1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google says domain.com & domain.com/ different URLS

This makes me very sad. I have done a decent amount of linking in the past few months and I wonder how bad this is going to affect me as I've been setting up the links as domain.com and not domain.com/

Here's the proof about canonical btw

mattcutts.com/blog/canonical-link-tag/
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by davidthemavin
    This makes me very sad. I have done a decent amount of linking in the past few months and I wonder how bad this is going to affect me as I've been setting up the links as domain.com and not domain.com/

Here's the proof about canonical btw

mattcutts.com/blog/canonical-link-tag/
    Actually the two are still viewed as one and the same. The information in the page you mentioned refers to URLs containing parameters at the end. Even if the two were viewed as separate pages, you could solve the issue with the code mentioned in the article.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

That's what I thought, and had even fought people tooth and nail on the subject, but slide 3 clearly states that domain.com is a different url in the eyes of google from domain.com/
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

That is what Matt Cutts wrote, but you do not have to worry about it. Or do you mean that Google engineers are not clever enough to design an algorithm that understands that www.my_site.com is the same as www.my_site.com/ in more than 99.99% websites ?

The truth behind this is that it takes plenty of Google resources to identify all cases of duplicate contents. If you do not consider simplistic situations as this one, you can imagine how much work it is to compare billions of web pages just to find that some of them are identical or almost identical. So Google would like you help them with this "canonical" tag. And by helping Google, you are helping yourself as your position in the SERPs will benefit from an optimized canonicalisation. But again, Google can manage trivial cases without any help from the webmasters.

Jean-Luc
    AWStats Support : add-on's, extra sections, forum, installation assistance + Professional AWStats Services
    200ok.eu Broken Link Checker finds 404 errors, error pages with 200 ok status, missing images, protocol errors, password protected pages, bad domain names, redirect loops, parking pages and more
  9. Contributing User

I agree. I think Google know's they are the same site regardless of "/" or no "/". I have never worried about it 1 bit. It has never stopped a site from ranking in my opinion.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
    That is what Matt Cutts wrote, but you do not have to worry about it. Or do you mean that Google engineers are not clever enough to design an algorithm that understands that www.my_site.com is the same as www.my_site.com/ in more than 99.99% websites ?

The truth behind this is that it takes plenty of Google resources to identify all cases of duplicate contents. If you do not consider simplistic situations as this one, you can imagine how much work it is to compare billions of web pages just to find that some of them are identical or almost identical. So Google would like you help them with this "canonical" tag. And by helping Google, you are helping yourself as your position in the SERPs will benefit from an optimized canonicalisation. But again, Google can manage trivial cases without any help from the webmasters.

Jean-Luc
    Ok good. Yeah, I have even said in other forums years past the exact same thing, "Oh, Google isn't smart enough to know that .com and .com/ are the same thing.

This is reassuring because changing /index.html or /index.aspx is easy.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for the link. interesting blog post
  15. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Here is another simple way to deal with these types of issues

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html
    Live the moment
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Cool blog spot!!