flam
    I have a site that's both .net and .com. All my files are on the .com and the .net is an HTTP redirect.

Somehow the .net has a pagerank of 3, and the .com is still unnoticed... should i swap my files over to the .net domain and HTTP redirect the .com to the .net? Does it matter?
    Check the redirect. It must be a 301.

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : Whoosh
  5. No Profile Picture

I don't think you understood my post at all.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I don't think you understood my post at all.
    OK humor me, go to http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/redirect-check/ and check that your redirect is search engine friendly.
  9. No Profile Picture

You still don't understand.
    It's not a question about making a domain redirect search engine friendly. I already know how to do that and have that done from domain.net to domain.com

HOWEVER, domain.net has a pagerank of 3/10 and google presence, whereas domain.com has nothing. The reason for this is because I bought domain.net first then bought domain.com later when it freed up. Should I continue to build upon domain.com or should i swap my files over to the .net domain and HTTP redirect the domain.com to the domain.net? This way I can build ontop of the PR3 domain rather than start over.

But in both cases it takes the user to the same site so I don't know if it even matters.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

You still don't understand.
    It's not a question about making a domain redirect search engine friendly. I already know how to do that and have that done from domain.net to domain.com
    At this point, I would just like to point out that if you had implemented the correct redirect (a 301 as the Kernel has pointed out), you would not be able to check the PageRank of that domain.

This means that it's not correct, and needs to be fixed.

Now before you just go correcting things, check and see which domain is ranking better for the terms that actually matter to you, and stick with that one.
  13. No Profile Picture

I now understand. Thanks. Performed a 301 redirect on the lesser performing domain, which sadly happens to be the .com.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Dragon, Not Lizzard
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

...What?
    It sounds like you ended up reversing the domains.. Is that so?

The .net was redirecting to the .com, and now you made the .com redirect to the .net?

If you would have just corrected the 301, the juice would have flown to the .com as well and very soon it would've had a rank of its own (or should).. Why reverse the order?

Im only asking because it seems that you are pretty bummed about this and want the .com to be the functioning domain, which I totally understand, it would have bummed me too ;)
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by Mushu
    Why reverse the order?
    Not everything gets transferred through a 301. You only retain "most" of the link juice. If one domain out performs the other, then it's best to use that one, as you'll lose less link juice going that route.

Comments on this post

• Mushu agrees : Ok thanks for clearing that up :)
  19. No Profile Picture

Exactly Mushu, but I feared that the .com wouldnt attain the level that the .net had achieved. It's on page one of google for a bunch of keyword searches that I like too. Now my .com 301's to my .net and I can just continue off of the .net.

I truly believe that a .com very slightly outweighs a .net domain, and that the difference is trivial past the initial stages of a website's growth.