1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google not showing the main page in results?

I've had my website up for a little over a month now, it's a small site about my contracting business. When I Google "mycity electrician" from a clean browser, my website comes up as the first result on the 3rd page. However, it's the Contact page, not the home page.

Is there any way to force the homepage to come up so potential customers get the proper effect instead of just seeing a lame Contact page?

Thanks!
  3. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Remember that Google serves up the most relevant page for a search. If I had to guess, I'd say your contact page has more content than your index (i.e. your index page is nothing but images, Flash, etc). I bet if you fixed that, it would make your index more relevant.
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Highland
    Remember that Google serves up the most relevant page for a search. If I had to guess, I'd say your contact page has more content than your index (i.e. your index page is nothing but images, Flash, etc). I bet if you fixed that, it would make your index more relevant.
    Thank you for the reply and information. The contact page has much less content than the home page, the homepage is filled with relevant terms and descriptions of the business as well as the town we are located in and the areas we serve. However, the contact page has the full address and a Google map, maybe that is what's doing it? It just seems odd because my site is setup in the "typical" way, yet I've never seen search results showing the Contact page of other websites like this.
  7. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your address should be on every page of your site. Is the text on your home page 100% unique or was it taken from another site and changed?
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Your address should be on every page of your site. Is the text on your home page 100% unique or was it taken from another site and changed?
    There are 3 paragraphs on the homepage that are similar to what I have on other location pages on my site, the only difference on the location pages is that the city name is different throughout the paragraphs. I will be changing the text on those pages as suggested by someone else on this forum.

Do you think that I got penalized for doing that?