1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Position + Keywords

Do keywords actually effect your position in Google? I ask this because I want my site to be on the first page for the search term travel. I toke all the keywords of the sites in the top 10 positions and counted their keywords, how many times travel came up in keywords, and how many times travel is used in their content. I was amazed to find out rank 5 only had 1 keyword which was travel and rank 9 and 10 had no keywords. Each site had travel come up alot of times in their content and it averaged out at 16.6 times, the average number of keywords was 16 and the word travel was used an average of 4 times in each keyword.

Are keywords worth the hastle or is it all about content?

Thanks

- Kimb3r
  3. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Its not just the content on-page that causes a site to rank for a keyword, it is also the Anchor text of the backlinks that point to the sites pages.

If you look at a sample of the backlinks pointing to each of the sites you are talking about then you'll more than likely find that the keyword "travel" features heavily.

There is no magic keyword density in the content to gain a ranking, just make sure you write good clean content that a human would understand and enjoy reading, include your keywords, but not in an unnatural way.

On a side note, trying to rank for the keyword "travel" will be quite a tough job. Have you considered going for keywords that are a little more specific where you will find less competition. Taking on a majorly competitive keyword can find you getting no traffic at all, whereas if you go for a chunk of a smaller pie you'll find you get some traffic.
  5. No Profile Picture

Great reply . Getting on the first page for travel (ranked 96% difficulty according to seochat) would be a good achievement and help me learn a great deal on keywords, description and a sites content. Ill do some concentration on other keywords first to get me started, thanks!

- Kimb3r
  7. No Profile Picture

After my day of keyword and description analysis I came up with all new keywords and description. Suprisingly 2 days after this post (Jan 11th) my pagerank went from 2 to 4, did I cause this or was it something that was taking a while to happen?
  9. End game expert
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by OFF2
    After my day of keyword and description analysis I came up with all new keywords and description. Suprisingly 2 days after this post (Jan 11th) my pagerank went from 2 to 4, did I cause this or was it something that was taking a while to happen?
    It is caused by the backlinks to your site. Remember to focus on your quality content and backlinks and not so much about your page rank because those things (quality content and backlinks) are the ones that brings good traffic to your site.