1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Local: For a business with a national reach-what distance to put?

I'm filling out a Google local listing for a client who wants a national reach selling his products online. He also wants to get local traffic from his listing on the local map.

So, under "Service areas and location settings", how should I handle this situation? One source told me to select the "areas served" button, and don't fill it out. Others have said to enter the greatest distance possible when selecting the "Distance from one location" button (which I think is only 500 miles). Others have said that would dilute your local presence on the map, and should just enter maybe 25-30 miles out. What do you think?
    Last edited by Spongey; Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Truthfully I'm not sure so take this all with a grain of salt.

But your local listing will never appear on a national scale even if you serve a national audience.

I don't think there's such a thing as "diluting" your local listing with a higher distance served, so don't sweat that.

And not filling out the areas served won't make Google assume you're national - at least, not from what I've heard.

Sorry I can't be more conclusive, but ultimately you should just use the map listing to cater to very local results and let your SEO do the hauling for the national.
    Interested in SEO? Follow me: @cstechjoel or visit I'm The Best Looking Man In The World (According To Google!).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Since Google Local is specified to only bring you traffic locally the limits are 500 miles n,s,e,w of the business. This is a limitation of the service, but it's main purpose is making pricing affordable for mom and pop shops to advertise.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by davidpolanco
    Since Google Local is specified to only bring you traffic locally the limits are 500 miles n,s,e,w of the business. This is a limitation of the service, but it's main purpose is making pricing affordable for mom and pop shops to advertise.
    I'm sorry, but what?
    "Make pricing affordable"?

Pricing of what!?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your input. I guess the question remains, "Should I choose cities and zip codes, or do the distance thing?"
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ElectricPrez
    I'm sorry, but what?
    "Make pricing affordable"?

Pricing of what!?
    Of Google Local, pricing of Google Local. I am explaining why Google Local only covers 500 miles. Perhaps it was more information than was needed, but regardless I gave it. Do you scrutinize everyones posts or just mine. ::

By the way, I'm sorry.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spongey
    Thanks for your input. I guess the question remains, "Should I choose cities and zip codes, or do the distance thing?"
    Go for the distance, use zip codes only if you want to get specific in a certain area. For example if you have a pizza restaurant that only serves a particular area of town than use zip codes...other wise go the distance.
  15. Contributing User

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I scrutinize everyone's posts because false information is false information.

Google local is free. There's no cost associated. I have no idea why you would bring pricing into it.

Cost has nothing to do with why Google Local covers 500 miles. Relevance has everything to do with that. If you service an area of over 500 miles from a single location, chances are you aren't very "local".
    It's not like Google would need to charge if they started allowing listings for 501 miles.

Maybe I missed something, so explain again, what cost/price are you even referring to!?
    Last edited by ElectricPrez; Feb 27th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I scrutinize everyone's posts because false information is false information.

Google local is free. There's no cost associated. I have no idea why you would bring pricing into it.

Cost has nothing to do with why Google Local covers 500 miles. Relevance has everything to do with that. If you service an area of over 500 miles from a single location, chances are you aren't very "local".
    It's not like Google would need to charge if they started allowing listings for 501 miles.

Maybe I missed something, so explain again, what cost/price are you even referring to!?
    Take a closer look. 30 days free, only. (or at the promotion for a few of my clients) Try signing up for yourself and having a look kind sir.
  19. Contributing User

With all due respect, I have set up listings for multiple clients, some of which have endured for over two years now. I know the process and the system. They are free and remain free. Again, not trying to sound uppity or be a jerk, but I have no idea what pricing or 30-day period you are talking about. Perhaps you are referring to Boost or some other local-based Google service?

I am referring to Google Places for business, aka: Google Local Listings.
    Last edited by ElectricPrez; Feb 27th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by davidpolanco
    Take a closer look. 30 days free, only. (or at the promotion for a few of my clients) Try signing up for yourself and having a look kind sir.
    I found this on the Google Places help pages link. Since I am a new user, I am not allowed to post the link for you.

Get started: Benefits of Google Places

Reach millions of Google users, quickly and for free, with Google Places

More people search for businesses online than anywhere else, so it's important to make sure your business listing can be easily found on Google.com and Google Maps. With Google Places, creating a great listing takes just a few minutes and doesnít cost a thing.

Edit your listing and speak for yourself

Your business probably already shows up on Google, but you should still verify your listing and make sure its details are accurate and thorough. Your improvements will start appearing as soon as you verify them through Google Places. Also, you can add notifications

Practical and easy to manage

Your Google listing is an easy way to maintain an online presence even if you donít have a website. You can visit Google Places anytime to edit your information or see how many people have seen and clicked on your listing.

Premium options, all for free

Hope this helps.

Comments on this post

• ElectricPrez agrees : Thanks for tracking this down!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Any one can list a listing sure that's free...but look on how Google is monetizing the service.

Please see the pro services. 30 days.
  25. Contributing User

Right, so we're talking about different things.
    What the person was asking wasn't about the monetary portion of Boost (which is still relatively new and underutilized) and everything to do with their free local listing - I think (?).

To that end, the "500 mile" limit has nothing to do with money, pricing or monetizing the service.

Either way, glad we cleared up the confusion and sorry if I came across abrasive, I just didn't understand why you were bringing price into it. That's a secondary service and not what people are usually referring to when they talk about local listings.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Right, so we're talking about different things.
    What the person was asking wasn't about the monetary portion of Boost (which is still relatively new and underutilized) and everything to do with their free local listing - I think (?).

To that end, the "500 mile" limit has nothing to do with money, pricing or monetizing the service.

Either way, glad we cleared up the confusion and sorry if I came across abrasive, I just didn't understand why you were bringing price into it. That's a secondary service and not what people are usually referring to when they talk about local listings.
    No worries. Only those who care will rebuttal. This thread should have been closed at post 7.