1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Google backlinks

Hi,

We put our new website up about a month ago and started adding backlinks to our site immediately.
    The site was crawled by Google in a week or two (checked using the site:http://www.mysite.com function) and shortly after we were assigned a PR of 3.
    When I do a link popularity check we have around 200 in each of the search engines, but Google still shows 0 backlinks to our site. Is it common for Google to take its time showing backlinks and if so how long does it usually take to appear for a new site? and once it does show them will that effect your PR for the better?

Thanks in advance for any replies to this query
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You should do a site:www.mysite.com or site:mysite.com, not the http://. G takes time, so just keep building links, and content. I keep a rule of thumb, 3-8 months for new sites to do anything, however I normally beat this in a week or three. Just keep banging it out and you will start to see something.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

From the soon to be launched FAQ:

1.)Why don't all my links show up when I use the link: command?
    A. At this moment Google is only showing a sampling of the total links to you. A few months ago it seemed as though they were only showing those backlinks which were PR4 or higher. This has, however, changed and which links Google chooses to show is now a topic of debate. As far as numbers, it is only important to remember it is a sampling and to just continue your link building strategy.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Your question has also inspired me to add another to the FAQ

Q. When does Google update backlinks and PR?
    A: There isn't a set schedule as many times an update is skipped or late. Backlinks on average are updated around once a month while PR has seemed to move to quarterly. The best way to "guess" when the next update will be is to utilize the SEOChat calender. This can be viewed here : http://forums.seochat.com/calendar.php?
  9. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Jason, do you mean you have important stuff appear in your calendar automatically (which I was expecting but didn't see, when I looked at it)? Or are you suggesting we should enter the dates ourselves. In that case, I prefer Bobmutch' log ;)
    Last edited by Wit; Oct 22nd, 2004 at 03:39 AM. Reason: link added
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

PR but no backlinks

Backlinks on average are updated around once a month while PR has seemed to move to quarterly.

My question is how come we were assigned a PR within 3 weeks or so of putting our site live, but google still has not shown any backlinks when using the link: command?
    When performing the link: command in other engines most of the backlinks are listed and have for quite some time.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by manfred
    Backlinks on average are updated around once a month while PR has seemed to move to quarterly.

My question is how come we were assigned a PR within 3 weeks or so of putting our site live, but google still has not shown any backlinks when using the link: command?
    When performing the link: command in other engines most of the backlinks are listed and have for quite some time.
    Backlinks and PR are updated on different, and irregular, timeframes.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by manfred

Googles link command is not all inclusive, they only show a sampling of the actual backlinks they know about and have done so for quite some time. Therefore they might know of some links that are giving you the PR, but they aren't showing those. Also it could be the new site boost and estimated PR that you are seeing.

Google is not a good place to check a site's total backlinks.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, I agree that what shows is not reality. The number of backlinks does not equal with the number that shows on the toolbar.
  19. Not a Contributing User

G is basically choosy abt showing hte backlinks... & sometime i think only theme links are shown.... i can be wrong as well.. any comments guy ??