Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Google Now Showing All Backlinks

Ok, maybe not 100% for a few days, but they are going for that within Webmaster tools.

Here's a quote from Matt Cutts;
    - The backlink tool doesnít show 100% of the backlinks from Google yet, but I expect the number of links that are available to grow.
    - In particular, for my site I was easily able to see more than 10x more links in this new tool than the link: command gave me. The link: command has always returned a small fraction of the backlinks that Google knows about, mainly for historical reasons (e.g. limited disk space on the machines that served up ďlink:Ē data).
    - You can download the backlinks in a really nice CSV format, suitable for slicing and dicing and other analysis. I believe you can export up to a million backlinks if your site has that many backlinks.
    - Do not assume just because you see a backlink that itís carrying weight. Iím going to say that again: Do not assume just because you see a backlink that itís carrying weight. Sometime in the next year, someone will say ďBut I saw an insert-link-fad-here backlink show up in Googleís backlink tool, so it must count. Right?Ē And then Iíll point them back here, where I say do not assume just because you see a backlink that itís carrying weight.
    And from GoogleWebmaster Central;

You asked, and we listened: We've extended our support for querying links to your site to much beyond the link: operator you might have used in the past. Now you can use webmaster tools to view a much larger sample of links to pages on your site that we found on the web. Unlike the link: operator, this data is much more comprehensive and can be classified, filtered, and downloaded. All you need to do is verify site ownership to see this information.

To make this data even more useful, we have divided the world of links into two types: external and internal. Let's understand what kind of links fall into which bucket.

What are external links?
    External links to your site are the links that reside on pages that do not belong to your domain. For example, if you are viewing links for http://www.google.com/, all the links that do not originate from pages on any subdomain of google.com would appear as external links to your site.

What are internal links?

Internal links to your site are the links that reside on pages that belong to your domain. For example, if you are viewing links for http://www.google.com/, all the links that originate from pages on any subdomain of google.com, such as http://www.google.com/ or mobile.google.com, would appear as internal links to your site.

Viewing links to a page on your site

You can view the links to your site by selecting a verified site in your webmaster tools account and clicking on the new Links tab at the top. Once there, you will see the two options on the left: external links and internal links, with the external links view selected. You will also see a table that lists pages on your site, as shown below. The first column of the table lists pages of your site with links to them, and the second column shows the number of the external links to that page that we have available to show you. (Note that this may not be 100% of the external links to this page.)

This table also provides the total number of external links to your site that we have available to show you.
    When in this summary view, click the linked number and go to the detailed list of links to that page.
    When in the detailed view, you'll see the list of all the pages that link to specific page on your site, and the time we last crawled that link. Since you are on the External Links tab on the left, this list is the external pages that point to the page.

Finding links to a specific page on your site
    To find links to a specific page on your site, you first need to find that specific page in the summary view. You can do this by navigating through the table, or if you want to find that page quickly, you can use the handy Find a page link at the top of the table. Just fill in the URL and click See details. For example, if the page you are looking for has the URL http://www.google.com/?main, you can enter ď?mainĒ in the Find a page form. This will take you directly to the detailed view of the links to http://www.google.com/?main.

Viewing internal links

To view internal links to pages on your site, click on the Internal Links tab on the left side bar in the view. This takes you to a summary table that, just like external links view, displays information about pages on your site with internal links to them.

However, this view also provides you with a way to filter the data further: to see links from any of the subdomain on the domain, or links from just the specific subdomain you are currently viewing. For example, if you are currently viewing the internal links to http://www.google.com/, you can either see links from all the subdomains, such as links from http://mobile.google.com/ and http://www.google.com, or you can see links only from other pages on http://www.google.com.

Downloading links data
    There are three different ways to download links data about your site. The first: download the current view of the table you see, which lets you navigate to any summary or details table, and download the data in the current view. Second, and probably the most useful data, is the list all external links to your site. This allows you to download a list of all the links that point to your site, along with the information about the page they point to and the last time we crawled that link. Thirdly, we provide a similar download for all internal links to your site.

