1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google Europe says it will stop being bad

If you do any SEO for European customers it looks like Google is about to shake up its' SERPs after getting a wrist slapping:
    BBC News - Google offers clearer search labels after EU probe

Doesn't affect Google US though so it will be interesting to see the cosmetic difference when they roll out the changes...
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I can see where they are coming from in this, kind of. But what gets me is that, well if you applied a normal algorithm to Youtube, wouldn't they rank number one anyway for online videos? This doesn't seem so much about "unfair" competition as, it looks more like adults acting like little babies with their inferior sites. Why shouldn't Google highlight Google Shopping? I don't want to buy from some company run by a 40 year old in his underwear living at his Mom's house. Virtually everybody uses Gmail and Youtube was number one before Google bought them.
  5. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Seems to me Google should be allowed to do what is in the best interest of its shareholders.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Seems to me Google should be allowed to do what is in the best interest of its shareholders.
    Not if it's public.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have my own theory on this - Google doesn't cave in that easily...

I did speculate a while back that Google might try and hijack its' own top 10 so when you do a search you are offered images, YouTube videos, news, shopping, etc. as well as (of course) the adverts. In other words the traditional organic first page could slowly disappear.

We've all seen this start to happen but I suspect Google has found it's getting a negative response from users because it is making search more difficult.

So far from backing down they are doing what they were going to do anyway while dressing it up as "an agreement to comply and be good" and at the same time doing what is best for the shareholders.

Just a theory....