Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Google showing too many backlinks - MUST BE ERROR?!

I logged into my webmasters tools account today and it says I have 7,000+ backlinks.

When it breaks it down, I have 600 to the home page, 15 to about 6-7 sub pages, obviously not = 7000.

Yahoo explorer only shows 2,300...

Does anybody know what the heck this means? Is this a huge error on googles part?

See attached file.

Any ideas?

Edit: Last week, and for ever, I've remembre it showing about 750-800... this just changed over night and i have not done any mass link building or anything like that
    Attached Images
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Maybe they have a sh**load of spare zeroes lying around, so now they're adding some to the page counts
  5. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by dzine
    Maybe they have a sh**load of spare zeroes lying around, so now they're adding some to the page counts
    I mean.... I'll take what I can get, but I'm scared if they fix this error will my rankings drop?
  7. SEO Insultant

Personally I doubt that they've suddenly found lotsa extra backlinks AND counted those towards your rankings. I think it's rather a matter of a "page count display problem" - a temporary glitch if you will.
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  9. SEO Consultant

Personally I doubt that they've suddenly found lotsa extra backlinks AND counted those towards your rankings. I think it's rather a matter of a "page count display problem" - a temporary glitch if you will.
    But isn't the industry standard to believe Yahoo over Google since google only shows x%? Yahoo is showing under 3k? I'm so confused lol
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I just noticed this so came on to talk about it...

my first reaction is that it was showing all the links coming via 301 redirects as well....One of my sites is showing at 46221 when previously it was showing about 900.

If it's including all the links coming to this site as shown in yahoo, and all the 301 redirect links as well, then the 46221 is potentially possible

Which is the same with my other sites as well...the figures are possible if the 301s are taken into account
    Last edited by saigon2010; Jun 29th, 2010 at 08:38 AM.
  13. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by saigon2010
    I just noticed this so came on to talk about it...

my first reaction is that it was showing all the links coming via 301 redirects as well....One of my sites is showing at 46221 when previously it was showing about 900.

If it's including all the links coming to this site, and all the 301 redirect links as well, then the 46221 is potentially possible
    Hmm.. VERY interesting point. I just recently (early last week) created custom 404 pages that are directed to an actual page.

I can PM you the URL, but essentially, if you typed domain.com/fakeurlthatdoesntwork.html, it would take you to my dedicated 404 page which is a plain version of the homepage with links to useful info the view could get back on track with.

I don't believe there are any 301s involved, I did this via Joomla CMS and modified some PHP.

Do you think this could be a reason?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by joshz
    Hmm.. VERY interesting point. I just recently (early last week) created custom 404 pages that are directed to an actual page.

I can PM you the URL, but essentially, if you typed domain.com/fakeurlthatdoesntwork.html, it would take you to my dedicated 404 page which is a plain version of the homepage with links to useful info the view could get back on track with.

I don't believe there are any 301s involved, I did this via Joomla CMS and modified some PHP.

Do you think this could be a reason?
    Only if google suddenly started counting internal links instead of external ones.

Most sites have a 404 set up although specified in the htaccess file.

What I meant above is that the domain in question has a lot of domain history and all in all about 10 different previous domains going back 20 years point there, many of which had thousands of back links which if I check in yahoo still exist.

Therefore if that 46,000 was including all the links that forwarded there via a 301, it's quite possible and of course they wouldn't show up as actual links to the pages in the list below, but I don't think a custom 404 page would have anything to do with it.

Of course however, it's most likely a mistake ;)
    Last edited by saigon2010; Jun 29th, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
  17. SEO Insultant

For the record: Rusty says lotsa people have noticed the same sudden display change.

I haven't. I never check my backlink counts anymore.
  19. SEO Consultant

For the record: Rusty says lotsa people have noticed the same sudden display change.

I haven't. I never check my backlink counts anymore.
    Great find! Thank you! Now my next question: I've added a couple links on NICE PR sites, and in result, I'm currently on the first page of our primary competitive keyword!!! KUDOS TO ME hahah, ok jk, this is after 8 months of hard hard work and thanks you guys - but I'm scared - do you think once this is fixed my SERP's will drop?

Thats my MAIN concern, whether or not i have 1 or 12323421341234 links - I don't care - I just dont want my SERPs to suffer.

Any advice?
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

lotsa signal on many forums this am with Google's reporting of links is vastly over inflated today....ignore same....is my advice....and await the next algo churn...

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

23. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by JVRudnick
    lotsa signal on many forums this am with Google's reporting of links is vastly over inflated today....ignore same....is my advice....and await the next algo churn...

Jim
    But Jim, do you think this error in ready has a direct affect on SERPs?
  25. Raghvendra Tripathi

I logged into my webmasters tools account today and it says I have 7,000+ backlinks.

When it breaks it down, I have 600 to the home page, 15 to about 6-7 sub pages, obviously not = 7000.

Yahoo explorer only shows 2,300...

Does anybody know what the heck this means? Is this a huge error on googles part?

See attached file.

Any ideas?

Edit: Last week, and for ever, I've remembre it showing about 750-800... this just changed over night and i have not done any mass link building or anything like that
    strange, something same happened with my website as well, it had around 8k links day before yesterday and today it have more than 1,40,000+ links, while yahoo shows only 34k links,
    Competing on Internet require something more than a website and that is Search Engine Optimization :

Raghvendra Tripathi ( Not About SEO)
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

But Jim, do you think this error in ready has a direct affect on SERPs?
    No, this won't affect your serps....-

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : Or at least, it "shouldn't"
  29. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

So you mean my last few weeks of linkbuilding efforts are not the reason that my links increased from 225 to 4692?

Darn!

Comments on this post

• GraceFan agrees : :P
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: