1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google indexing issue

Hi,

My site has about 2000 pages. But the no of pages indexed in google is about 300. I have submitted a sitemap to google about 3-4 months ago.

Please have a look at this page.
    http://www*screene*com/free-screensavers/nature-screensavers/waterfalls/

Next to the thumbnails. I have given a link to the whole text paragraph. Can this be the reason, google is not indexing pages.

Is linking a whole paragraph to a page advisable. Its kindof helpful for my users. But if there is a problem with seo, i can afford to remove it.

I am looking forward to your opinion on this.

Thanks,

Nishant
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Linking the whole paragraph will dilute the effect of individual search terms in the anchor text.

However that won't be the reason why your pages are not all indexed. Many sites have this problem at the moment. Previously PR was the main determinant on how many pages Google would index for a site. Now the rules appear to have changed.
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?
  5. No Profile Picture

i redesigned this site about 3-4 months back. I actually removed all the older pages and put in completely new pages. That time- my pr dropped from 5 to 4.

Can this be the reason, why google is refusing to index my pages.

And i am also making html sitemaps. google has said that links from 1 page should be around 100. so for 2000 pages, i wll be having about 20 sitemap pages.

Any more suggestions.

Nishant
  7. My SE ran out of Gas...

i redesigned this site about 3-4 months back. I actually removed all the older pages and put in completely new pages. That time- my pr dropped from 5 to 4.
    In that update, where there was any URL changes, if Yes, did you made te proper redirects and rest of the points... ????

The indexing won't be that big issue, if your site is not plaed in the suspecious list in Google's Eye... Some technical faults may make sites de-indexed from the cache...

Try the Sitemap one and see whether that resolves the issue or not. Normally the indexes should be get retained....
    KICHUS - SEO KiD
    "Sooner or later, those who win are those who believe they can."
    • Virtue SEO - "a plan with the virtue of being practical"

SEO Consultant India
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kichus
    In that update, where there was any URL changes, if Yes, did you made te proper redirects and rest of the points... ????

The indexing won't be that big issue, if your site is not plaed in the suspecious list in Google's Eye... Some technical faults may make sites de-indexed from the cache...

Try the Sitemap one and see whether that resolves the issue or not. Normally the indexes should be get retained....
    Thanks for your replies
    1)
    in that site redesign, i had changed the sites offering. i mean before that i used to sell flash designs to webmasters. now the site is offering free wallpapers and free screensavers to users.So page redirects were not possible.

2)
    I also submitted urllist.txt to google. I have already submitted a xml sitemap. Maybe it will make a difference.

3)
    Also, can anybody tell me- In google it says sitemap.xml has been downloaded 20 hours ago. does this mean that my site has been crawled 20 hours ago?

4)
    Also, I have uploaded 5 html sitemaps on my site. I have linked them at the bottom of my homepage www*screene*com.
    Here is one url- http://www*screene*com/sitemap1.php
    Could you please have a look and comment on it. I am looking forward for your suggestions. I have ensured that the links on each sitemap is around 100-120.

I hope i am going in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Nishant
    Last edited by nishantcm; May 8th, 2006 at 06:48 AM.
  11. My SE ran out of Gas...

About the crawl, anyone can only give you the correct answer by analysing your webstats.. So better you can see the webstats and see whether there was any deep crawl from GoogleBot in your site....

meantime... evenif the service got change, you can probably redirect the past pages to the new ones - past directory to new directory - . If you are not doing this, you may going to loose the reputaion gained to those old pages. And if they already have some BLs to pointing to your site, that will evoke, loads of 404 error code and that will devaluate your sites reputation in SEs....
  13. No Profile Picture

I had done the redirecting when i did the redesign.
    Also, i am looking forward for your review on my sitemaps. Point 4 in my previous post.

Also, is there any way of knowing the pages that are partially indexed by google???

Thanks,

nishant
  15. My SE ran out of Gas...

partial Index means - meant - like shows only the Title and URLs without the Description part... in the SERPs...

In your situation, you have 2k pages but currently showing only 33+ for the site: search. Am not sure whether all the 2Ks where listed in the SERPs and suddenly get dropped after the redesign or similar cases.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kichus
    partial Index means - meant - like shows only the Title and URLs without the Description part... in the SERPs...

In your situation, you have 2k pages but currently showing only 33+ for the site: search. Am not sure whether all the 2Ks where listed in the SERPs and suddenly get dropped after the redesign or similar cases.
    they were never indexed. I mean, they were never indexed in google. they did not exist until i remade my site.

Actually i am using the wrong word- "redesign". I have not redesigned my site. But deleted the old site and put up completely new pages.

Thanks again for your replies.

Nishant
  19. KSL Consulting
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by john alphaone
    Previously PR was the main determinant on how many pages Google would index for a site. Now the rules appear to have changed.
    It seems only "authority sites" showing PR6 + are being visited and re-cached currently

Google certainly does move in mysterious ways these days and always (it seems) against the small time website owner. If it's any consolation, we're all in the same boat. According to Matt Cutts blog, this new way of indexing sites saves web sites crawling bandwidth. Shame the Google SERPS are full of outdated cr*p with no sign of this problem being solved any time soon.
    Last edited by newbieuk23; May 8th, 2006 at 09:20 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by newbieuk23
    It seems only "authority sites" showing PR6 + are being visited and re-cached currently

Google certainly does move in mysterious ways these days and always (it seems) against the small time website owner. If it's any consolation, we're all in the same boat. According to Matt Cutts blog, this new way of indexing sites saves web sites crawling bandwidth. Shame the Google SERPS are full of outdated cr*p with no sign of this problem being solved any time soon.
    Actually, I have one new site(about 1 month old). it has around 300 pages and google has indexed all of them. So i am really confused as to what is the problem.

Regards,

Nishant
  23. Contributing User

Nishant, everyone is confused, it's not just you. As I say Google appears to have changed the rules. Obviously they won't tell us what the new rules are because if they did then we'd all start frantically manipulating them to our own advantage.

All we can say for sure is that authority sites don't appear to have a problem maintaining large numbers of pages in the index. It's a reasonable assumption that getting links from authority sites boosts your own authority and therefore this would help your own site with indexing and ranking. Maybe these links would have to be one-way rather than reciprocal.