Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Talking Google Ranking Secrets - Revealed

As Google continues to dominate the search engine market, getting top positions in the SERPS has never been harder. Some of the tried and true methods of SEO that worked in recent years are no longer as reliable as they used to be. This just means its time to change up tactics to deal with the new Google algo.

What used to work?

One thing that has always worked for Google is to get as much anchor text as possible for a certain targeted keyphrase. This is no longer as true as it used to be. Up until a few months ago, a person could usually optimize a page for "blue widgets" and the primary thing he would need to do is point numerous pages to that page all with the anchor text "blue widgets". For this reason, link selling services became highly popular in a short amount of time. You would purchase links from a big site, they would add you to the "Sponsors" section of their footer file, and within a week or so, you'd be number one. You went home happy, the link sellers went home happy, and all was well.

What changed?

Everyone knows Google is a company founded by geniuses and filled with genius, so they had an idea. If people were always "gaming" their system and getting good rankings, how could they combat that? So they decided to go on the Internet and see what was really happening. They
    googled "webmaster forums" and a few other phrases and found a large army of gentle SEOs, many lulled into a false sense of security concerning the ease at which they could rank their own pages, and the pages of their clients. Many of these people were drunk with success, others with alcohol, and the Google Geniuses clearly saw an opportunity to change the world, or at least to wipe the smug looks off the faces of a number of aging nerds. They decided to introduce the concept of "IP Diversity" to the mix. But they didn't stop there. They added the "outbound linking bonus" and the "one way link bonus" at the same time, just to confuse everyone.

How did this change affect people?

Well it wiped the smug look off the faces of many aging nerds. It also set the online world ablaze with conspiracy theories. Among the myths introduced by the mis-interpretation of the emergence of the "IP Diversity Era" are the following:
    1. People who used to rank high using the old methods, now pointed their footers the same way as always, and upon failing to rank, introduced "The Sandbox Effect" to explain the phenomena
    2. Former High PR Flyers who use to point "One Mighty Link" at a page to rank now determined that "PR didn't matter".
      The "White Hat Content is King" crowd had nothing of value to say. Their only reply was that "Google understood quality"
    3. The Spammers said nothing. They merely spammed merrily, mistakingly gaining huge IP diversity, all the while making millions while being idiots, as they usually do. They kept their mouth shuts, hoping no one would repo their Bentley GT, and that the secret would not get out.
    4. The "I don't do SEO I just have a quality site on the web since 1998 people" did nothing either. They always have a ton of link diversity, and have little to fear.

What do we do now to rank in Google?
    We need to still get links, but the metrics have changed. Now we need to look for links that have the following characteristics:
    1. The link is one-way and not recripocated. We do this by triangular linking. SIte A links to Site B and Site B links to Site C and none of the links link back
    2. We need IP addresses from as many ranges as we can find. We do not want more than one link from one site anymore. One link, especially if deep-linked will suffice
    3. We look for links from related sites as much as possible.
    4. We waste NO TIME worrying about the PR of the page linking to us. This is not 2003 anymore and we want diversity, not PR.

What links fit these measures and how do we find more? Now is a great time to submit to directories, if you haven't already. It's also a great time to pay directories, if they don't require a link back to get in. Now is also still an excellent time to buy text links, only not like before. Now we buy text links one by one for low cost, after checking the IP address. We also campain for link partners by mentioning our triangular linking up front.

Now, more than ever, we get out and hustle for every link. This brief summary takes into account my current intrepretation of the Google algo. Am I right? Of course not, or at least not totally, because no one outside of Google, and maybe no one inside, knows the whole picture of what causes rankings. But based on observation, and
    experimentation, the "One Way IP Diverse Link" School of Thought appears to be gaining strength everyday in the SERPS. These are my opinions, and I look forward to discussing them with you.

Original article: Google Secrets Revealed
    Last edited by LilOptimizer; Jul 23rd, 2004 at 12:27 PM.
    SootleDir - When only the finest link will do | Webmaster Forum |
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

good article

learn something every day
  5. Contributing User

one way Links from on topic sites are tke key !!
    Pharmacea.org - New OP Affiliate Program. Join us!. Generic and Brand medications. High 28% commission.
  7. Contributing User

Preach on my brother....... Too bad no one wants to sell links cheap anymore.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Great thoughts...

Seriously speaking, some nice thoughts in that article and your post Liloptimizer...It was even mildly entertaining.

On a less serious note, now that you have exposed Google's latest ruse, they're going to change their algo and you'll have to post all over again! :-P

11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You say:
    We need IP addresses from as many ranges as we can find. We do not want more than one link from one site anymore. One link, especially if deep-linked will suffice
    Is this per page we are targeting in the search results, or really the whole site.

i.e. I have a site that targets band names. I have about 8,000 different bands listed on the site that I do SEO.

Do you think it effective for the following structure
    SiteA/Beatles.htm -> SiteB.Beatles.htm
    SiteA/Rolling-stones.htm -> SiteB.RollingStones.htm
    etc

I can see we only want a single link per site to a given page opn our site, what I am questioning is can a site link to multiple different pages?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Honesty is my only excuse

another exmple of SEO publishing anything to get a little attention

when exactly did the big change in google happen again?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think this is good article, but it lacks factual evidence. I doubt that google would modify its algo because of a very few seo people. Most sites on the Internet are not optimized.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

nicely written post, but without any hard evidence, I agree that it seems to be just another opinion. I personally would love to see a study that determined the value of a one-way link vs a reciprocal link. One-ways are a lot more work, and are they worth it?
  19. Contributing User

great article... thanks for sharing

Gina
  21. Master of the cave
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Cool

So... where's the secret??? :
    Need some free backlinks for your site? Check this out!
  23. Around...The

I doubt that google would modify its algo because of a very few seo people.
    No, but they have to change their algo if they go public because the license of the most important part of their algo belongs to the university and not GG
  25. Disregard Logic, Be Happy

Everyone knows Google is a company founded by geniuses and filled with genius
    Is that right?
    The Source of All Things Must Be Understood.
  27. No Profile Picture

1. The link is one-way and not recripocated. We do this by triangular linking. SIte A links to Site B and Site B links to Site C and none of the links link back
    I would say as of right now recip links work fine

1. We need IP addresses from as many ranges as we can find. We do not want more than one link from one site anymore. One link, especially if deep-linked will suffice
    I would say that more then one link from the same site, or ip is definelty not worht less then one

1. We look for links from related sites as much as possible.
    ummm , thats new

1. We waste NO TIME worrying about the PR of the page linking to us. This is not 2003 anymore and we want diversity, not PR.
    muhahahaha yeah right ,
  29. No Profile Picture

"making millions while being idiots"

where do i sign up
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: