Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    bkk
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I don't care about this tool. It's like paralysis by analysis. Am I supposed to go through all these backlinks like some strict headmaster to make sure all those who said they would link to me are actually doing? Give me a frigging break - I'd rather DO something like write unique content for my website that Google truly loves and as a by-product, so do my website visitors (that's a subtle joke spoiled by the words in this parenthesis).

Guys, there's a limit to how much analysis to give your website.

Just follow the basics - create unique content, create genuine link bait while swapping links with relevant websites. End of story, believe me.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Before this I had no idea that a number of sites have linked to an internal page, following the links back, a lot of forum entries, it has provided me with ideas about content development pertaining to the topics I cover. I would have never looked before as I have way too many pages to look up individually. Thanks again Google.

Comments on this post

• GaryTheScubaGuy agrees : exactly...half empty or half full ???
    Keyword Meta Questions Answered
    HTAccess Redirects

Adversity is a spice when added to life makes the dish more interesting.

A magic marker is a SEO's "Easy Button".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I just realize google backlink checker sucks beacuse it doesnt show at all backlinks.I mean there is simply big different between google and yahoo backlinks.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi MaximumTadpole, Damn, If I was lazy enough to have to cut and paste your name, imagine what everyone does for mine

Internal links are important as well. One of the 100's of important and contributing factors. Internal link fall into the navigational aspect I mention in one of the "12 steps".

You on-the-other-hand are asking about anchor text within the backlinks.

I'm glad you asked this because it lends itself to creating a good, clear understanding and nice segway of what was going to be one of the tips I gave in a soon-to-come Advanced SEO Tips post about internal link structure and the "dual-role" that I believe it plays.

Navigation bars are typically parsed. For the n00BIes (newbies) out there (like we all remember we were once), this means the bot remembers that its a navigational element in the site. In some cases this means they ignore it because it doesn't change. (OK, OK advanced users, don't inflate, remember the arena). Its unknown to what extent, and I'm sure there is a cookie-like filter, but my point is to put the anchor text link somewhere else other than the menu. Do this throughout the site, then run it through a Spider Simulator . This will tell you where it goes.

Is it important? Yes...Definitely. The SEO content pages, microsites or blog/forum entries within your site should always navigate back and forth. If your familiar with A-B-C linking (if not look it up), this is the same sort of thing, except A - Z (this being the # of pages in your site)

Now I'm not saying that this is the "end-all"...but it just makes sense.

pteam - I agree about links being counted by all 3. I don't care where they are as well. But I think Google has a serious filter in place to show them (until now), and an even more serious element within their algorithm to determine the weight. I think you can follow my thinking from there...more filters, more parameters, more de/qualifiers.

jwbond makes another great point...it gives you information about the links. I'm sure the blackhats are already out there looking for a way to exploit this.

I also like this tool because if you are active in backlinking, you can use it as an effective way of verifying that the links are there. Especially if your are into link exchanging. I couldn't tell you how many times in the past I exchanged links, only to find out that the Webmaster took it down.
    (*if you exchange links, be sure to check the robots.txt file to be sure the Webmaster didn't try to prevent SE's from seeing the page, thereby making your and everyone else's links look 1-way - which has a higher "bleed effect")

In the end, to be VERY frank, Google has provided an additional Webmaster tool that has its benefits. Just the fact that they did has earned props from me.

I mean ask yourself...why would they? Okay, now you see my point...THEY DID.

I am not an advocate of Google by any means. I can show you many an article, including one I'm doing for Skittzos website that bashes them. Unlike my ex-wife, there are things about Google that I like, and others I absolutely despise, and tend to carry-on about. This is one that I like.

GaryTheScubaGuy

Comments on this post

• pteam agrees : I agree. I would rather have the tool than not have it!
  9. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I think this tool will will see a major dropping of exchanged links. As google continues to deindex peoples low quality link pages and this tool shows that the backlinks of the exchange are not there people will also ditch the link. I imagane that this over the next few months will result in some pretty significant SERP movements.

I also think that this may reduce the importance people pay to PR when exchanging links. (Assuming google updates the data resonbly regularyly) as people will be able to judge if a reciprical link is worth it or not on the basis of wether it shows up in this backlink count. If yes good link if no not worth it.

Asking myself the question as to why google has provided this. My conclusions are 1. It further encourages people to submit a google sitemap. Google wishes people to do this and now has given a majour incetive. 2. It fits google public relations image of being able to say they are responding to webmasters feedback. 3. It will speed up the demise of low qulaity link exchange pages/programs. 4. It will encourage deep linking and targeted landing pages more. This could improve quality of SERP results.

As for the poster who said they had better things to do than check through to see who is backlinking to them. My guess is that you are a minority among those that care about backlinks. Checkin is very easy you just down load the table and than use the find function in excel by puting in a small part of the domain name. It did not take me very long to check over 1000 links.

Anyway i agree that this is a benefit to webmasters and a positive step by google. I just hope that it is over time it provides an accurate count and not just a bigger percentage of backlinks than before. At the moment my research shows it is not provideng accurate data on who has got a link to you.
    Last edited by gazzahk; Feb 7th, 2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Live the moment
  11. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

GaryTheScubaGuy agrees: you said "it has been there for me" ...very good info. Anymore available regarding this?
    Well it is still showing up for me. I haven't had any problems so far. One of my clients just Pmed to tell me it showed up for them now. Not sure what is going on here as I heard that it shows up instantly for some. Google trick?
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  13. No Profile Picture
    bkk
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Before this I had no idea that a number of sites have linked to an internal page, following the links back, a lot of forum entries, it has provided me with ideas about content development pertaining to the topics I cover. I would have never looked before as I have way too many pages to look up individually. Thanks again Google.
    A quality link will produce ACTUAL traffic to the site - organic click throughs. Google likes these kinds of links because they're likely to be on popular websites, on a page that people actualy read. These are links worth having and I know by my own referral stats what those links are to my site. I don't care about the other links because if I don't see a referral from it, it's dead to me (and yes, I do get referrals from dmoz, though not many) because it's likely buried 3 category levels down in some obscure links page that nobody ever reads.

Google does not pay much attention (if any) to these kinds of links and nor should you - just read your referral stats - it's all you need to know.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: