1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google SERPs slow to update?

Hi all,

For a long time now, Google has been indexing my site and updating its SERPs using the new page after 2-3 days, which has been very useful for tweaking the page for various keywords to "get it right".

Having checked Google today, it's cache shows a new version of my home page which I uploaded 2 days ago, but the position in the SERPs doesn't seem to have changed. Ordinarily, this wouldn't surprise me - maybe the changes i've made haven't affected my position. However, the site below me in the SERPs is still also the same - and yet Google's cache of that site - and the title/description in the SERPs - is showing a 404 for the site with none of the keywords mentioned whatsoever.

Has anyone else noticed this? At the tail end of last week, I made some changes and these were reflected in the SERPs after the usual 2-3 days so it seems to me that Google have changed something very recently, causing their cache to update but the SERPs to stay the same.

Thanks for any feedback,
    Trevor
  3. blog.brightonvibes.com
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Talking Simple

I write this as simple points:
    • Google is doing so much right now that things can go "upside down" over night and then back again

• They recently started doing continual updating instead of the monthly google "shake up" or however you wish to call it. This has also helped get more recent and relevant results as the content tends to be more up to date.

• The google cache is not what google uses to choose the rank of a site, it is essentially "useful information for the user" as they have seperate data for the ranks which includes terms, page rank, back links etc giving each site a set of data and "score" making the searches as quick as they are and giving the most relevant results.

• Sometimes a change will make a difference in the serps, sometimes it wont. 9 times out of 10 it will (as you have experienced) but other times it will stay the same or belly flop down the SERPS.

• I would just carry on as normal and monitor the "overall" effect of your work. As long as you are not losing results you should be fine, especially if it has worked thus far.

• As for the site with the cached 404, this will either update or the result will drop, but there is no telling when.
    I hope that this information gives you some kind of peace of mind. If you wish to question any of what I have said feel free and is shall do my best to help you with a answer.

TTFN
    Dave
    Last edited by sunnymonkey; Dec 10th, 2004 at 08:02 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. I've noticed that Google has been jumping around a bit - especially approx. two weeks ago when all of a sudden my site disappeared from page 1 of the SERPs altogether on a number of keywords! Thankfully, things seem to have settled down a little again after that.

"The google cache is not what google uses to choose the rank of a site" would explain why the 404 page is still ranking - I wasn't clear whether or not G used the cached pages for the ranking or not so thanks for clearing that up

All the best
    Trevor
  7. blog.brightonvibes.com
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Talking np

No problem, glad that it clears things up for you. Sometimes people do get in a panic about something simply because it has been missunderstood, or on many occasions, explained to them wrong.

Great to be of help Trevor.

TTFN
    David