Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

PR update anytime this year?

anyone nhave any clues?

I hope this weekend
    Last edited by OptWizard; Mar 4th, 2004 at 02:29 PM.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

lol - I hope b4 the weekend... but I don't have a clue - sorry
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Maybe there wont be one. They are phasing PR out it seems. The point of these updates was to find the most relevant searches and how to do that better than to do it by content, backlinks and proper themeing instead of relying on a very easy manipulate PR.
    -PK
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

well a backlink update at least would be nice.
  9. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by dazzlindonna
    well a backlink update at least would be nice.
    Usually updates are preceded by a deepcrawl.
    The last deepcrawls : Dec 5 - Dec 23 - Jan 9 - Jan 22 - Feb 5
    I think we missed a bus in Feb and hopefully the March one will be on time... lol
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yep you miss one bus, and then two come along together..

Would like more than 2 feeble extra backlinks this month.. lol
  13. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

hey pk .... i do not see any logic in your conclusion about why they might quit using PR as a significant factor ......

content, backlinks and themeing is JUST AS EASY TO MANIPULATE as pr .... in fact the only way to manipulate pr is by way of backlinks so that is an oximoron and theming is also in large part a function of backlinks ..... so how is it that pr is more easy to manipulate than those items ...??

also ... as for theming .... sorry, but i am NOT SEEING that as an important factor in the serps .... here is CASE STUDY as an example ...

this site ranks in the top 10 for a 6 million page search ... very competitive ....

studying their MEASLY 46 total backlinks tells me that theming is simply not an issue with ranking ....

20 of those backlinks are from TOTALLY UNRELATED (by subjectmatter) sites (this is a whopping 43% of total backlinks) ... BTW, 7 of these links are from pages which have "link" in the file name for the page, like link.htm etc ....... also, 5 of these are alt tags on invisable images burried on the pages of a totally thematically unrelated site that has about 20 invisable links going out of the same page to all unrelated sites (probably the webmaster there is selling those on the sly is my guess - so i wrote that company to ask how much they would charge us for one of those hidden links

5 are from public directories which are subject related

6 are from other sites which are in the same subject category

the other 15 back links are from internal pages in the same site ... it is NOT a big site and does not have any real interesting content .....

the only really interesting feature of the whole analysis ... is that one of the ontopic sites linking to them has a link to SEOINC.com on the same links page (which they call resources.htm instead of links) ....

so, there is simply no theming rearing its head for me to agree that it is of any consequence at all as far as the ranking goes ....

i DO happen to think that maybe they are using some kind of theming to determine how much weight to give to the ancor text in each of the backlinks .... but as for it actually affecting the serp rank ... i do not see it ....

IF you see theming as EVIDENTLY responsible for serp rank ... show me an example to look at ....
    *** Search Engine News, Jesus helps JOE BOB SEO save the whales. ***
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JoeBob
    studying their MEASLY 46 total backlinks tells me that theming is simply not an issue with ranking ....
    If that site has 46 backlinks and you remove the internal backlinks from the equation you are left with 31 true backlinks (maybe Google counts them all the same maybe they don't). Now if you take those thirty one backlinks and consider that 35.5% of these backlinks are from sites with the same theme. I think that gives a reasonably strong argument that there may be some theming going on. Possibly a good way to prove theming is not having a significant effect on the serps is to find a site that is listed much further in the serps and has more themed backlinks than your example.
  17. Savior of the Whales

Hi John ...

Maybe i am missing something .... but that just makes the totally UNRELATED % just increase from 43% to 65% ..... this is not what i think of when i think of a "stong theme" from your backlinks ...

and yes, there are many sites ranking lower which have a higher ratio of on them links .... some with over 90 % of backlinks closely on theme ..... and MORE backlinks to start with also ....
  19. Savior of the Whales

everyone talks about how you need lots of backlinks, on theme, and it all sounds fine .... but if that is the ticket, how do you explaine these kind of examples ... which i see a lot of when i study the serps ...

i cant find a search term where the top 10 does not include this kind of example .... or two or three .... so i doubt the them thing is that relevant ...

here is my conclusion .... IF theming was a reasonably significant factor ... there ought to be pleanty of examples where all 10 of the top serps showd strong theme reflected from their backlinks ...

if that is not a logical conclusion ... why not?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JoeBob
    and yes, there are many sites ranking lower which have a higher ratio of on them links .... some with over 90 % of backlinks closely on theme ..... and MORE backlinks to start with also ....
    That helps. How much lower do they rank?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

JoeBob,

I would love it if your theory is right and theming isn't a huge factor. I have a very difficult time getting related sites linking to mine.
  25. Savior of the Whales

actually, i would say that many of the sites in the next 80 spots have a stronger "theme" than this one .... there are a handful in the 35 to 50 range that i know have a REALLY high on theme backlink percentage ...

we have a site that has the 29th spot (compared to their top 10 spot) that has over a thousand backlinks ... 99% on theme ....

so -- i actually WISHED theming was a big deal .... as it is, i personally think they only use theming to determine if or how much credit to give to ancor text in those backlinks ...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What if theming is like keyword density. Google looks at it, but it doesn't necessarily consider 100% on-theme to be ideal (just like 100% keyword density, or even 50% keyword density are not ideal, or even desirable). It wouldn't surprise me if Google sees "over-themed" sites as spammy -- just like over-keyworded sites are considered spammy.

In the real world (i.e. non-seo'd and non-spam sites) there are lots of crosslinks between otherwise unrelated pages. I have a personal site that talks all about my family, but I also link to a TV show I like and a few sites that are related to hobbies of mine. I think a site with no incomming links like these is as suspicious as one that has been overspammed for keywords.
  29. Contributing User

We are so spoiled now.. we are complaining that there hasn't been a back link update in 2 weeks. Hehehe... I'm right there of course wanting it too, but a year ago people would have really laughed.

- Shawn
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: