1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google SERP Title & Description Question

This may be a stupid question but I am noticing that sometimes google will display the name of my store on the results page as opposed to my page title. Couple of questions...

1. Is this a good thing?
    2. Is there a line of code I should be adding to my site in addition to my title text for google?

With recent changes in google I found my site that was first page for the past 3 years to have dropped to the middle to end of the second page. I did upgrade my site and moved servers. I can only assume that google places some weight on the age of a site. If I know this was the case I most likely would have toughed it out with my old site.

My site is www.h2opoolproducts.com. If anyone wants to take a look and make suggestions I would totally appreciate it. I am trying to start a long term SEO strategy. Not looking for overnight success, although would not complain if that happened as a result. I recently added an articles section and have written my first article. As time goes on I plan to have many more.

(sorry to stray off topic)

Thanks guys. I am new to the forum but I really like the number of knowledgeable folks there are here.
  3. Need a Phone Card?
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you are seing different results for your Google Title and description it is probably only due to one thing... Google is in the process of some updates at the time you check your rankings. Often when Google is in an update process very OLD results appear... the next time you see results that are not from your <Title> tag hit the cached page link on the search and you will see it is an older version of your page.

<Title> tag is what Google normaly uses for Search results titles.

The fact that you are slipping in your Search Rankings may be that there are new players actively going after the same keywords. Remember SEO is never done, and you have to keep it up for as long as you own your site in order to stay ahead.

Start bulding some inbound links and see if there are areas on your site that you can otimize better (search through some forum discussions and you will come up with plenty of ideas).
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Redguy
    This may be a stupid question but I am noticing that sometimes google will display the name of my store on the results page as opposed to my page title. Couple of questions...

1. Is this a good thing?
    2. Is there a line of code I should be adding to my site in addition to my title text for google?
    Google will sometimes choose to use the title and description from the site's ODP entry. You can stop it doing this with meta-tag <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOODP">
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by john alphaone
    Google will sometimes choose to use the title and description from the site's ODP entry. You can stop it doing this with meta-tag <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOODP">
    Is it better to just let google to that. It seems to me like it might be. A competitor of mine now has #1 position above some of the Mass Pool supply stores. His store recently started showing up in the engine like:

Best Buy Pool Supply
    At Best Buy we stock a complete line of pool supplies, pool heaters, pool cleaners, pool filters, and pool pumps. You'll find pool supplies from Hayward, ...
    www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/ - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

Even though his title is:
    Pool Supplies, Pool Cleaners, Pool Heaters, Pool Pumps, Pool Filters - Pool Supplies Discounted

Sorry if I am being to specific but I couldnt think of another way to explain my question correctly. Thanks for the replys guys.