1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Search Results Quality Skydive?

Admittedly I haven't been in the SEO world in years. Last time I looked at my site ranking was at least 4 years ago.

I have always been on Page 1 .... along with very high quality search results - my main competitors who had similar very useful social networking sites like mine. We all competed and we always were vying for good positions on Page 1 or 2 of google.

Today my buddy told me to look at google for my key search phrase. I was astounded. I was the only one left. The other sites - all of them, at least 10 or so .... completely gone. In their place? A bunch of ridiculous crap like WebMD, Mayo Clinic, .... (ridiculous because they have only 1 page on the given health topic versus an entire site with hundreds of pages of unique content) ....

Those other web sites? My competitors? They're still out there. Still updating their content. Still tens of thousands of users on their forums. Yet gone from the first pages of Google.

Then it got worse ... HuffingtonPost .... Fox News .... single articles. Really? That was Page 1. There weren't *any* quality search results left.
    Page 2? Guess what? Another listing from WebMD ..... and another listing from Huffington Post.

So here is page 1 and 2 of Google and WebMD and Huffington Post taking up 4 spots. Two web sites that have absolutely *nothing* to do with the given topic. What is going on?

Where was I ? Well thankfully I was still the lone ranger. Page 2 ... halfway down. A far cry from the Page 1 Position 1 I held for 10 years.

But im the only one left. No other legit web sites were listed. Just random unrelated junk. Is this a known issue with Google now? I'm so out of the swing of things.
    Last edited by SEOBurger; Feb 6th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't understand - WebMD, Huffington Post, Mayo Clinic - are crap results? They have a very high trust factor with Google, more so than an individual dedicating a site to health related topics. I'd rather read one page from WebMD than 100 pages from some dude in his basement regarding health issues.
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes they are crap results.

Maybe i wasnt clear in my post. I'll repeat:

The search phrase is about a health condition. For the last 15 years Google has accurately displayed web sites on that health topic. Entire web sites. Sites with hundreds of pages on that topic. Unique content. Tens of thousands of users participating. Targeted results.

How exactly is listing Mayo clinic with 4 pages on a health topic considered a "Quality search result" in comparison to what I've described above?

How is linking to a news article on Huffington post ... one page .... grand total .... considered a better search result than what I've described above?

Its not.

Its like linking to CNN.com for an article on "Pizza" instead of linking to the top 15 websites entirely dedicated to Pizza.

Google became famous for finding the quality, unique, dedicated sites on specific topics.

These "Smorgasbord" websites that have a page or two of content on every topic are NOT the best search results.
    Last edited by SEOBurger; Feb 17th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by SEOBurger
    Yes they are crap results.
    What are you concerned about... if everything else is crap and you ain't you have 100% market share.

If you don't have 100% market share then your power of observations is really crappy.

Be thankful you didn't disappear with the spammers.
    Last edited by fathom; Feb 17th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.