1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google and Hosting Changes

I need to get a host to upload my website but after the website is completed with programming and all ..I will have to move it to a dedicated server because of disk space usage.. Are there any effects I could see if google spiders the website from the shared hosting IP and then moving it to a dedicated server with a new IP address once all programs are installed.

There will be a robot.txt file disallowing Gbot but I dont know that it will keep them out. My concern is if google indexes anything on the website and then I move it to a new dedicated server will it effect the website in google. Are there any harmful effects from doing this?

Thank you in advance for your advise.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by NotJustMe
    I need to get a host to upload my website but after the website is completed with programming and all ..I will have to move it to a dedicated server because of disk space usage.. Are there any effects I could see if google spiders the website from the shared hosting IP and then moving it to a dedicated server with a new IP address once all programs are installed.

There will be a robot.txt file disallowing Gbot but I dont know that it will keep them out. My concern is if google indexes anything on the website and then I move it to a new dedicated server will it effect the website in google. Are there any harmful effects from doing this?

Thank you in advance for your advise.
    If you keep your old site up and robots.txt and if Google doesn't see new server after DNS changes it may drop your entire site, same the other way round.

You dont have to worry about duplicate content, it will see either one or the other, and not both.

Not sure about IP changes though, shouldn't make much difference

Dan
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Just leave both versions up for a time until the old one is not crawled anymore by GB. But don't exclude the old one with robots.txt!