1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

google traffic filtering and google spidering

If you have a site where you filter traffic from google to be directed
    to a special page... does this affect how google spiders the site?

In other words, if you come from google, you get directed to a special page,
    but if you just type in the url, you see the "main" page.

This is mostly to try and maximize the sales coming from google, instead of having
    the traffic going to linked sites, etc.. I just want to be sure google still can spider the site
    and still lists it as usual.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.
  3. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by peterp
    If you have a site where you filter traffic from google to be directed
    to a special page... does this affect how google spiders the site?

In other words, if you come from google, you get directed to a special page,
    but if you just type in the url, you see the "main" page.

This is mostly to try and maximize the sales coming from google, instead of having
    the traffic going to linked sites, etc.. I just want to be sure google still can spider the site
    and still lists it as usual.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.
    If you're talking about directing traffic specifically from googlebot to a different page than what the user sees that's called cloaking and it's bad

I suspect you're saying if you were to search at google you want the user to go to a different page than what you would get if you just typed the url in the browser.

If that's the case, that's called a doorway page (assuming there's no other way to get to the page - no incoming links to the page from the rest of your site) and, again, that's bad.

Not to say people don't do both of these tactics tho.

G-Man
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by GeoffreyF67
    If you're talking about directing traffic specifically from googlebot to a different page than what the user sees that's called cloaking and it's bad

I suspect you're saying if you were to search at google you want the user to go to a different page than what you would get if you just typed the url in the browser.

If that's the case, that's called a doorway page (assuming there's no other way to get to the page - no incoming links to the page from the rest of your site) and, again, that's bad.

Not to say people don't do both of these tactics tho.

G-Man
    not really.. this isnt related to cloaking. All I want is to use diffirent traffic from diffirent SEs.

Lets say I want visitors from yahoo to go to a certain section of a site. and visitors from google to another. having a script that directs them there... Does this affect google and SE listings/ google spidering the site?

thanks..
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

not really.. this isnt related to cloaking. All I want is to use diffirent traffic from diffirent SEs.

Lets say I want visitors from yahoo to go to a certain section of a site. and visitors from google to another. having a script that directs them there... Does this affect google and SE listings/ google spidering the site?

thanks..
    That depends on how you accomplish the redirect. As G-man pointed out, it can "look" a lot like cloaking, which can cause you a lot of trouble. By the letter of the law (or of Google's TOS and Guidelines) you have to show Googlebot the same page you show users, otherwise they consider it cloaking. So, if you send a different page to someone refered by Google (i.e., someone clicking on your result link in Google) a different page than you show someone with no referrer (e.g., Googlebot) that is cloaking. It will not affect your site being spidered, but if you get caught you could be banned.

If you show Googlebot the same page as you show visitors referred from Google, you would not be cloaking (at least notbased on their Guidelines) and you SHOULD be fine.

Also, I assume you are accomplishing the redirect via your .htaccess file so that it is transparent to the bot of browser, simply rewriting the delivered page as the URL that was clicked. If not, and you are using a 301, 302 or meta refresh redirect, you could have other problems.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  9. No Profile Picture
    Veteran SEOCHAT Member
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Don't do it...

It's not worth taking the chance....

If you show something different to a user and Googlebot, you run a big risk of getting banned.
    -
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by brandall
    That depends on how you accomplish the redirect. As G-man pointed out, it can "look" a lot like cloaking, which can cause you a lot of trouble. By the letter of the law (or of Google's TOS and Guidelines) you have to show Googlebot the same page you show users, otherwise they consider it cloaking. So, if you send a different page to someone refered by Google (i.e., someone clicking on your result link in Google) a different page than you show someone with no referrer (e.g., Googlebot) that is cloaking. It will not affect your site being spidered, but if you get caught you could be banned.

If you show Googlebot the same page as you show visitors referred from Google, you would not be cloaking (at least notbased on their Guidelines) and you SHOULD be fine.

Also, I assume you are accomplishing the redirect via your .htaccess file so that it is transparent to the bot of browser, simply rewriting the delivered page as the URL that was clicked. If not, and you are using a 301, 302 or meta refresh redirect, you could have other problems.
    This is the answer I was looking.

Thanks for the info!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is the answer I was looking.

Thanks for the info!
    You're welcome. Just to avoid any misunderstanding, though...

While I believe you SHOULD not get penalized so long as you are showing Googlebot and Google serachers the same page, I would still not risk it with a site that was important to me. I have no idea how sophisticated Googles penalty filters are, and even if you are following both the letter of the law and its intention, you may still look a lot like those who aren't and get nailed by a filter that can't tell the difference. I tend to play a pretty conservative game. I don't walk into a store and put small items in my pockets, even if I do have every intention of paying for them beffore I leave. Even though doing so would not be against any law, I wouldn't want to risk LOOKING like a thief. Bottom line - it is risky even if it is not "against the rules".