Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    9

    Google Analytics have impact on losing Rankings?


    Hello All,

    Before I write about my website losing rankings, yes I did check the sticky about this! And I'm not sure I'm actually talking about Page Ranking the PR but of the SERP. I am new to these terms.

    My website recently fell through the pages of Google's Search Engine horribly within the past few days. (I type in certain search queries that usually show my website at top but now are no where to be found).

    Based upon the work I have been trying to do to the website in the past few days and after reading the Losing Rankings Sticky I'm assuming that my problem has to do with #4 - The Earthquake - The shifting of the websites structure.

    A few things I have done (and these were to try and help with page rankings) - First, I added the website to Google Analytics - The site hadn't been verified after 24 hours, I realize and have had other websites that have taken longer to verify - but having feared that this could be part of the problem of the search engine rankings I immediately deleted the website from the Google Analytics. Do you think Google Analytics had anything to do with the SERP?

    Another thing I did was that I added a new page on to the website "A featured links page" A link on the home page navigation bar on the left was added. The featured links page had links to my facebook, twitter, linkedin, and blog pages.

    My blog - My blog was recently added to a few free blog directories for the first time yesterday. Did these blog directories give my blog a bad name and thus impacting my main website because it is linked to a bad blog? (I thought I was helping! - I hope this isn't the problem...)

    A week ago a few of my main links on the homepage stopped working, they started turning up as "The page isn't redirecting properly" A problem I have found out is caused by linking to a page that directs back to the original page (causing an endless loop). These links were/are a vital part of my business and the webpage and they are there as forms for customers that pop up. These links still haven't been fixed by my original webmaster. These links not properly working, do you think they could have such an effect on my SERP?

    The only other thing I did to any of the pages on my website was center the images and text and also embedded a Google Map on the directions page.

    I appreciate any help that you all may be able to give me!
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    16

    Thumbs up


    Originally Posted by cloud9
    A week ago a few of my main links on the homepage stopped working, they started turning up as "The page isn't redirecting properly" A problem I have found out is caused by linking to a page that directs back to the original page (causing an endless loop). These links were/are a vital part of my business and the webpage and they are there as forms for customers that pop up. These links still haven't been fixed by my original webmaster. These links not properly working, do you think they could have such an effect on my SERP?
    If this is a WordPress website then you can try below steps.

    >> Check the Permalink Settings

    >> Make Permalink Settings to Default then save that setting.

    >> Now again set your Permalink Settings as it was before whatever you were using before and save it. It will resolve your redirecting loop issue.

    This happens when your hosting provider takes your MYSQL database offline and then they bring it online again.

    And yes this can effect on your website SERP.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    9
    Serendipity, I appreciate the reply.

    My blog is on WordPress but the main website is not. The main website is with Emerald Web Hosting.

    And what you said with the SERP - that it does have an impact. Do you think it can have as much of an impact as taking me from Page 1 on Google to not even in the Top 10?

    Thanks!
  6. #4
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    16
    Originally Posted by cloud9
    Serendipity, I appreciate the reply.

    My blog is on WordPress but the main website is not. The main website is with Emerald Web Hosting.

    And what you said with the SERP - that it does have an impact. Do you think it can have as much of an impact as taking me from Page 1 on Google to not even in the Top 10?

    Thanks!
    IMO if your WordPress blog has redirecting loop issue then it effect your blog's SERP.

    If your site is working fine then it could be some other issue.

    I think one of SEO experts will reply you soon..
  8. #5
  9. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,570
    Rep Power
    2495
    Woops missread post... Post deleted.

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic agrees
    Last edited by gazzahk; Apr 9th, 2011 at 04:24 AM.
    Live the moment
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    9
    Yes, I hope the SEO experts help out soon.

    Just to clarify, because it seems like people are confused (I think I may have written too much), my main website is the one having problems with the redirecting links and it's hosted by Emerald Web Hosting, not Wordpress.

    Thank you all for the help!
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Digital Marketing Guru
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi cloud9,

    An infinite loop is always bad bad bad! Get rid of it ASAP!

    To answer the question in the title - no GA is definitely not the culprit here.

    Adding a links page shouldn't impact you that way.

    Adding the blog to some directories should impact the blog, not your main site.

    I'd need a bit more information to say something more:

    In fear of sounding like the IT 'help' going 'is the power on?': what does your /robots.txt or robots meta tag say about all of this?

    What does 'site:' search on Google turn up and does Yahoo Site Explorer index you?

    Do Google Webmaster Tools give any reason or warning?

    Where did the majority of your links come from? With the recent Panda/Farmer update your ranking may have suffered because of links coming from low quality sites..

    All in all - from the information that you've given in your original post, I'd say that you should get the loop thing sorted out and check if your site's not blocking the crawlers with robots.txt or robots meta tag.

    Answering the above questions may bring more light to the issue though.

    -Henry.

    Comments on this post

    • 9DT_Paul agrees
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with Henry, Google Analytics can't be the problem, must be the link issue, especially as they're on the homepage. All the other changes should be helping to improve rankings.
  16. #9
  17. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK - Kent - Maidstone - PC!
    Posts
    3,752
    Rep Power
    1488
    First of all having or not having analytics install will in no way effect your sites seo or anything else, so add it back in analytics so you can view your stats when the sites back to its normal rankings.

    Sort out the redirect loop, that could be causing big problems if google can only see one page or no pages at all! If you cant fix the redirect loop, just remove the redirects for now until you know how to fix it properly. Its better to have no redirect then a redirect that gunu keep stick in a loop.

    Would you mind telling what these links are you built?
    Do you know if you have lost any links?
    Can you post your site so we can have a look to see if anything stands out please?
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

    "stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    9
    Henry & Nathaniel - Thank you both for your comments.

    I do not have access to the robots.txt file through the Emerald Web Site Admin page. I can't even upload html files to the website. I'm really not liking the way this website is set up.

    I didn't want to put my website in the original post didn't know if that was allowed. http allcountyins dot com . As of right now I'm trying to set up the Google Web Master Tools.

    Thanks for helping out a noob!
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,317
    Rep Power
    582

    GA should not effect your rankings


    Using Google Analytics should have no inherent impact on your rankings.
    Think about how easy that would be to game.

    Google likely uses aggregate data from analytics to improve their algorithm but the actual ranking factors will be information that is generally available for every site to be ranked not just those who have signed up for GA. Otherwise too many assumptions must be made to rank the other sites.

    Remember, most if not all of the top sites on the web (think Amazon, Overstock, etc.) will be using much higher end enterprise targeted analytics packages like Webtrends or Coremetrics.

    Of course you can USE GA to improve the ranking of your site by improving your site in general. Making changes that decrease your bounce rate significantly may be something that actually helps your ranking. After all if someone searches for X on google, clicks on a link (w/ or w/o GA) then back-browses 1 second later, and tries a different link Google can see that all by themselves and decide that page may be a poor answer for that query.
    Now I have no idea if Google is actually doing the above. But it is the KIND of thing that they COULD do. In general they are trying to pick sites that ROCK for users. Make your site rock and then push it past the finish line with careful SEO.

    I look at it this way:
    1: Make sure you do not violate any SEO guidelines or best practices when building the site.
    2. Make the site rock. Best of the web for your market in content, sales, everything.
    3. Go back and tweak wording, add pages, etc. based on your webmetrics to optimize SEO

    I see a lot of people using this method
    1. Throw up an utterly useless page with the hopes of making money off of PPC, Affiliates, or a crappy product.
    2. Put all their effort into SEO and wonder why 'google doesn't like them' as if being at the top of the page would make much difference for such a poor site.

    Please everyone doing that second thing STOP. You are the reason we can't have a nice clean internet with mostly useful information (This means you Bizrate).
    Last edited by realityhack; Apr 11th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    9
    RealityHack - I appreciate your helpful comment!

    I now know that it definitely isn't GA that has diminished my website on the SERP but something else. What that something else is I'm still trying to determine. In the meantime I'm trying to set my GA back up and Google Web Master tools while the actual "Web Masters" at Emerald try and fix my links .
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,317
    Rep Power
    582
    Keep in mind that it *could* be that you did not go DOWN in the rankings but rather that others went UP. In other words you didn't do anything 'wrong' just not enough good things compared to others.
    Also smaller sites tend to fluctuate in the algo as every time pageranks, bad neighborhoods, or the algorithm is updated they see the greatest % change in their ranking factors.

    Comments on this post

    • rizmriz agrees
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    9
    Finally got links fixed. I wonder now, if these links did in fact have a majority to do with the drop in SERP, how long it'll take for my website to get back towards the first few pages on Google.
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by cloud9
    Hello All,

    Before I write about my website losing rankings, yes I did check the sticky about this! And I'm not sure I'm actually talking about Page Ranking the PR but of the SERP. I am new to these terms.

    My website recently fell through the pages of Google's Search Engine horribly within the past few days. (I type in certain search queries that usually show my website at top but now are no where to be found).

    Based upon the work I have been trying to do to the website in the past few days and after reading the Losing Rankings Sticky I'm assuming that my problem has to do with #4 - The Earthquake - The shifting of the websites structure.

    A few things I have done (and these were to try and help with page rankings) - First, I added the website to Google Analytics - The site hadn't been verified after 24 hours, I realize and have had other websites that have taken longer to verify - but having feared that this could be part of the problem of the search engine rankings I immediately deleted the website from the Google Analytics. Do you think Google Analytics had anything to do with the SERP?

    Another thing I did was that I added a new page on to the website "A featured links page" A link on the home page navigation bar on the left was added. The featured links page had links to my facebook, twitter, linkedin, and blog pages.

    My blog - My blog was recently added to a few free blog directories for the first time yesterday. Did these blog directories give my blog a bad name and thus impacting my main website because it is linked to a bad blog? (I thought I was helping! - I hope this isn't the problem...)

    A week ago a few of my main links on the homepage stopped working, they started turning up as "The page isn't redirecting properly" A problem I have found out is caused by linking to a page that directs back to the original page (causing an endless loop). These links were/are a vital part of my business and the webpage and they are there as forms for customers that pop up. These links still haven't been fixed by my original webmaster. These links not properly working, do you think they could have such an effect on my SERP?

    The only other thing I did to any of the pages on my website was center the images and text and also embedded a Google Map on the directions page.

    I appreciate any help that you all may be able to give me!
    You know, I've actually heard the theory about Google Analytics hurting rankings, but I never really saw it happen. it'd be interesting to run some sort of a case study with two very similar domains, one with analytics, and one without, and see how this works out...

    - Carlos, motoza
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Google losing Data
    By seoinfosys in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 4th, 2006, 11:53 PM
  2. What wrong with Google Rankings??????
    By googledon in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM
  3. See your sandboxed site's rank if it weren't sandboxed
    By dazzlindonna in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 306
    Last Post: Feb 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM
  4. unable to get out from Google glitch 17 Dec.2004
    By newcomer in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:22 PM
  5. Google Friends Newsletter December
    By Phoenix in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec 5th, 2003, 11:50 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo