1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Google RankBrain - Third most important ranking signal

FAQ: All About The New Google RankBrain Algorithm
    Google Turning Its Lucrative Web Search Over to AI Machines - Bloomberg Business

RankBrain is one of the “hundreds” of signals that go into an algorithm that determines what results appear on a Google search page and where they are ranked, Corrado said. In the few months it has been deployed, RankBrain has become the third-most important signal contributing to the result of a search query, he said.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Nice share..thanks
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ahhh, great topic! This has been all over the news lately, and I'm interested to hear what folks around these parts think about it.

I think I'll move it over to Google Optimization where we can try and draw more eyes!
  5. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What Exactly Does RankBrain Do?

From emailing with Google, I gather RankBrain is mainly used as a way to interpret the searches that people submit to find pages that might not have the exact words that were searched for.
    This to me sort of suggests targeting long tail search terms may become less effective. Ie the direct matching text on a page may help less than it used to. If google is deciding a very specific search phrase is actually being better answered by a more generic and common search phrase.
    Live the moment
  7. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

I've been following the RankBrain news with great interest. I find it funny to watch on Twitter as someone writes their thoughts about RankBrain and then someone else criticizes them for writing about a subject that they know nothing about. But in reality, I don't think too many of us are experts in machine learning.

I do have some theories about RankBrain though. I am wondering if this is perhaps why we did not see a rerun of Panda or Penguin for so long. If RankBrain started being used in early 2015, it would make sense that perhaps they didn't want to run Panda or Penguin while they were seeing what the effects of the new ML algo would be like.

I also wonder if RankBrain will impact Panda. I feel that in the past, a HUGE component of Panda involved technical site issues. But I feel that if RankBrain is able to learn more and more about what users queries are and what content answers those queries, it's possible that this data could be incorporated into Panda. In other words, if Panda is supposed to surface high quality sites, perhaps RankBrain will make it so that sites that truly are the best experience for users will get some type of a Panda boost.

If this is true, then Panda will be more and more about truly providing the best quality possible and a little less about trimming thin content and having sound technical SEO.
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  9. Not An Expert

The discussion on our sister site Cre8asiteforums is quite active as well: Pinky And The Rankbrain - Google, Bing, Search Engines - Cre8asiteforums
  11. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie

If this is true, then Panda will be more and more about truly providing the best quality possible and a little less about trimming thin content and having sound technical SEO.
    Hi Marie. Nice to see you posting. The idea of having AI incorporated into search results certainly suggests less needs for periodic updates as it suggests that the algorithm is learning and morphing on a more continuous basis. This is likely to make manipulation more difficult.

The 3rd most important… So I would guess 1.Relevance 2.Link juice 3. Rank brain…. So google is (according to quoted article) saying it is now trying harder to work out exactly what people are really looking for when they type a search query and not just return the results that most superficially relate to that query. This is a logical next step I suppose as in the past google has distinguished between navigational, informational and transactional search queries. Now they seem to be implying that people do not necessarily know how to use search queries to gain the desired search results and this AI will better interpret the search query to provide more relevant results.

Has anyone seen any evidence of the reduction in ‘direct matches’ to longtail searches as compared to more relevant/trusted overall content being provided? This could make it harder to capture ‘search phrases’ as less importance could be being placed on the actual phrase.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm quite new, but all I've noticed is words like cheapest being grouped together with the word cheap. if rankbrain is the third most important signal it's still in its infancy and doesn't really change alot.

From what I can gather machine learning is either highly advanced and or very basic, there is no inbetween. Google have the resources and the information. But do they have that much of either and who is going to sift through all that information. It's not rankbrain they need. It's a greater undertstanding of the nature of language and how it's used.
  15. Not An Expert

Gonna sticky this thread for now, since it's still a hot news item. Might unsticky it later when something bigger comes along!
  17. No Profile Picture

Is this new thing gonna affect the search listings? What needs to be done to improve listings? Any ideas?
  19. Not An Expert

I haven't seen too much chatter about it, lately. Seems to be one of those things that has become "wait-and-see," though I'm sure some bright bulbs are out there, working hard and performing experiments to see what's new. WebmasterWorld had a robust discussion back in late October, early November but it seems to have petered off for now.

Forbes had a belated write-up of it as well, back on Nov 12.
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by markroberts
    Ahhh, great topic! This has been all over the news lately, and I'm interested to hear what folks around these parts think about it.
    What I think about it Mark? I think that I will need to skip my beer tonight. Instead, I will have to go through this article thoroughly. Ah, the curse of SEO! ;(
  23. Contributing User

Disappointed. Expected much more from this article. Information are obviously limited at this point.
  25. Not An Expert

Aye, other than the common buzzwords and the knowledge that it's "the third most important ranking signal," I haven't heard much about RankBrain since it was announced. Partly, I think people are focused more on Panda, Penguin, and the Jan 2016 core algo update. Also partly, I think people either don't know enough yet...or they know more than they're willing to share.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You will need to be an SEO tragic to wade through these two...

A couple of hour long videos on RankBrain that I found very informative were:

Google Q&A+ #March (2016)

The RankBrain component of this discussion is around 28min 20sec and 41min 30sec points. The panel includes Andrey Lipattsev (Google), Aamon Johns, Eric Enge, Rand Fishkin.

26 May 16: RankBrain RoundTable with Dave Harry and Doc Sheldon

This video is all about RankBrain. Some VERY experienced SEOs in this panel.

I liked this piece of advice...

"Sit down with the sales team and the customer service team"

"...forget your keyword tool..."

As I hear and interpret the discussions, RankBrain is not an algo ranking factor in the traditional sense, it is more a layer that attempts to better understand the intent of the search query.