1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google using wrong title for page!

This is very strange!

A 2 keyword search produces results where our page shows normal with a freshness date of March 1.

Add a third keyword and search and Google is using an Old title for our page! The freshness date does not appear but viewing the source for the cached page shows the very same page (I date them) as in the first search.

The title on the cached version is correct. But Google is using the OLD page title in the results???????????

Where could G be getting this old info? In the page title they are using today, the keywords are AFTER the company name.

The current page also has many other changes that may, indeed, not be reflected in the results!!!!!!!!

I just have to wonder what version of this page is REALLY being used to determine it's placement in the serps.

Caryl
  3. Contributing User

By the way....

The title was changed on that page on 2/21/2004

And the third keyword added to the search no longer appears on the page!

Caryl
    Last edited by mcdar; Mar 3rd, 2004 at 06:44 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    God save the Queen

I am currently experiencing a similar peice of Google weirdness.

About 2 weeks ago I totaly redsigned my homepage - new title , description, keywords and content.

If I search for my site using the old keyword combo - I see that I now have 2 listings in the serps - one is my new page where the keyword como now only appears in backlinks and the other is my old page with the keyword combo on-page and in backlinks.

An interesting point to mention is that the new page where the keyword combo only appears in backlinks is placed higher than the old page where the keyword combo was optimised on-page for and had the combo in backlinks.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Half of one of our sites links are links from 2 months ago that haven't worked for 2 months and half the number of pages indexed 2 days ago have disappeared.

Weirds stuff going on for sure, probably another update on the way.
  9. Contributing User

I have suspected since back in December, that there was some sort of pre-qualifying of pages. Since changes I had made, although spidered and cached in G, took 10 days to have some effect in the serps.

This "new evidence" makes me more convinced that NOT all page evaluation is done "on the fly".
  11. Contributing User

Come to think of it...

I have seen evidence of this previously ( within last couple of weeks) with a competitors site. I noticed that in different keyword searches, different titles were appearing for their main page. I wondered how they were doing that. I thought, at the time, they must be doing some sort of cloaking or something.

Caryl
  13. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

When doing a site:www.mydomain.com 2 weeks ago had 400 pages indexed by google... 1 week ago I did the check again and only had 215 pages indexed.. then 2 days ago did the check for the third time and had 315 pages indexed...

Not sure why that would happen either...
  15. Sick of BL's, PR + Google
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

My listings are like #4 one day and #150 next day, then back to #4 again 2 days later.

Up and down more times than a cheap whore,
    err... sorry

With a bit of luck the Googleplex will overload and blow up and take away this feeling of dred everytime I check them.
    Last edited by thewormman; Apr 14th, 2004 at 01:25 PM.
  17. Contributing User

Well I think this is evidence that the cached page being displayed is, not neccessarily, the info being evaluated for placement in the current serps!

This makes it much more difficult to determine what factors need "tweeking".

It's kind of like the old days when you tweeked then had to wait until the next dance to see what effect your changes had. At least then there was a recognizable timeframe.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mcdar
    Well I think this is evidence that the cached page being displayed is, not neccessarily, the info being evaluated for placement in the current serps!

This makes it much more difficult to determine what factors need "tweeking".

It's kind of like the old days when you tweeked then had to wait until the next dance to see what effect your changes had. At least then there was a recognizable timeframe.
    I'm making modifications almost every week and I have noticed the same problem.