1. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Google site: prefix search

Hi

I'm new to SEO, so sorry if this turns out to be a dumb question!

As you all probably know if u do a search in google like site:Www.interflora.co.uk it will tell you how many pages google indexes for that site.

What amount of relevence is given to the amount of indexed pages when it comes to determining a sites search page ranking?

cheers
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Dear,
    Your site is very nice, and your doorway pages is all working, google at list 125 pages crawler. and I sure after optimization your site within 2 week depands your key words and site containt related your site.

Have u knowlege for how to optimization for site?

pls answer me

regads

Bhavin

Originally Posted by channel5
    Hi

I'm new to SEO, so sorry if this turns out to be a dumb question!

As you all probably know if u do a search in google like site:Www.interflora.co.uk it will tell you how many pages google indexes for that site.

What amount of relevence is given to the amount of indexed pages when it comes to determining a sites search page ranking?

cheers
  5. SEO chat regular
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Pages and sitemaps

Yes it will tell you how many pages are indexed, this command works in google msn and yahoo all the web and several others (actually it may be universall but i am not 100% sure about that)

In terms of how important the number of pages in a site is each page has an innate PR, so each new page you add to your site will add strenght.

If the new pages are content rich and keyword specific they will should also provide you with visitors ( as long as the seo is correct and you have enough inbound links to the home page of your site).

Dont add pages for pages sake duplicated content will be discounted by google and in yahoo you maybe removed from the index (happened to me 2 months ago).

Try and write several pages around the same topic area and link each of the pages to each other this will strenghten the new pages an increase the chance of you getting more visitors.

Make sure you have a sitemap linked to off every page in your site then make sure every page on the site is on the sitemap (for large sites you may have to create a topic related sitemap see example) this will allow the search engines to pick up the new pages quicker and also give the new pages more strenght.

Site Map (Master)

Gardening
    Football
    Fishing
    Fashion
    Rugby
    Shopping

Football Site Map

George Best
    Manchester United
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Pele
    Maradona

By doing your site map as below you are able to breakdown the topics so you are able to keep below the 100 links per page (as suggested by google). Your topic list will exist on the 'master' site map with each topic area having its own list of actual pages that discuss that topic.

By using this method you will be able to manage your site map much easier !

Try to avoid having more than two levels of the site map if possible ( although if your site is over 1000 pages you will need a third level [ which if you stick to the maximum of 100 per pages as suggested will allow 10,000 pages on the sitemap])

Hope this helps and if you need any further help pm me and i'll try to help.

Many thanks,

Broker Boy
  7. from the horses mouth

Thanks for the answers guys...

I'm not actually trying to optimise www.interflora.co.uk it was just an example

The site i am actually trying to optimise is www.broadband.co.uk the trouble i think i am mainly having is that the major keyword that we are aiming at is broadband , and this is heavily competetive, we rank about 81 on www.google.co.uk searching the uk only (we offer uk specific content).

If anyone can see anything obvious we should be doing (like the sitemap for example, which we dont currently have) then i'd really appreciate knowing!

From reading all the FAQ's and other threads in here it seems to my novice eyes that its mainly backlinks that we struggle on being as we only launched 3 weeks ago its not surprising, most of the backlinks actually point to the previous site on that URL (which was a web design companies website).

thanks
    c5
  9. SEO chat regular

Screwy site

Channel, re-upload your site it's gone a bit screwy !

Cheers,

Broker Boy
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I have heard that G likes larger sites, but have no direct evidence to support this. Broker boy has some excellent advice you should follow, however.
  13. from the horses mouth

@broker boy

the site seems fine to me.. what looks screwey to you? did you get an error?

c5
  15. SEO chat regular

Let me recheck for you

Channel i get a white screen at top with your site waaaay down the bottom ( several scrolls down) and the design looks messed up as well.

Hang on let me check it in firefox, what browser do you use ?

Cheers

BB
  17. SEO chat regular

check in more browsers

Works fine in firefox but not in V5 explorer check it out cause V5 still pretty popular and its 'proper f&!ked' as they say!

GL

BB
  19. from the horses mouth

Yea i know that v5 IE is not happy with it!

its on the "things to fix" list

On an SEO front is there anything i'm obviously missing do u think?