1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google showing old cached page!

Hi

Can anyone answer me as to why google shows really old cached pages in the serps when it crawls my site most days.

Example, I currently appear at #90 and 94 in serps for one of my main keywords, but #90 shows a cache date of 29 sept 2004 and #94 show a cache date of 13 july 2004. Using google tool bar (and stats verify) both pages where cached by google last on 28th February 2005. So why is google only showing the old pages?

These pages where very high in the serps until the recent update, and up till then where showing current pages.

I am confused
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Simple answer cause its google.
  5. PHP & MySQL guru

It happened to me a couple of months ago. It's just google messing around with its index. It'll sort itself out within a week.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jjkebab
    It happened to me a couple of months ago. It's just google messing around with its index. It'll sort itself out within a week.
    Its been like this since the update on 2nd feb.
  9. No Profile Picture

Angry fed up...

Originally Posted by Legends
    Its been like this since the update on 2nd feb.
    Well, exactly as in my case. Yesterday GBOT pulled around 6000 Pages from my site a total of around 22'000 per week. I do assume that Google read around 30'000 pages in the last 7 days. These pages are nowhere in the serps, during the same period my indexed pages have decreased by 7000.

Since the beginning of February my pages have dropped to inifinity, my website is not longer available for its unique name, different dc's show different backlink figures, different indexed pages count and different serps.

Did i mentioned that my old page (redirected with a 301 since Nov 04) came back and has now 21'000 indexed pages? All with a date from April 2004 or so... well...

I do receive more visitors from my old page (which is dead since november) then i do from my new one.

Really, im angry.

Thanks

Centronics
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

@Centronics :

I had a site down recently for 5 dayz and I lost many things and have almost same condition like you, I thought it is b'coz I had my site down for few dayz but in your case and seeing few others too , seems to be that google is going made or trying to reduce its database .. hehe

But really it has resulted in loss of few thousand visitors for me now yahoo give more traffic than google to my that site, earlier the ration of google and yahoo giving traffic was 10:1 now it is yahoo to google 2:1 ..

Ultimately decrease in my site's traffic !
  13. Contributing User

I don't think it has anything to do with sites being down. My site has been stable for months 2 days ago I had 2200+ pages indexed in Google today I have just over 500 pages! The weird this is even my home page has been dropped. Then next the pages inside my site show a PR6 while the home page has a PR3.

Is anyone able to make any logic of what has been happening since Feb?
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Andy1664
    I don't think it has anything to do with sites being down. My site has been stable for months 2 days ago I had 2200+ pages indexed in Google today I have just over 500 pages! The weird this is even my home page has been dropped. Then next the pages inside my site show a PR6 while the home page has a PR3.

Is anyone able to make any logic of what has been happening since Feb?
    Really dont know... my theory is that the index is too big for them to handle it properly ...

centronics
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Centronics
    Really dont know... my theory is that the index is too big for them to handle it properly ...

centronics
    It did all seem to get a bit unpredicatble when they increased from 4 to 8 billion pages, it does keep the serps fresh though google show half your pages one month then the other half the next month! solves the problem with not listing new sites What was thought to be the sandbox but now appears to be a plain old swamp with a page eating monster living there.