We do limit the amount of data you can download for each type of link (for instance, you can currently download up to one million external links). Google knows about more links than the total we show, but the overall fraction of links we show is much, much larger than the link: command currently offers.
    This is great news, especially for all of us doing link building (which should be everybody)

GaryTheScubaGuy
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Already readed and start using it
  5. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    It is about time that Google started doing something for the people that put them in business: the webmaster.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  7. My first avatar here

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    It is about time that Google started doing something for the people that put them in business: the webmaster.
    But at the same time this can make him week... remember "less information to the people = more power for google". This means that if google help webmasters rank their website we will have less work... hahaha.
    I am a content scrapper. If you need to obtain and process big data, pm me.
    I have a multi-threaded spider that runs on several ec2 instances.
    I have been crawling twitter, and other big guys for a while. Outputs: SQL, XML, CSV, MYSQL, TXT
  9. Saving 4 a "giant laser"
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't see the "new Links tab at the top". Is this still available or did they take it down temperarily?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh god, you're right! It's gone!!! AAAAhhh!

Let's hope that it is indeed a temporary thing... I could not find a report on this on the google blog...
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

This is really good news. I checked Google sitemaps, Some sites links are updated, some are yet to update..

Thanks,
    Amar
  15. SEO Elite
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I mean everybody should already know all their backlinks from yahoo and msn. Matt still says that it doesnt show them all. Yahoo and MSN are more reliable. Plus I worry about submitting all my urls to google for webmaster tools
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by pteam
    I mean everybody should already know all their backlinks from yahoo and msn. Matt still says that it doesnt show them all. Yahoo and MSN are more reliable. Plus I worry about submitting all my urls to google for webmaster tools
    Hey pteam...i like the video.

We've always known our bl's for yahoo and msn...have they ever matched? Do I care about msn and yahoo bl's?

No. They have practically no serp push at all...google does. Its one of their top 3 algo factors.For those running link campaigns, and I have two people doing that exclusively, its important to be able to track them for paying customers. Having one on a particular page and giving them a link is one thing, but taking a screen shot and proving their current expenditure is paying off is the point. This will also have them buying more from you.

Matt actually said they weren't showing ALL of his YET, but they increased 10-fold overnight.

Your webmaster sitemap tools do not have anything to do with each different site. Plus this isn't regarding xml sitemaps submission.

But at any rate, on that point, we manage 100's of sites through one adwords interface. So trust me, they do not affect each other if Google knows you manage, or even own multiple sites.

GaryTheScubaGuy

ps. Yes, the tool is down now. Some kind of glitch. We were experiencing some skewed results as well. BL's showing from unrelated sites with no BL's to us either.
  19. Full-Time In-House SEO'er
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Gary, do you look into internal anchor text of links?

How would you rate the importance of this?

Thanks!
  21. SEO Elite

Hey gary,

I understand your point about showing clients. I dont have any clients, just myself.

I personally think that unless the link is buried, its counted by all 3 engines. If the link is findable its counted, not necessarily weighted, or how much its weighted we'll never know. I dont think that some yahoo or msn would find a link that google wouldnt. But if yahoo or msn shows it as a backlink, IMO google does too. ;)
  23. Contributing User

I like the tool. I really didn't know how many of my internal pages had links to them, way too many to check manually. If there was a free tool out there that did this, I missed it.
    Now if Google would only put the PR number of the page you get the link from next to the link, maybe an average of some data centers, that would be cool.
    Keyword Meta Questions Answered
    HTAccess Redirects

Adversity is a spice when added to life makes the dish more interesting.

A magic marker is a SEO's "Easy Button".
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

For my main site it shows backlinks the were crawled in January (I am assuming that's what the dates mean) that were removed back in June of last year! I was so shocked that I went back to those pages to check, and the links were indeed not there.

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  27. Saving 4 a "giant laser"

I like how this tool shows me what percentage of links are going to my home page and how many elsewhere.

I have 2/3 of all links pointing at my home page, think I need to spend some more time on deep linking to even it out to 50/50ish
  29. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by incdeveloper
    But at the same time this can make him week... remember "less information to the people = more power for google". This means that if google help webmasters rank their website we will have less work... hahaha.
    Believe me this will not have that big of an effect. Sure it is cool to see most of the links tracked by Google but since competitors can't see it we can't spy on competition. It only shows what we have already done and Matt noted that not all links shown are valued so it has down-points. But again it is cool to finally see a bigger percentage of the links.

Originally Posted by Chris42
    Oh god, you're right! It's gone!!! AAAAhhh!

Let's hope that it is indeed a temporary thing... I could not find a report on this on the google blog...
    I had a couple reports that new sign-ups didn't see it right away. It has been there for me.

Comments on this post

• GaryTheScubaGuy agrees : you said "it has been there for me" ...very good info. Anymore available regarding this?
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: