1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Indexing - New Site

Hi all,

I recently developed a web-site for a company which had the Domain name registered for a month or two with a default hosting splash page, before I switched the nameservers to point to the actual site on a new hosting provider.

I submitted my sitemap (generated with xml-sitemaps.org of course) into Google webmaster tools, 3 days ago for the site. The sitemap has over 450 links. I see in the Google Webmaster Tools sitemap section for my site, that Google has Indexed 5 pages. It's not a giant leap for me to think that Google skipped all the dynamically (url rewritten(.mod_rewrite) links), and only indexed the 5 actual pages that the site currently has. (The other 400+ links are generated with URL parameters, all based on the same 5 pages.) (Index, equipment, inventory, rent, sell, contact us).

Here's the actual line of info about the sitemap and my web-site from google webmaster tools page:

Sitemap: Type: Date Processed: Items: Submitted: Indexed:
    /sitemap.xml
    Sitemap Dec 13, 2012
    -
    Web
    484 5

Is there a problem here, or do I just need to allow Google more time? Also, if you need to see the actual site URL, i'll PM it to you.

Thank you for helping me understanding this process.
    Last edited by RCast; Dec 15th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

>>same 5 pages.) (Index, equipment, inventory, rent, sell, contact us).

are all the pages not shown in your statement above follow?
    and did you check site:url ?

You also can use your pm until you have 10 posts.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Dec 15th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

The URL I used for google webmaster tools was Example Domain. The Sitemap in the (/) root folder, has over 400 links with a Example Domain syntax. Should I have the http:// and www. in there? Also - I'm not sure if it's just missing my rewritten URL's or maybe it takes longer then 3 days. But Why exactly 5 pages have been indexed, when there are only 5 ACTUAL pages, and the rest of the links or rewritten URL's with specific parameters? I don't understand.. ur post?
  7. No Profile Picture

Ok, I googled the domain name and came up with 3 Links in google all together containing my URL: example.com/, Example Domain, and one random deeper link Example Domain

Does this make any sense to you all?
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I don't see anything unusual here at all.

First off Google will index your dynamically written pages. I have a website with thousands of pages that, in php terms, are just one page. In fact this also goes for most internet shops, property portals, etc.

But you give your sitemap to Google and it will index a handful of your pages to start with. If things go well it will start indexing more pages - it just doesn't know if it's worth it yet ....

If you want to feel real pain give your sitemap to Bing and watch how long it takes for it to grudgingly add one URL!
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  11. No Profile Picture

Launching a brand new website is tough. When you first start out, your website is completely unknown, you have no inbound links, and you can’t be found in the search engines.
    It can take quite some time for Google’s crawlers to index all the pages in a new website just by following links. The larger the website, the more time it can take. Pages at a high click depth from your homepage can take a lot longer to get indexed because the crawlers don’t discover them until after several rounds of indexing and link following have occurred. I find that adding an XML sitemap really solves this problem because it tells Google about all your pages ahead of time. If you have a large website with many high click depth pages then an XML sitemap will help indexing enormously.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by RCast
    Hi all,

I recently developed a web-site for a company which had the Domain name registered for a month or two with a default hosting splash page, before I switched the nameservers to point to the actual site on a new hosting provider.

I submitted my sitemap (generated with xml-sitemaps.org of course) into Google webmaster tools, 3 days ago for the site. The sitemap has over 450 links. I see in the Google Webmaster Tools sitemap section for my site, that Google has Indexed 5 pages. It's not a giant leap for me to think that Google skipped all the dynamically (url rewritten(.mod_rewrite) links), and only indexed the 5 actual pages that the site currently has. (The other 400+ links are generated with URL parameters, all based on the same 5 pages.) (Index, equipment, inventory, rent, sell, contact us).

Here's the actual line of info about the sitemap and my web-site from google webmaster tools page:

Sitemap: Type: Date Processed: Items: Submitted: Indexed:
    /sitemap.xml Sitemap Dec 13, 2012 - Web 484 5

Is there a problem here, or do I just need to allow Google more time? Also, if you need to see the actual site URL, i'll PM it to you.

Thank you for helping me understanding this process.
    You need to wait for atleast a week to see if Google is indexing more of your pages as google cant index all pages in one go. What you can do is, you can start randomly bookmark few of your pages through which Google will automatically will come on your website more frequesntly and start indexing more pages linked to that particular page. Bookmark in delicious and stumble is a good option to start with.
  15. No Profile Picture

This is more of a question than a reply - not much experience. I have a site that's comprised of a main domain and 10 subdomains in different niches. each subdomain has around 60-100 pages. I started building backlinks and reached 463 pages indexed a few days ago, and every day since the number of indexed pages goes down 463, 458, 446, 308, and 243. Is this what's referred to as google dance or is it because I am doing something wrong. I used a tool called Traffic Launch Pad to submit the url and rss feed to about 130 sites, and I did that for the main domain and the 10 subs. I also submitted the urls to 5-6 sites such as markosweb, howsmysite and took the rss feeds from those sites and created a page at yahoopipes. Can someone point out what is causing the drop in indexed pages and if you see anything wrong in what I am doing. Your advice would be much appreciated.
  17. Online Business Builder

You will have to give enough time for crawling and indexing.
    If your pages are having duplicate content, indexing can be supplemental and delayed.
    If your pages are too deeper and your website have wired links structure, crawling can indexing can be delayed.

Sharing you few tips that can be followed to increasing indexation and crawling.

Sitemap.xml (you already did it)
    website's internal linking (make sure all your important pages are just one or two click away)
    Your page content should be accessible by bot.
    Keep building links can also make search engine busy crawling your website
    Make sure your server is up most of the time and you faced down time for very limited time
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by lolaws.com
    This is more of a question than a reply - not much experience. I have a site that's comprised of a main domain and 10 subdomains in different niches. each subdomain has around 60-100 pages. I started building backlinks and reached 463 pages indexed a few days ago, and every day since the number of indexed pages goes down 463, 458, 446, 308, and 243. Is this what's referred to as google dance or is it because I am doing something wrong. I used a tool called Traffic Launch Pad to submit the url and rss feed to about 130 sites, and I did that for the main domain and the 10 subs. I also submitted the urls to 5-6 sites such as markosweb, howsmysite and took the rss feeds from those sites and created a page at yahoopipes. Can someone point out what is causing the drop in indexed pages and if you see anything wrong in what I am doing. Your advice would be much appreciated.
    What are you doing wrong? Alot!

You created 130 backlinks, probably from sites that are no more than link farms so you fall foul of Google's "unnatural links" penalty.

You gave your RSS feeds to 130 sites so there are now 130 sites duplicating the content of your website - you fall foul of Google's "duplicate content" penalties - if any of those sites have a better PR than you they may be given the credit for the content while your site is removed from the rankings.

You took RSS feeds from other sites so you are now duplicating their content - more "duplicate content" penalties for displaying what already exists on the web.

Your next job would be to set about removing those 130 links and getting your rss feeds off those other sites. Build a few high quality links that will take time but count for something rather than dozens or hundreds that will just get you dinged!

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : Yep, kinda went way over the edge.
  21. No Profile Picture

I really messed up. I unpublished and deleted all the yahoo pipes that were created from rss feeds. I am not sure how to remove the rss from the other sites but will find out. I actually started building links to high authority sites. Thanks for the advice everyone.
  23. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Going back to the OP - what header response code do you get when you try the URLs. It could be that your dynamic rewriting technique is not generating the correct response.
  25. No Profile Picture

I am the one who messed up big time trying to rank a site. The number of indexed pages has been going down gradually and now it is down to 112 from 463. I discovered that this site that I purchased is a template site that has hundreds of duplicate sites. Crazy thing is, they have Google's name as the header. I revisited the sellers sales page and took the link for a site that they claim is making 5 figures from Clickbank and Adsense - with names, screenshots, the whole bit. When I checked the rankings for that site I did not find one backlink, and the number of indexed pages is a lonely 1 - it is the page that has the screen shots of the supposed Clickbank ($13,000+) and Adsense ($4,511.00) earnings for the month. What I found odd is how can Google allow their name to be placed on these template sites, and do you think such site can make money? I know I'll be in for some glutter punishment but go ahead it will be well deserved. thanks.