1  20.00%
  • Increasing Site popularity
    2  40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Which Google Operator for Site Competitor Checking

Hello Friends,

i am always use the Google Search engine and find my site result using operator like Sit:,link:,info:,related:,etc. so wana to know that have any operator for goolge search so that i can find actual Competitor Site. please help me.and how we will find the Competitor Site from our site.plz guide Me ?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thats an interesting question. You should try finding your competitors in the popular directories website e.g DMOZ, Yahoo Dir etc. (Hint: Search the websites in the same categories as yours in those directores)

I hope this should help. Regarding Search finding a competitor through search engine. Hmm. I will wait for the answers of the gurus on this forum.

Good Luck.
  5. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

Well!! I dont think that such an operator exists till now... I mean, I doubt if finding a real competitor bye writing some kinda algorithm is possible...

An algorithm behind an operator can find some businesses in same niche but again how will it be confirmed that the businesses are existing in same location. On the contrary part... how will it determine if the businesses located at different part of world are capable of providing services in same geographically locations, thus becoming a real competitor...

waiting for expert's opinion....
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The operator for competition is just typing a keyword into search. Your competitors should rank for the same thing.

Duh...

Comments on this post

• KenBob agrees : Ditto
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Funny question. First of all, what are they competing with you for? You probably have a keyword or a group of keywords that should bring you customers (or whatever other kind of traffic, depending on your site monetizing scheme). Furthermore, some of these keywords bring you most money/visitors/subscribers/whatever, while others are plain status keywords (e.g. getting your site to rank for its name). Take the keywords that really matter from the money point of view and check who's ranking for them. Your strongest competition will rank for the highest number of your keywords.

How is Google supposed to know all of this?

On the other hand, if you use Spyfu, it can provide you with some data concerning your competitors which may just be what you're looking for.
  11. Contributing User

Wink hi Dear

Thanks for your reply. but when we type keyword then result is complex of Websites,article sites,book marks,press relaease sites but we want only site compitetor's.
  13. Contributing User

Wink Hello Dear

Very Thanks for your reply and i m agree with your suggestion but my main question was that can we refine site from book mark,Dir,Article and PR.
    but.it's ok...thanks...
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Google Operators

Hi gauravkasera,

Here is the list of Google operators - with examples and explanations:

cache:domain Shows the cache of the domain home page!
    info:domain Returns the listing for the domain and links to the "cache/related/links/site" operator results and sites that contain the domain name.
    link:domain/url Not useful for anything (it should list backlinks to the domain home page/url but - in fact - returns only a random sample, so it is useless)!
    related:domain Is supposed to return a list of sites "related to" the domain, but - in fact - it really returns sites which have links in the same places as yours... This process is known as "co-citation" and there is an excellent article about it here.
    site:domain Lists all urls in the index.
    allintitle:search words Will return a list of urls with ALL the search words in the title.
    intitle:search words Would return results with "search" in the title and "words" somewhere on the page.
    allinurl:domain Will return all pages with the domain name in the url.
    inurl:search words "Search would be in url and "words" somewhere on the page.
    define:word/phrase Will find a definition of the word/phrase (from dictionary/wiki etc)
    ...and finally - a real obscure one:
    stocks:company Looks for the company "stock ticker symbol" (which is a Lettered symbol (up to four letters long) assigned to securities and mutual funds trading on U.S. exchanges)!

None of these is really going to find your competitors sites for you (except the "related" should... if you are listed together in directories etc).

The best way to find your competitors on Google is to search their directory, or search for your target KW's (refined with areas etc if you want to... or use Google local).

Re your poll: It's not going to give you much by way of useful information imho... but here's my summary:
    Reciprocal link is an advantage for Increasing Traffic: Yep (assuming the linking site gets any).
    Reciprocal link is an advantage for Increasing Page Rank: Yep - but less than a one-way link (and too many "obvious" recirocals might be "neutralised")!
    "Reciprocal link is an advantage for Increasing Organic first page Result": No offence but this doesn't make sense! But... If I get your meaning, it might enhance your rankings (assuming the site is relevant to your target KW's), but the "page" you achieve depends on your ranking before you got the link!
    Reciprocal link is an advantage for Increasing site quality: This is subjective (and - obviously - varies case by case.
    Reciprocal link is an advantage for Increasing Site popularity: Doesn't seem very likely... unless your site is a directory, or the reciprocal link brings you more visitors than it costs you!

And finally...
    Originally Posted by gauravkasera
    can we refine site from book mark,Dir,Article and PR.
    I'm afraid I don't understand your question here.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Mar 10th, 2009 at 05:10 AM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]