Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    82

    Google page speed - how important as a ranking factor?


    Been reading alot lately that google is focusing alot more on a website's speed in terms of page speed etc as featured and shown in the webmaster tools.

    How big a ranking factor do u think this is?

    Is it worth re-saving my images in photoshop as lower quality jpegs and halfing the image size so to increase page speed?

    and to get my website loading quicker than the majority of others in my niche?
  2. #2
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by devcfc
    Been reading alot lately that google is focusing alot more on a website's speed in terms of page speed etc as featured and shown in the webmaster tools.

    How big a ranking factor do u think this is?

    Is it worth re-saving my images in photoshop as lower quality jpegs and halfing the image size so to increase page speed?

    and to get my website loading quicker than the majority of others in my niche?
    It is absolutely 100% not a ranking factor.

    Google has suggested it would like to use it as a ranking factor but admits it won't be an overly important factor.

    Indirectly user behavioral analysis e.g. bounce rate which usually increases with slow loads is much more likely.

    Comments on this post

    • EGOL agrees
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    82
    Thanks for the response.

    I read in a newsletter about seo:

    "Google's Matt Cutts recently suggested that the speed of a web page may soon get more attention in Google's ranking algorithm. It seems that Google focuses on fast websites to make the searching experience better."

    So was thinking this was a ranking factor now or just around the corner as it would seem logical to have this.

    Yeah point taken about the page speed/bounce rate as a factor.

    I use analytics to keep tabs on this, and have reduced my bounce rate quite a bit for several sites.
  6. #4
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm sure you can appreciate the value of "hype" to sensationalize a story so it is better than it really is... Well you be the judge:

    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/state-of-the-index-2009/

    Comments start at about 8:30
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    82
    "We currently dont use page speed as a factor in our search results and how we rank..

    There are people at google who want it to be a factor..

    There is at least a chance in 2010 it will be good for your website rankings as well or help a just alittle bit at least"


    worth paying attention to i suppose.
  10. #6
  11. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by devcfc
    "We currently dont use page speed as a factor in our search results and how we rank..

    There are people at google who want it to be a factor..

    There is at least a chance in 2010 it will be good for your website rankings as well or help a just alittle bit at least"


    worth paying attention to i suppose.
    Ya well $400/month hosting bill, xml page with purely text, no pics or any other media... and you'll have the best speed score around... and it still won't mean you'll rank in the top 30 for anything meaningful... those spots are reversed for the best link profiles.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    India,Chennai
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Google has already added page load speed as a factor in google adwords. So it is sure that it will add the same in organic search results also.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by devcfc
    Thanks for the response.

    I read in a newsletter about seo:

    "Google's Matt Cutts recently suggested that the speed of a web page may soon get more attention in Google's ranking algorithm. It seems that Google focuses on fast websites to make the searching experience better."

    So was thinking this was a ra
    I have watched that video. he clearly talks about the speed of loading page will matter their ranking in near future.
  16. #9
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    83% (Not Provided WTF)
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    380
    The only way i think google will OVERULE the democratic nature of the web and choose to serve a user a faster page is in the case of Mobile users.

    NOW, with that said.With normal internet connections, google will NEVER nevermind the democratic nature of the web just because it "thinks" you want the fastest page.

    To the point,,, google is dedicated to letting the users vote on what sites are seen as valuable. Negative user behavior WILL effect your serps. (so take it from there)
  18. #10
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hamilton, Canada
    Posts
    2,695
    Rep Power
    489
    one thing we do, albeit very small, is to run ded servers for our web dev clients...it's a fairly easy set of tasks by rote and at Rackspace, the support is truly fanatical. that said, we've often been approached by new clients who are "fleeing" their current web hosting firm for a variety of reasons, one of which is performance.

    thing I wanted to say is that when we check the # of domains on some of those servers (MS guy here so only in w2k3/w2k8/IIS servers) we see like 14,000 domains on one box.

    that's FOURTEEN THOUSAND domains on one server all using the same RAM and HD access....is it any wonder then that performance might be hindered....sigh....

    I'm always amazed at that kinda "domain packing" and think that such sites WILL be negatively ranked when the speed/performance factor works it's way into the G algo...

    <head shaking still on that 14k!!!>



    Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

    Twitter: @JVRudnick

    read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

  20. #11
  21. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by corporateseo
    I have watched that video. he clearly talks about the speed of loading page will matter their ranking in near future.
    That IS NOT what he said. (I love how rumor is fact because someone used the word MAY)

    I "MAY" **** you also means I "MAY NOT" **** you...

    That seems like a 50/50 deal at best.

    Also "SOME PEOPLE" doesn't say "EVERYONE WITH THE VOTING POWER is in agreement"... "some people" can mean be the office janitor and the mailroom clerk... and noone listens to them.

    Additional, in the same statement Matt said "if we can figure out"... that in itself suggest "we have no clue how to implement this"....

    ...and if you add these all up that initiate "MAY" because a big fat rumor.

    Please don't start suggesting that load time WILL BE a factor in 2010, or before 2020... because that wasn't what was said.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    England, Great Britain, United Kingdom
    Posts
    166
    Rep Power
    15
    Originally Posted by devcfc
    Is it worth re-saving my images in photoshop as lower quality jpegs and halfing the image size so to increase page speed?

    and to get my website loading quicker than the majority of others in my niche?
    Well it depends how you saved your jpeg in photoshop in the first place, if you went File > Save As...
    then yes!

    When saving for the web, use the save images for web function. (CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + S)
    You will see a preview in the different options available.
    Saving for the web can offer 400% file size savings with no noticeable loss, (this is because META Data such as Camera used, etc in not included)

    Try it, it can make a big speed improvement and bandwidth saving.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    82
    Originally Posted by Killjoy
    Well it depends how you saved your jpeg in photoshop in the first place, if you went File > Save As...
    then yes!

    When saving for the web, use the save images for web function. (CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + S)
    You will see a preview in the different options available.
    Saving for the web can offer 400% file size savings with no noticeable loss, (this is because META Data such as Camera used, etc in not included)

    Try it, it can make a big speed improvement and bandwidth saving.
    Yeah i always use save for web in photoshop.

    But the point was, usually I save the jpeg quality as very high or maximum. But by selecting medium it can half the size of the images again without losing too much quality.

    Some of my pages have maybe 40 or 50 images that are necessary to show products in that category.

    So halfing the image size of 50 images is gonna increase page speed. That was my dilema, about whether it would be worth it or not to re save all the images as smaller file sizes.
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    England, Great Britain, United Kingdom
    Posts
    166
    Rep Power
    15
    From memory Very High is 80
    and Medium is only 30.

    I personally use High which is 60, sometimes manually changing this to 70 or 75 depending on the preview, but rarely need to use 80 or even 100!
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    10
    Stupidly I never even considered making my image quality lower to increase speed. My GWT is saying that my site loads rather slowly and to my eye the home page comes up slow. I have a ton of product pictures on my homepage that I could probably reduce although I have kept them in for SEO reasons. Lots of new things to think about.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Google says you donít need a web site any more
    By karma_killer in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 8th, 2006, 05:47 AM
  2. Backlink Manual
    By GaryTheScubaGuy in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 1st, 2006, 06:13 AM
  3. preStart the sandbox !!
    By Canuck in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Oct 6th, 2005, 04:42 AM
  4. What is Google - An Opinion
    By fvkg in forum SEO Help (General Chat)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul 6th, 2005, 05:00 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo