1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google - Wrong page is being ranked

Hi All.

So, a got a website on a specific niche. the pages on that website optimized for "product+keyword1" and "product+keyword2".

For "product+keyword1" my website is #1 but for "product+keyword2" i cannot correct url of my website in the top 1,000 results. so i thought maybe it sandboxed that specific keyword for my website or whatever, but on around to 40th spot i can find my website but with a different page that has that keyword as well but not really optimized for it.

It's going on like that for about a year now, and it's not happening only on one page it is happening in more than 200 different product pages.

Any idea ?
  3. Marketroid

Smile My Experience

From my experience, I'd say that there is an algorithm penalty attatch to the web page that you thought fits better with the 2nd keyword phrase.

Any Possible Penalties are those things that you have worked on that do not fall within the terms of the engines. The biggest penalty at Google, I know of, is unnatural backlinks.

Comments on this post

• fathom : In your experience - you're guessing - and that means you are making people jump through hoops "just because".
  5. No Profile Picture

I don't think so

Originally Posted by seoman5
    From my experience, I'd say that there is an algorithm penalty attatch to the web page that you thought fits better with the 2nd keyword phrase.

Any Possible Penalties are those things that you have worked on that do not fall within the terms of the engines. The biggest penalty at Google, I know of, is unnatural backlinks.
    I don't think that's the case because that page is still being ranked for more comparative keywords.
  7. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by seoman5

How on earth can you can conclude that this is a penalty based on the information that yo have been given?
  9. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by whitedolphin
    I don't think that's the case because that page is still being ranked for more comparative keywords.
    Its much more likely that your pages aren't optimized properly and/or you don't have enough quality links pointing to it with your keywords as anchor text!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. There is no penalty for back links. Google has already confirmed that. May be those extraneous links are ignored, but there is no downgrade or penalty. If it were penalized, then I will buy lots of spam links for my competitor websites and they will go down in rankings. In your case, your primary keyword is one that you are targeting for a long time, based on domain age and trust factor, and your secondary targeted keywrods are newer. That is the reason
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Traffic-Bug
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. There is no penalty for back links. Google has already confirmed that. May be those extraneous links are ignored, but there is no downgrade or penalty. If it were penalized, then I will buy lots of spam links for my competitor websites and they will go down in rankings. In your case, your primary keyword is one that you are targeting for a long time, based on domain age and trust factor, and your secondary targeted keywrods are newer. That is the reason
    Nope, that's not the case, at the beginning the website took the top spots for both of the keywords and now only for the secondary keyword (but still taking an "ok" spot for the main keyword with a whole different unrelated page).
  15. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Get a few/some relevant backlinks with the suffering keyword in the anchor text. SEO in Google is still a battle of content > subject theme > backlinks > backlink keyword relevance > backlink quality > SERP placement for the page for any given search query compared to your competition. You claim you have the content... go get the links.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by whitedolphin
    Nope, that's not the case, at the beginning the website took the top spots for both of the keywords and now only for the secondary keyword (but still taking an "ok" spot for the main keyword with a whole different unrelated page).
    The larger a website is [in both unique page urls and links to other pages] the "wierd" Google can address it...

We naturally assume Google will crawl top down and credit 'top down' but it will almost never ever crawl and credit a complete floor at a time... it usually crawls (and credits) in a continuous path that can have it 'crawling out' and entering deep into your domain and crediting "up"... thus -- until it factors every page and every link you can experience "oddball behavior".

Visualize it like a massive snow storm and 1 plow... while their are 100's of shortcuts you can take to normally get from A to B fast... the plow won't likely do any of those shortcuts first - so taking them without the plow plowing can be an unusually long-cut... at times.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    The larger a website is [in both unique page urls and links to other pages] the "wierd" Google can address it...

We naturally assume Google will crawl top down and credit 'top down' but it will almost never ever crawl and credit a complete floor at a time... it usually crawls (and credits) in a continuous path that can have it 'crawling out' and entering deep into your domain and crediting "up"... thus -- until it factors every page and every link you can experience "oddball behavior".

Visualize it like a massive snow storm and 1 plow... while their are 100's of shortcuts you can take to normally get from A to B fast... the plow won't likely do any of those shortcuts first - so taking them without the plow plowing can be an unusually long-cut... at times.
    Well, i know it is always happening for new indexed website (like google indexing first some inner pages and only afterwards the index page and etc...).
    But the current website that we are talking about is 6+ years old and has been like that for a few years now.
  21. rod@missionop.com

6 years old isn't a sandbox issue...

1 page - 1 keyword phrase... most likely a link manipulation thing... e.g. the paterrn of links to the page [external incoming ones] appears as paid links.

It's possible a dup content issue [but really unlikely].

You best bet killed the page in robots.txt [disallow], rel='nofollow" links to it, and add Meta Robots noindex,follow...

...and start anew "identical page" somewhere else.

The turn-around time will be 100% guaranteed faster then guessing what the issue is.