Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. A UK SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google Redefines UK Search

On the morning of Thursday the 14th of September Google redefined the UK search on Google.co.uk many UK sites with .COM domain names saw there home pages removed from the index on the Google UK search, a good two or three of my clients have been stung with this and have seen their home page positions disapeer on the UK search, I don't know what method Google is now using to determin UK sites but it is not a Good one, before Thursday if a .COM domain name was hosted in the UK then Google would class it as a UK site, I prefered it the way it was, many genuine UK sites have been hit by this and some of them are very big and important.
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by David Eaves
    On the morning of Thursday the 14th of September Google redefined the UK search on Google.co.uk many UK sites with .COM domain names saw there home pages removed from the index on the Google UK search, a good two or three of my clients have been stung with this and have seen their home page positions disapeer on the UK search, I don't know what method Google is now using to determin UK sites but it is not a Good one, before Thursday if a .COM domain name was hosted in the UK then Google would class it as a UK site, I prefered it the way it was, many genuine UK sites have been hit by this and some of them are very big and important.
    hmmm i wonder if this is just uk - im in hong kong and when i search hong kong pages only still lots of .com pages that are hong kong companies. have all .com pages dissapeard from uk pages only or just some?
    Live the moment
  5. A UK SEO

It hasn't hit all .com sites some of them have been stung and some of them havn't I expect that at least 50,000 UK .com sites will have been hit by this, that is just a very rough estimate! I don't know weather or not Google have apllied this in other counties.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Aarrgghh

It certainly hit mine (UK based - .com domain) - I was in the google top 5 (from 1-5) for my search results for the past three years - web, graphic design etc etc - now...not even listed - this will kill my business -what the hell is going on!!

:-(

Pete
  9. A UK SEO

I just hope Google sorts it's head out and goes back to the way it was, you should maybe start a .co.uk site Pete and then use your existing site and PageRank to get that one on top of Google by placing text links on all of the pages of your .com site to a new .co.uk site.
  11. A UK SEO

Another thing you could do Pete, would be to set up specific optimised pages about web design, graphic design etc. it will only be your home page that has been removed, create these extra pages with relevant Page title tags, description tags, keywords and content and then create site-wide text links to these pages, they will get indexed within a week and you may get your 1st page positions back.
  13. KSL Consulting

I am not sure what has happened to your site's, but the .com domains that I have designed and put online for UK based companies (UK hosted) are all still there in the SERPS on the Google.co.uk DC I am hitting. I don't even have to click the "pages from the UK" box and they all appear just where they were prior to September 14th.

I am therefore highly sceptical that Google has changed the index to remove .com domains in the way you describe - based on my own observations and tests. In fact, such a scheme would make no logical sense at all. Many thousands of .com domains are owned by UK companies and hosted here.

Maybe your sites got hit by a simultaneous penalty. This is not uncommon these days, especially if they are excessively reciprocal inter-linked.
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks lads - I already have a uk site too - not sure if I can put the URL up? It is only a PR4 however.

In response to the webmaster with all the uk .coms still there then very lucky! I have not been penalised - do not use black hat and have been consistently in the top 5 for years - it all went pete tong however, on thursday!

17. KSL Consulting

Originally Posted by paganpete
    Thanks lads - I already have a uk site too - not sure if I can put the URL up? It is only a PR4 however.

In response to the webmaster with all the uk .coms still there then very lucky! I have not been penalised - do not use black hat and have been consistently in the top 5 for years - it all went pete tong however, on thursday!

If something has happened (but I can't spot it on the DC I am hitting), you could try posting a comment on Matt Cutt's blog. He reads all posts and might be able to offer advice / help.
  19. A UK SEO

FAO Newbieuk
    It has defiantly happened it is only when you search on Google.co.uk on UK pages only and only on certain .com domain names, one site affected by this is ba.com. It is only the index pages that have been removed. This has nothing to do with anyones site being penalised, Google has redifined the UK search. If you cannot see it maybe you should look around a bit more as tens of thousands of UK .com sites have been affected, I could personally list about 100 that are very big time sites. I'm sorry to say this but you are wrong, Google has redefned the UK search on Google.co.uk
    Last edited by David Eaves; Sep 17th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
  21. A UK SEO

By the look of things this site has been affected, however I don't know if it came up on the UK only search before.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

*I'm sorry to say this but you are wrong, Google has redefned the UK search on Google.co.uk*

Thread on this over at WW, http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3051237.htm , looks more like some kind of glitch than anything deliberate IMO...
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

None of our UK targeted .coms seem to have been effected at all, sure looks like a glitch.
    Derryt
  27. A UK SEO

If your .com UK domain name have not been affected then you are lucky, I sure hope it is a glitch.
  29. KSL Consulting

one site affected by this is ba.com.
    When I do a search for British Airways on Google.co.uk their .com domain is #1!!!

So, maybe they've fixed the problem now (morning of 18 September)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: