1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is Google disreguarding my site because it reads "therapist" as "the rapist"?

Hello SEO forum,

I have a question regarding troubles with a particular website not getting crawled by Google and was hoping you might be able to assist me.

I've designed a website and have spent quite a good many hours optimizing it as I always do. I've had no trouble in the past getting my sites decent Google rankings, however, seem to be having difficulty getting this one even off the ground.

Currently the site hasn't even been crawled. I've manually submitted it twice now and have waited for about a month with no progress.

As a new member it appears I'm unable to post any links and, while it's not my intention to break any rules, should any of you require the site I'll just bypass the filter.

Now, because I've had no trouble in the past, there's only one thing I can think of that makes this particular website unique and that's the use of "therapist". I'm worried that Google is reading my site as "the rapist" and, because of this misconception, is disregarding me.

Anybody have an opinion on this? I'd appreciate any help you could give as I'm not only out of ideas but am needing to get back to the client soon with a progress report.
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Quick answer is that I do not think so. If you start typing in "therapist(s)" in Google, the auto-complete comes up with the word. Same is true for the word "rapist(s)". If you start typing the "f" word, Google will auto suggest words until you type in the full "f" word. Logic says that "therapist" is not a problem.

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Google does not return adult-oriented sites for a search on "Essex" - so you're most likely not going to have any problems.

Use the "related sites" if you're curious.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by NateBauer
    Hello SEO forum,

I have a question regarding troubles with a particular website not getting crawled by Google and was hoping you might be able to assist me.

I've designed a website and have spent quite a good many hours optimizing it as I always do. I've had no trouble in the past getting my sites decent Google rankings, however, seem to be having difficulty getting this one even off the ground.

Currently the site hasn't even been crawled. I've manually submitted it twice now and have waited for about a month with no progress.

As a new member it appears I'm unable to post any links and, while it's not my intention to break any rules, should any of you require the site I'll just bypass the filter.

Now, because I've had no trouble in the past, there's only one thing I can think of that makes this particular website unique and that's the use of "therapist". I'm worried that Google is reading my site as "the rapist" and, because of this misconception, is disregarding me.

Anybody have an opinion on this? I'd appreciate any help you could give as I'm not only out of ideas but am needing to get back to the client soon with a progress report.

You cant get a site indexed? just bookmark it on some social bookmarking sites, If you want some dofollow ones message me and I will give you a few, then your site will get indexed in less than a week.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : if we keep the posts public then all will learn
  9. No Profile Picture

There should be no problem with the word "therapist" Google spiders look more in detail then the word. They look at your actual site and the content and if their our other keywords that have nothing to do with "rapist" then it is fine.
  11. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

All I could think about in reading the title of this thread was that SNL Celebrity Jeopardy skit

Connery: I'll take the rapists for 500, Alex
    Trebek: It's therapists. Therapists!

I've never heard of Google inserting a space into words where there wasn't one (can you imagine Matt Cutts trying to explain why some woman looking for a therapist was directed to a site about rapists?). Are you seeing traffic from the word "rapists"?
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Your site may have been crawled and disregarded for some reason.

Have you created a sitemap.xml file and registered it on Google Webmaster Tools rather than just 'submitting' the site?

This will then tell you if Google is crawling it but does not want to index it.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by Doodled
    Your site may have been crawled and disregarded for some reason.

Have you created a sitemap.xml file and registered it on Google Webmaster Tools rather than just 'submitting' the site?

This will then tell you if Google is crawling it but does not want to index it.
    I think Doodled is right. Without registering you can't get crawled by Google. Now you should register your site then you can get crawl by Google. as far as i know use of therapist is not a problem at all.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by RezwanKabir
    Without registering you can't get crawled by Google.
    Not true - there are plenty of high ranking sites who don't have a sitemap.xml. But it helps and it will tell you the 'crawling' situation.

I had one sitemap.xml with Bing. It would crawl the homepage every day but not touch the rest of the site. This went on for months even though it was ranking very well in Google. Then one night Bing decided it would take the lot. Wierd, wierd algo that Bing has got!