1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

google perspective / e-commerce site questions

A few questions regarding page hierarchy and one regarding the meta robots tag..

First, I have an e-commerce site with a home page, linking to products main page.. The products main page has links to 18 main product categories.. There is small text below each of the product categories on the products index page naming some of the subcategories that could be found after entering the product category page..

Tracking googlebots moves, I see it finding those products that don't have subcategories (Products-Category1index-Category1 individual product page) . .. Some of my products go: (Products-Category1-Subcategory1-Subcategory2- Individual product page)..

Would I benefit greatly by making the text descriptions on my product index page into links that go right to the subcat product index page? ('Yahoo style', subcats directly accessible from main page). Basically allowing googlebot to bypass some hierarchy category menus / crawl quicker..

Lastly, I'm noticing googlebot hitting the common pages (info/home/contact-us) repeatedly alot. I'm wondering if this is because I have (META robots / index,follow) on the individual product pages, and every one of the product pages has links to my common pages.. Considering the individual product pages are the last step in my site hierarchy, should I set the Meta robots tag to index only on those pages? Would this prevent googlebot from wasting unneccessary resources repeatedly hitting my root pages (and allow it to hit more new/unique product pages)

Perhaps I don't understand exactly what the follow part is for.. Do be advised that my individual product pages have links to the "previous/next" product detail pages.. so perhaps I would do more harm than good taking out the 'follow'. As I want google to use these to crawl further..

Thanks for any advise

-hummer
    Last edited by azhummer; Sep 9th, 2003 at 07:10 PM.