Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Google Halloween Update

Ha.. typical of Google to start a big shake up on Halloween.. intentional or co-incidence?!

Anyway I've seen some of my sites hit negatively as well (using google.co.uk as a reference point).

However, here is why not to panic just yet:

1): What good will panic do you? It takes years to build up your position on a keyword, a change to the algo cannot be overcome quickly, making rash changes will not get you anywhere, it's more likely to make it worse.

2): These kind of updates usually dump some pages out of the index temporarily against certain keywords, they usually come back in a matter of days (sometimes quicker), just hold tight.

3): You may find that when you do come back it's actually stronger.

On the note of the kind of symptom I am seeing is that on some terms where my homepage ranked strongly the homepage now no longer ranks at all, and the first page from my site that does rank on these terms is now an inner page from my site. I've seen this kind of symptom before and it has always previously been a temporary issue.

Oh and I can name the time it happened in the UK, it was approx 14:15 GMT.

Comments on this post

• Pudders agrees : Thanks - I sat it out and so far so good
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

No it happend sometime during the night or early morning coz i checked my rankings at 10am and everything was gone already.

Ok so we can call it Halloween Shake ;)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by channel5
    Ha.. typical of Google to start a big shake up on Halloween.. intentional or co-incidence?!

Anyway I've seen some of my sites hit negatively as well (using google.co.uk as a reference point).

However, here is why not to panic just yet:

1): What good will panic do you? It takes years to build up your position on a keyword, a change to the algo cannot be overcome quickly, making rash changes will not get you anywhere, it's more likely to make it worse.
    But it's killing me.... I hope you're right!

Pudders
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

the funny thing is that the serps are filled with results of shopping.msn, shopping.yahoo, wikipedia, books.google, youtube.. you name it
  9. from the horses mouth

Originally Posted by seo-top-ranked
    No it happend sometime during the night or early morning coz i checked my rankings at 10am and everything was gone already.
    Well due to the data centre nature or Google's infrastructure it will have happened in a rolling effect (and some places may not yet be affected).

Looking around various SEO forums it's been happening for around 18 hours or so at present.
  11. from the horses mouth

Originally Posted by Pudders
    But it's killing me.... I hope you're right!

Pudders
    It will settle, not guaranteeing you'll see all your ranks back, but if as I mention in my orignal post you have pages that have just disappeared and other inner pages are ranking for the term (but much lower than the original page was) then you are reasonably likely to reappear in due course around the position you were in.

Whatever happens, there are no quick fixes, so there is no point in panic reactions.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have a thread about this that I started today... when I checked the data centres earlier... we had a 50/50 split of being top poistion. From around 4pm - we no longer are top on any of them!

I really hope this is a temp setback as I hate the wait of making changes to the site and cecking the position everyday!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

but if as I mention in my orignal post you have pages that have just disappeared and other inner pages are ranking for the term (but much lower than the original page was) then you are reasonably likely to reappear in due course around the position you were in.
    Most of my keyword searches produced top 6 poistions with our main keyword being top position. Our main keyword now puts us on page 14!!! All others are scattered. This is on our main page.

Cheers Pudders
  17. from the horses mouth

I have a thread about this that I started today... when I checked the data centres earlier... we had a 50/50 split of being top poistion. From around 4pm - we no longer are top on any of them!

I really hope this is a temp setback as I hate the wait of making changes to the site and cecking the position everyday!

Pudders... I don't know how high traffic your site is, the higher the traffic the easier to answer this question:

1): Have you lost only some rankings? are some unchanged?

2): Of those that have lost ranking, is the normal page that ranks no longer ranking at all, and is the page you are finding deep in the SERPS an inner page that is not usually the highest ranking for that term?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Pudders... I don't know how high traffic your site is, the higher the traffic the easier to answer this question:

1): Have you lost only some rankings? are some unchanged?

2): Of those that have lost ranking, is the normal page that ranks no longer ranking at all, and is the page you are finding deep in the SERPS an inner page that is not usually the highest ranking for that term?
    when you say rankings... Page rankings? if so - none have changed!

The page deep in the SERPS is our main index page...not inner pages!

Our traffic is not majorly high but we are anestablished name in the field of our business and have been for 3 years. Nothing major has changed on the site recently.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just to add some more data to this thread.

My homepage seems to have evaporated from Google. My main kw no longer bring it up, but even more important when you google my company name, which is unique in itself, that doesn't show up the homepage either.

A search of my company name used to bring up my homepage plus sublinks or whatever you call them.

I'm not worried though, had much worse happen over the years.

Comments on this post

• fathom : It's often better to be arrogant than ignorant! Food for thought.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

My websites are going crazy, jumping all over the serps..
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All our search positions seem to have re-established!! Have no clue what is going on though!
  27. from the horses mouth

All our search positions seem to have re-established!! Have no clue what is going on though!
    Like I said, don't panic!

My sites have now also recovered their rankings... for the time being.

The results haven't been rolled back completely to their prior state as I am noticing other competitor sites that have lost/gained positions.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Like I said, don't panic!

My sites have now also recovered their rankings... for the time being.

The results haven't been rolled back completely to their prior state as I am noticing other competitor sites that have lost/gained positions.
    I've checked our competitors and some of them also dropped and they seem to be back in the same positions as before.... not sure I'm liking the "For now" part of your comment

Pudders.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: