1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google is pretty smart

I launched a not-popular ecommerce site exactly a month ago, and it had taken forever for Google to index it. Even to this day, it has an ancient cache for it. It has a PR of 0 and, naturally because I am a newbie, not many backlinks. I get a few dozen hits a day.

But last week, I thought up an idea and built a web page off of my main site, something about the environment. I posted a link request to alldumb.com (I got their name because they "broke" the story on that homeless NYU student who was doing a blog). To my surprise, they posted the link in a few days, and I got thousands of hits on this page!

So I go into Google this morning, and everything is in place. Type in "greencube" and it is #1! It still has a PR of 0, but I'm amazed at how quick Google is when there is lots of traffic and backlinks (many more have been put up, and not at my request).

Bottom line is that Google is great for the public it serves. Just tough on us webmasters trying to get a break.

By the way, all that traffic doesn't seem to mean one thing for my main site, Google will probably still avoid it like the plague.

Interesting stuff.

-Charlie
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Ha haaa , for you Google should be smart. But this looks to me temporary boost.
  5. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

New pages sometimes get a temporary boost in rankings. Also, what is the PR of the page that linked you? If it is high this will explain your jump to the top for a non-competitive keyword.

Hexed
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  7. Zen Master
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Their links are re-directed through their own site so won't pass on page rank. Did you also submit your site to other places?
    The site is quite amusing, so I guess a lot of people will follow links through the site and this may be the reason for your traffic.
    I submitted Clementine's Amazing Renault 4 Garage for fun. We'll see what happens.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google proably knows how many people are hitting your site from their toolbar. Also the site you posted on is a PR5 site so the spiders will probably follow it. I have seen some redirected links that link back to the originating site, but google counts it as a back link. I wonder how that's done.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Interesting about the toolbar. I have no hopes of this being anything but a temporary fluke--and also it doesn't even help my business site in any way I can see or even imagine.
    In fact, it is totally gone from Google now, forget about result #1! I guess Google isn't all that smart. It should never have made it that high to begin with, or sunk so completely 16 hours later.

This is one wacko world we live in! It's all fun and games with the link I posted, but not so for many of us trying to earn a living!