1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Indexing RSS Feeds Questions

I run an online automotive database that is pretty well placed in google for searching for specific keywords. I recently implemented an automated system for generating up to date RSS feeds for each car make model in the database with hopes that it would generate additional traffic, by further demonstrating that my site has fresh content.

Google is starting to index the feeds, and I can search google for specific keywords, bringing up the RSS feeds in google's search results.

The issue now arises that when non RSS users are clicking on the links to the RSS feeds from google, they are not going to get what they are expecting, instead of a website, depending on the browser, they'll get the browsers interpretation of the XML inside the feed.

I suppose I could disallow indexing of the RSS feeds, but there are hundreds of unique and regularly updated feeds that the search engines will be picking up, and I'm hoping for a ranking/traffic boost from this fresh RSS content...

Does the MIME type matter when serving the RSS feeds? The feedvalidator.org site says I'm improperly serving the feeds as text/html, I've read elsewhere that for search engines, the text/html is best.

Anyone experience similar issues or have any comments?
  3. <- Solan Gundersen
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You could always format your RSS with CSS, then the content will be easy to read for those visiting the webpage with a browser (work's only OK in IE, but work's good in Opera and Mozilla/Firefox). Don't affect those who reads the content with an RSS-reader.

Just check out the RSS found on my site to see what I'm talking about.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

this seems like a good option.... is there any way to activate the links that are displayed?

also, in firefox, safari my rss page is displayed... but on IE for the PC, nothing at all comes up....