1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google hates sitewide link

Hello,

I have been hit by google in one of my main keyword and I think while new algo of google is does help to curb some scammer but it is hurting legit site a log.

For one of the major keyword I use to rank 2-6 but then from last few months I was hovering around 20-22 , I checked and on my site I was not using it anchor anywhere alone, so I actually made a little change there was an SITE-wide anchor like "myKeyword-otherKeywoard", took otherKeyword out of link and blast..

few days after that I can't find my site anywhere in google for "myKeyword" anymore.

What it looks like , if you have site and keyword anchored link is added gradually then google loves it and if you add it all of sudden and it reflects on 10ks of pages at once then you are doomed..

But then what if I have site I decide to change link of menu anchor.. thats bad.. it will hit me while I have no intention to manipulate rankings.. isn't ?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

it doesn't seems the correctness
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeap, for sure hates the sitewide links. Remove it ASAP. It happens to me the same, and when I removed it I rise 60 positions. Regards
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Ricky
    Hello,

I have been hit by google in one of my main keyword and I think while new algo of google is does help to curb some scammer but it is hurting legit site a log.

For one of the major keyword I use to rank 2-6 but then from last few months I was hovering around 20-22 , I checked and on my site I was not using it anchor anywhere alone, so I actually made a little change there was an SITE-wide anchor like "myKeyword-otherKeywoard", took otherKeyword out of link and blast..

few days after that I can't find my site anywhere in google for "myKeyword" anymore.

What it looks like , if you have site and keyword anchored link is added gradually then google loves it and if you add it all of sudden and it reflects on 10ks of pages at once then you are doomed..

But then what if I have site I decide to change link of menu anchor.. thats bad.. it will hit me while I have no intention to manipulate rankings.. isn't ?
    Doubt it. I have had clients with sitelinks over 1M links (by their own or natural links) and they dominated for the keyword. Sitewide alone will not bring a penalty. Sitewide mixed with other blackhat SEO methods could.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I don't think it is sitewide links that Google dislikes...it is links that are obviously self made that they don't like. That being said, one single sitewide link containing your keyword is unlikely to move you from position 2 to position 22.

Google's pretty good at knowing that if a link is sitewide they're going to count it once and not xx,xxx times.

My main site has some naturally earned sitewide links and some of those contain anchor text and they have not hurt me.
    THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO UNNATURAL LINKS RECOVERY by Dr. Marie Haynes.
    Click here to sign up for my Google Penalty Newsletter.
    Traffic Drop Audits. and Unnatural links penalty recovery help.
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    That being said, one single sitewide link containing your keyword is unlikely to move you from position 2 to position 22.
    Oh, but how easily it can do 22 to 2 :-)
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

May be I did not mention clearly, let me try once more..

1. I was a 2-3 for a good keyword,
    2. From few months I started hovering around 20-22
    3. So I checked what I can do, I found that I am not linking it anywhere in my own site,
    4. I then added an sitewide anchor in footer
    NOTE: I have not used anything else than this .. so no black hat

And now for that keyword my site is not in top 10 page, dont know about deeper

Somewhere, don't think its confusing,eg. I added a new page in my site (new feature) and added link to in menu, that page is instantly available on 100K pages, now if same happens, it will never get any traffic , no matter how hard I worked on it ??

Also,
    If I revert back, will that work or I need to look for disvow tool ?
    Btw, sitewide link does count a lot, I have seen it dramatically affecting ranking in past.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Focus on backlinks of yours ;) fallow quality not quantity, if you will get backlinks from high trust rank websites you will be promoted to higher position

Also keep working on social media websites it is really important too.
  17. No Profile Picture

If you MUST delete a page, redirect the traffic with a 301 redirect to the same page elsewhere or similar content. Google hates 404 pages and will punish you greatly for it, plus you'll lose all the page rank that the content had created. Keep on Google's good side and 301 to a different page.
  19. No Profile Picture

are we talking about sitewide internal links or external links?
    just confused on that part..